Typhon Arrma typhon mega brushless upgrade.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbulsara

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Hi all,
Complete noob, I know I should have gotten the 3s. But it is hard to explain that to the gestapo (wife). I want to upgrade the mega to a relatively cheap brushless system ( less than 90 pds uk) do you have any suggestions, for a bit more speed. I would like to continue using the nimh batteries if possible. What kind of esc motor can I get for that price bracket? If possible I would like to keep stock gearing just to be easier to do. I am a complete noob so sorry if I am asking too much

Do you plan to run lipos in it at all? Reason I ask is that the diff output gears on the Mega models are entirely plastic and don't hold up to brushless power very well so along with the brushless kit you would at the very least need the Mega HD diff output gears.

I've never tried using a nimh battery with a brushless system. Not sure how beneficial it would be. If I'm not mistaking, the mega can handle a 2S battery. Have you tried that? I remember seeing a noticeable difference in speed and run time when using 2S batteries in a brushed setup. It would be cheaper than a brushless system and the gears should be able to handle it.

Do you plan to run lipos in it at all? Reason I ask is that the diff output gears on the Mega models are entirely plastic and don't hold up to brushless power very well so along with the brushless kit you would at the very least need the Mega HD diff output gears.
Thanks for your reply. Ok, I can try updating the gears too I kind of had that in mind from my brief reading of several posts. Yes eventually I will upgrade to lipos too. But I at the moment I wanted to change to brushless as a project whilst on lockdown... Thus why I am looking for a relatively inexpensive motor plus esc combo <90£. I am not sure if gettin 1/8 or 1/10 or what motor fits the typhon and whether there is a good combo somewhere.
I've never tried using a nimh battery with a brushless system. Not sure how beneficial it would be. If I'm not mistaking, the mega can handle a 2S battery. Have you tried that? I remember seeing a noticeable difference in speed and run time when using 2S batteries in a brushed setup. It would be cheaper than a brushless system and the gears should be able to handle it.
Thanks for the reply. I will eventually upgrade to lipos, I just really wanted to install a brushless system. But if there is no such medium range system in this price bracket I might make the move to lipos first. I will also be upgrading the gears. Best

Thanks for your reply. Ok, I can try updating the gears too I kind of had that in mind from my brief reading of several posts. Yes eventually I will upgrade to lipos too. But I at the moment I wanted to change to brushless as a project whilst on lockdown... Thus why I am looking for a relatively inexpensive motor plus esc combo <90£. I am not sure if gettin 1/8 or 1/10 or what motor fits the typhon and whether there is a good combo somewhere.

Thanks for the reply. I will eventually upgrade to lipos, I just really wanted to install a brushless system. But if there is no such medium range system in this price bracket I might make the move to lipos first. I will also be upgrading the gears. Best
Yes the gears are plastic but I can tell you for a fact they are not doom and gloom weak as some say.
It has been my experience that they will last a bit if you don't set the punch up to high levels and stab it everything you do.
I have talked with people who claim I "Need" to replace or they will fail immediately if not sooner but I soon learned they have never done the swap and keep perpetuating what they read.
There have been several Granites and a Typhon or two that were purchased really cheap for various reasons and two years later I am still running a 3s lipo brushless blx100.
The first diff gear i have ever broken was 6-8 weeks or so ago with the crew that met in Ann Arbor and was learning to jump and literally folded a Granite in half.
So my advice is to do the brushless swap knowing there are weak points buy the parts in preparation for the inevitable and run it till it breaks.
These are supposed to be fun and when people worry and become obsessed with what it's the fun goes away.
Swap, Run, Repair and Run more.

I recently upgraded an old RWD RC to brushless. Went with a ~$40 ESC and motor combo from banggood.com. The ESC said it could handle 2s and 3s batteries but when using a 3s, the ESC got fried. That car came with all metal gears so I haven't changed any of those. Got a different cheap ESC but have just been running that on 2s. For around £90, you can find a decent combo. Then you could also just run it with stock gearing until something breaks. I'm not sure what retailers you're considering for this. Jenny's RC sells the BLX100 ESC and motor for about $95, although I'm not sure if they ship to you or how much it would cost to ship them. And those parts aren't always in stock, since they're a popular shop.

I don't want to dissapoint you but going brushless in a Mega version is a moneypit.
At least upgrade the ESC, Motor, motormount, and clutch to the BLX 3S system, if you only upgrade the ESC and motor it will be a disaster.
Believe me I tried it.
This ☝?☝?☝?

Cut bait and buy a new rig. Run the MEGA as is. You will then have two cars. Don’t compound your first mistake with another one. You say you learned a lesson about buying the brushed, we are trying to help you avoid another mistake.

I don't want to dissapoint you but going brushless in a Mega version is a moneypit.
At least upgrade the ESC, Motor, motormount, and clutch to the BLX 3S system, if you only upgrade the ESC and motor it will be a disaster.
Believe me I tried it.
I've read that here before as well. There's a good chance that after upgrading the ESC and motor, parts will continue breaking and you could end up spending as much on parts as a brushless typhon costs. However, upgrading it yourself is fun and something to do during these times. Out of my 4 cars, I've left one brushed which is perfect for friends to use when just starting out. Something I can even lend to someone for a while so they can get used to the wonderful world of RC.
I suppose it may also be easier to explain a less expensive upgrade to the Gestapo rather than "I want another RC car. Cause faster."

