Arrma Typhon 4x4 Mega gearing upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MostroPlanta

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello! I was planning to get an Arrma Typhon MEGA, in the box it says it can reach 30mph out of the box, but after watching a few speed test videos in youtube it can barely reach 17mph (27km/h). Does anyone know exactly what gear parts (and references if possible) do I need to make it get that speed? Thanks in advance ;)

Save the few extra bucks up. And get the blx brushless 50mph and a lot stronger. Most people on here that buy the mega always upgrade to brushless. Cheaper just to buy it right off the bat

Last edited:
Hello! I was planning to get an Arrma Typhon MEGA, in the box it says it can reach 30mph out of the box, but after watching a few speed test videos in youtube it can barely reach 17mph (27km/h). Does anyone know exactly what gear parts (and references if possible) do I need to make it get that speed? Thanks in advance ;)
Just go straight for the 3S BLX Typhon instead ?? something I wish I had done way cheaper In the long run
It took me $780aud to upgrade mine and I'm still not. Done yet, will take a further 500 to get to a bad ass state.
I'm also not a fan of 48pitch

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_213143.jpg
    IMG_20200905_213143.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20200905_213207.jpg
    IMG_20200905_213207.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 70
Unless its the v3 you will most likely end up spending more to upgrade than to just buy a 3s to start. If you want to learn the hard way like I do, try a holmes hobbies higher than 27t motor and a hobbyking 60amp esc with the 27 tooth pinion used and run it on 3s lipo. When that overheats buy a good 80amp or better brushless system off amazon or ebay and start replacing the parts that fail. Diff input gear is probably the first and my guess is the spur gear is next. I'm testing that spur gear theory now. But as soon as the big rock v3 is available I'm picking one up and learning all I can with the mega.

There's a balancing act, spend bigger to begin with or upgrade parts. Someone should put a table together showing the cost of the upgrade path compared to going up to the next model.

There's a balancing act, spend bigger to begin with or upgrade parts. Someone should put a table together showing the cost of the upgrade path compared to going up to the next model.

Lots of us posted this in many different Mega threads... If you can buy the parts from a chop shop, it is about $100 in parts not counting the new brushless motor and ESC, and a lot more if you have to buy parts at list price. With the new V3, it is just the new motor and ESC. A good combo will run $125 or so, a cheap GoolRC combo about $50, but might not work out of the box (or for very long).

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back