Typhon Arrma Typhon - Journey To Speed Build Thread..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
speed runs wreck tires though... traction is supposed to be the biggest issue when trying to go 130+ so that means they are just spinning... I will know soon enough...
Arrhh okay.
Nobody has really talked me through the tyres side of speed runs so I presumed it wouldn't be all that hard on tyres (wrong then). I went with a softer compound as I thought it would be better generally giving higher levels of grip albeit with an increased wear rate.
Maybe I should have gone for a little harder compound?

Been running my Typhon today with the 23T/50T setup for the first time and it is bl**dy quick already now.
The weather here has been cold and damp with rain earlier so the asphalt carpark I was using still had damp spots so traction was a problem. I did manage to get some heat into the tyres (which helped) and wow are they tacky now.

I did get to full throttle but I had to ease it on and didn't have the space to let the speed build up that high. Really need a speed meter now. :unsure:

Arrhh okay.
Nobody has really talked me through the tyres side of speed runs so I presumed it wouldn't be all that hard on tyres (wrong then). I went with a softer compound as I thought it would be better generally giving higher levels of grip albeit with an increased wear rate.
Maybe I should have gone for a little harder compound?

Been running my Typhon today with the 23T/50T setup for the first time and it is bl**dy quick already now.
The weather here has been cold and damp with rain earlier so the asphalt carpark I was using still had damp spots so traction was a problem. I did manage to get some heat into the tyres (which helped) and wow are they tacky now.

I did get to full throttle but I had to ease it on and didn't have the space to let the speed build up that high. Really need a speed meter now. :unsure:
@GMballistic What motor are you running with 23/50 pinion/spur? I have 25/50 pinion/spur with leopard 4092 1730kv, hw max5 esc, killmode 13,200uf cap pack in my senton. Haven’t run it yet though.

Last edited:
Temp was probably 80 or so, and the pavement had to be a bit hotter. Cwazy weather down here. Actually had the AC on yesterday.
Had to rub it in Cooter, just had to rub it in.

Sorry, I know youz people up north are catching hell! When it gets to 40 down here, we freeze! Was born in Miami Florida, and lived in Florida all my life, cept for 3 years in the Army. I did see some cold chit in Colorado and okiehoma!:)

im from fl and live here in NJ now... it was like 32 today!! warm enough to bash and break the ish out of my talion...

@GMballistic What motor are you running with 23/50 pinion/spur? I have 25/50 pinion/spur with leopard 4092 1730kv in my senton. Haven’t run it yet though.
I'm still running the standard BLX 4074 2050kV brushless motor (BLX 185 ESC) that came with my Typhon 6S 2018.

Hoping to see what the fastest speed is that I can get out of the stock motor and ESC first before I start thinking about changing the motor/ESC combo. It's my first brushless system car, first Arrma vehicle and first speed runner so taking my time before ditching the OEM motor/ESC. ;)

@Dutch213 Any news then on progress? :)

I'm still waiting on my spool, spur gear and another larger pinion I've bought but in other news I've found out about an R/c speed challenge event that happens annually. You might of heard of ROSSA as it supposed to cover the UK, USA, Australia and Europe, have you?

The event is being held about a 3.5 hour drive away from where I live in June this year with another event in August. No idea if I'm definitely going to attend but I'm hoping to.

Also I've been looking at used Garmin Forerunner 201 & 301 GPS models as a cheap alternative as a speed meter. From what I've seen they're pretty accurate at reading the speed, save highest speeds etc and can be had for £40+ up ($50 bucks). (y)
What do you think? Have you thought anymore about what you're going to use?

@Dutch213 Any news then on progress? :)

I'm still waiting on my spool, spur gear and another larger pinion I've bought but in other news I've found out about an R/c speed challenge event that happens annually. You might of heard of ROSSA as it supposed to cover the UK, USA, Australia and Europe, have you?

The event is being held about a 3.5 hour drive away from where I live in June this year with another event in August. No idea if I'm definitely going to attend but I'm hoping to.

Also I've been looking at used Garmin Forerunner 201 & 301 GPS models as a cheap alternative as a speed meter. From what I've seen they're pretty accurate at reading the speed, save highest speeds etc and can be had for £40+ up ($50 bucks). (y)
What do you think? Have you thought anymore about what you're going to use?

I actually just got an email from TP that they sent motor.... For some reason there is a delay in shipping... Hopefully i get it soon and i can start making runs...

I actually just got an email from TP that they sent motor.... For some reason there is a delay in shipping... Hopefully i get it soon and i can start making runs...

:D
Awesome news.

Oh I was going to mention to you that you should check out your GRP wheels on the rear inside edge to see how close they're to your upper arms/turn buckles.
After I ran mine I noticed a black mark on my wheel rim/alloy were it had rubbed on the inside (only on the rears). So I searched online and noticed then the same thing on another persons Typhon that's running GRP's (circled in red with an arrow pointing to mark).

I have moved my upper arm/turnbuckle down one position on the hub but it is actually the plastic hub which was touching the inside rim. Mine has worn away to fit now but I will be taking a little more off it just to give it some breathing room.
Hows yours look?

View attachment 30048

:D
Awesome news.

Oh I was going to mention to you that you should check out your GRP wheels on the rear inside edge to see how close they're to your upper arms/turn buckles.
After I ran mine I noticed a black mark on my wheel rim/alloy were it had rubbed on the inside (only on the rears). So I searched online and noticed then the same thing on another persons Typhon that's running GRP's (circled in red with an arrow pointing to mark).

View attachment 30051

I have moved my upper arm/turnbuckle down one position on the hub but it is actually the plastic hub which was touching the inside rim. Mine has worn away to fit now but I will be taking a little more off it just to give it some breathing room.
Hows yours look?

looks great bro!! when you gonna get a gps?

looks great bro!! when you gonna get a gps?
Oh that's not my Typhon, ...I urrhh made shall we say a more colourful choice with my wheels. :LOL:
This is mine (pre-lowering/suspension adjustments might I add);

Still looking at used GPS (mainly Garmin) on various places. Made some offers on eBay ones so will see what turns up.

Oh that's not my Typhon, ...I urrhh made shall we say a more colourful choice with my wheels. :LOL:
This is mine (pre-lowering/suspension adjustments might I add);

View attachment 30052

Still looking at used GPS (mainly Garmin) on various places. Made some offers on eBay ones so will see what turns up.

yours looks great too man!!

I honestly can't think of anything more important for a speed build than a reliable and accurate way to measure how fast it is going. Get them GPS's, boys!

@GMballistic, I knew @bicketybam was smart.... We gotta get some gps units bro....following the car with my friends car might not work...lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back