Typhon Arrma Typhon - Journey To Speed Build Thread..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even the 3S with all the plastic's are capable of some speed!

Crazy wheelie going on there @cootertwo .
What spur gear are you running with yours then?

I'm running a 34T pinion gear as well in my 6S with a 38T spur gear but haven't had a chance to really let it stretch out properly yet and see what it can do. Still repairing mine if you haven't checked my thread. :LOL:

Even the 3S with all the plastic's are capable of some speed!
My god Cooter! That thing was completely vertical when it went by you! I can't believe it went back down on all fours after getting that high, but glad that it did.

My god Cooter! That thing was completely vertical when it went by you! I can't believe it went back down on all fours after getting that high, but glad that it did.

Notorious J
Thanks for picking that out. I didn't know it went that far over, and was amazed that it came back down. I'm still learning Cyberlink Power Director, and realized too late after I posted it on you tube, that a slo mo would have been neat.
GMballistic
I'm running the stock size prue gear, just metal instead of plastic. I have not yet found anything smaller that will fit on the slipper assy of the 3S.

Crazy wheelie going on there @cootertwo .
What spur gear are you running with yours then?

I'm running a 34T pinion gear as well in my 6S with a 38T spur gear but haven't had a chance to really let it stretch out properly yet and see what it can do. Still repairing mine if you haven't checked my thread. :LOL:
I'm anxious to see your results with that combo. I understand you're still running stock electronics? Will you be running a cap pack?

I'm anxious to see your results with that combo. I understand you're still running stock electronics? Will you be running a cap pack?
Yes I'm still running all the stock electronics, ...so far so good with no heat issues or anything.

I'm not all that clued up on cap packs although I am learning. I think for now I will leave it as is but it is definitely something a may have to get eventually if I start getting into triple digits with the Typhon. Which is the plan. :D

I would have thought a 23t pinion would have given higher speeds. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the stock high speed pinion a 16t that's suppose to get to 60+ mph? Didnt think you would lose that much speed with the smaller grp tires.
The stock wheels are about 20% bigger in circumference compared to the GRPs. Assuming the same RPM, the stock wheels in theory would yield something closer to 85 MPH, perhaps more due to ballooning.

Man, i tried soldering my cap pack to that big a$$ wire on esc and got totally denied... My soldering iron was not having it... Just had to buy a big dog to finish this project... sucks... If anyone plans on soldering 6.5 g wire make sure you have a hot iron....

Man, i tried soldering my cap pack to that big a$$ wire on esc and got totally denied... My soldering iron was not having it... Just had to buy a big dog to finish this project... sucks... If anyone plans on soldering 6.5 g wire make sure you have a hot iron....
I can imagine that is one of the tougher DIY projects. In addition to a high wattage iron, be sure to use a large chizel or blade style tip. The larger mass will allow more heat to be stored and delivered quickly (ironically, conceptually similar to larger capacitors). How are you planning to heat shrink the solder joint? I imagine you'd have to unsolder the wires at the ESC or at the XT90?

I can imagine that is one of the tougher DIY projects. In addition to a high wattage iron, be sure to use a large chizel or blade style tip. The larger mass will allow more heat to be stored and delivered quickly (ironically, conceptually similar to larger capacitors). How are you planning to heat shrink the solder joint? I imagine you'd have to unsolder the wires at the ESC or at the XT90?

I have a mamba monster xlx... It comes with motor connectors but i had to solder male connectors on the TP motor which i did successfully but the weller iron didnt have enough heat to tie in the cap pack to the battery wires cause they are like a 1/4' thick each.... I use heat shrink for all the connectors and joints...

img_3141-jpg.33129

Attachments

• IMG_3141.JPG
    IMG_3141.JPG
    356.7 KB · Views: 248
So Dutch just wondered have you tried the Typhon bodyshell on it yet since you've done your mods?

I assume you're going to have to reposition the rear body post mounts then somehow are you?

Looking cool AF so far, can't wait for you to get your first runs done. :D

It fits... i had it on earlier when all the wires were up in the receiver box... I need body mount extension on the back and im gonna cut the fan posts down a little but otherwise it goes on nice...

God your beautiful! and the dogs gorgeous too ! :D

You look like joe Manganiello!!! I'm not gay but if I was... OMG ;)

But theres a thread In the premium members section that has a show us your pets so if you donate to the forum you can totally check out my pets and other premium members pets too :D
I have a mamba monster xlx... It comes with motor connectors but i had to solder male connectors on the TP motor which i did successfully but the weller iron didnt have enough heat to tie in the cap pack to the battery wires cause they are like a 1/4' thick each.... I use heat shrink for all the connectors and joints...

View attachment 33131
img_3141-jpg.33129
I use a small butane torch to solder the larger 6.5mm bullet style motor connectors; it is much easier and faster than using a soldering gun for sure. $20 saves a lot of hassell and time ;)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0176TZO9E/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_07TKCbAFBBSH5

Last edited:
Just found this thread- and it will be dangerous to my wallet as I was already considering getting a Typhon for a speed rig...nd having someone pretty local to me already doing it just gives me an excuse..

Also- maybe we can talk to Island dragway and set up a day they allow us to come in the afternoon for runs.

I've never built a speed RC, but I have gone really fast in real cars I've built, been to several airport runways for speed runs in real life.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back