Arrma Typhon 3s Battery Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreary

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of getting a arrma typhon 3s and I have this question for you guys before I buy it. I have heard many stories of lipo fires and I don't really wanna risk it so is it possible to use two nimh batteries in series instead of a 3s lipo? Will the voltage be the same or will it not be able to run properly?

Lipos are really only dangerous if you are mean to them. Take care of them and they are safe. I.e. don't over discharge, over charge or allow to become damaged. You'll never get the excitement or punch from a Nimh that you'll get from a lipo or 2.

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of getting a arrma typhon 3s and I have this question for you guys before I buy it. I have heard many stories of lipo fires and I don't really wanna risk it so is it possible to use two nimh batteries in series instead of a 3s lipo? Will the voltage be the same or will it not be able to run properly?

Just a suggestion, but why not start by getting a Brushed Typhon Mega then? You'll get a NIMH pack and charger included in the package, you can try out if you like it, and if you decide you need more battery power and you feel more confident you can go for a smaller 2S lipo. Or you can upgrade it to a brushless motor with 3S power somewhere along the line.

Getting a 3S Typhon and then trying to run it on NIMH packs just seems like a waste of money, IMHO.

Just a suggestion, but why not start by getting a Brushed Typhon Mega then? You'll get a NIMH pack and charger included in the package, you can try out if you like it, and if you decide you need more battery power and you feel more confident you can go for a smaller 2S lipo. Or you can upgrade it to a brushless motor with 3S power somewhere along the line.

Getting a 3S Typhon and then trying to run it on NIMH packs just seems like a waste of money, IMHO.
Thanks, I'm probably gonna get a mega first but just wanna know, can you can run a brushless motor on double nimh to get enough voltage?

Thanks, I'm probably gonna get a mega first but just wanna know, can you can run a brushless motor on double nimh to get enough voltage?
The problem isn’t voltage. Lipo batteries simply perform much better (punch, runtime) than NiMH.

There really is nothing to be worried about as long as you use common sense and do just a little research. It's really a topic that's been beaten to death, so any answers are out there.

I have many different brands and recently bought 2 typhon3s 3s. Both and stripped differentials within 6months. They are babied and only driven on black top. I would stay away from them. I still don’t know what happened to them. It makes grinding noise and barely moves. My Traxxas, kyosho, ofna last forever.

@brianu , Take it apart dude. Get wrenching. Or you will never know what is broken. RC is about this. Or you will be scratching your head being pissed off. Diffs and motors need maintennace. Which you never did.
That's no fun if it sits there broken. Why compare one brand to another as well.
Personally I think the Arrma 6s line is more forgiving, bashing wise.
I have a Tekno MT410 kit I built. It is flawless with the original diffs and all. Never broke it. But I would not compare it to my Notoruous which is exact dimensions and cost way less even though I have been through several diffs in 2 years.
Just me.:cool:

@brianu , Take it apart dude. Get wrenching. Or you will never know what is broken. RC is about this. Or you will be scratching your head being pissed off. Diffs and motors need maintennace. Which you never did.
That's no fun if it sits there broken. Why compare one brand to another as well.
Personally I think the Arrma 6s line is more forgiving, bashing wise.
I have a Tekno MT410 kit I built. It is flawless with the original diffs and all. Never broke it. But I would not compare it to my Notoruous which is exact dimensions and cost way less even though I have been through several diffs in 2 years.
Just me.:cool:
I hear ya. I am hesitant to put money into because it’s a little slow. I should have bought the 6s. I guess I will fix and sell if I can. You think it’s the diffs?

Yes the plastic diff main gears strip out. They do make EXB metal $upgrades$ for it. I would sell it and get 6s Typhon V5 or the roller version (TLR).
Just need to open the diffs up to see. Also, very important that you learn to open up the blx motor, cleanout the power module also. Clean all with Electrical Contact Spray. Use CRC brand from any auto parts store. Or Lectro-Motive spray. Similar.
Lube the 2 motor BB's with a drop of oil each. The motor needs frequent care or they brick fast. Just some tips.
I never cared for the 4x4 line. The 6s line is very mature and successful as Arrma rigs go. yes a bit more expensive.. With lots more upgrade parts available. They run fine on 4s or even 3s also. Albeit on 3s, a bit slower than you may like. I mix it up between 6s and 4s alot of the time.
I just got a TLRT Typhon Roller for $365. Just adding my own electrics. I already have decent upgrade radios here. I prefer rollers when I can. Prefer to build kits also. Like my Tekno MT410 I did.
Take about precision and quality. But yeah, you pay more for that.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back