Believe me I tried it.
Thanks for this I assume that the most expensive thing will be the motor esc combo. Motor mount and clutch won’t be too much I assume? I would do it in parts over a few months. So I would get the esc motor and maybe run a bit with it and then the other parts you suggested.
I've read that here before as well. There's a good chance that after upgrading the ESC and motor, parts will continue breaking and you could end up spending as much on parts as a brushless typhon costs. However, upgrading it yourself is fun and something to do during these times. Out of my 4 cars, I've left one brushed which is perfect for friends to use when just starting out. Something I can even lend to someone for a while so they can get used to the wonderful world of RC.
I suppose it may also be easier to explain a less expensive upgrade to the Gestapo rather than "I want another RC car. Cause faster."
This is ultimately what I want to do. I think you understand gestapo language. Upgrading a car even if more expensive on the long run is better than having two cars. Simple maths... I have seen the blx 100 esc for sale for reasonable price. I might get one and then next month the engine and other parts. What engine would you recomend? To go with that esc?

If possible, I'd get the BLX motor that the 3s comes with, however, I'm not very experienced with brushless systems. The one I upgraded, I went with the cheapest option I could find and the motor has been doing fine. Regarding the replacement parts, they shouldn't be too expensive. Especially since you'll be using the 3s parts rather than putting in mega replacements that'll break again and again.

Howdy @jimbulsara , and Welcome!

I started with a Mega Granite, and upgraded to full BLX. Not the most economical way to go in terms of total money spent, but it does allow you to spread the purchases across several paychecks.

For a cheap brushless combo, I used a Racerstar combo from Banggood. 3800kv 3660 motor with a 80a ESC, for about $50(us). Racerstar is a rebrand of GoolRC - lots of GoolRC rebrands are out there - Oday and Surpass being another few. Be warned these are NOT waterproof, and often the ESC is either dead out of the box, or dies right away. If it lasts few the first few packs, it will probably last a long time (abuse not withstanding). My first ESC was DOA, Banggood replaced it, the second has several dozen runs on it... I have had several other Racerstar ESC and motors, all the motors have been great, the ESC's have all failed, except for my current 80a. I do expect my current ESC to die eventually, and will replace it then with something better (maybe a Castle MX? :) )

Here is the combo I run - (now $60us)
https://usa.banggood.com/Racerstar-3660-Brushless-Waterproof-Sensorless-Motor-80A-ESC-For-18-110-Short-Course-Rally-Car-p-1069993.html

Note this motor is STRONG. It won't like Nimh, and your spur and diffs won't like it's power.

If you really want to stay wiht Nimh for a while, you will need a mild motor. I have run a 3650 3300k on 6-cell and 7 cell nimh. Works. Racerstar does not have a 3650 3300kv, but they have a 3100kv. This would probably be a good match.
https://usa.banggood.com/Racerstar-3650-Sensorless-Brushless-Waterproof-Motor-60A-ESC-For-110-Monster-Truck-Truggy-Cars-p-1056317.html

It will be a big power bump over the stock brushed motor, but hopefully not so much that you start blowing spur gears and diff inputs every run. You nay never need the BLX slipper and diffs, too. Get the steel spur, and the HD17t input, and you will probably be good. Once you get upgraded, and get lipo, this motor will do good on 3s too.

Edit - to get that ESC into Nimh mode, you need the programing card. Lucky, it is cheap.
https://usa.banggood.com/Racerstar-LED-Program-Card-For-25354560A-ESC-Motor-Set-p-1057127.html

Keep us updated with your adventure!

Jerry

Howdy @jimbulsara , and Welcome!

I started with a Mega Granite, and upgraded to full BLX. Not the most economical way to go in terms of total money spent, but it does allow you to spread the purchases across several paychecks.

For a cheap brushless combo, I used a Racerstar combo from Banggood. 3800kv 3660 motor with a 80a ESC, for about $50(us). Racerstar is a rebrand of GoolRC - lots of GoolRC rebrands are out there - Oday and Surpass being another few. Be warned these are NOT waterproof, and often the ESC is either dead out of the box, or dies right away. If it lasts few the first few packs, it will probably last a long time (abuse not withstanding). My first ESC was DOA, Banggood replaced it, the second has several dozen runs on it... I have had several other Racerstar ESC and motors, all the motors have been great, the ESC's have all failed, except for my current 80a. I do expect my current ESC to die eventually, and will replace it then with something better (maybe a Castle MX? :) )

Here is the combo I run - (now $60us)
https://usa.banggood.com/Racerstar-3660-Brushless-Waterproof-Sensorless-Motor-80A-ESC-For-18-110-Short-Course-Rally-Car-p-1069993.html

Note this motor is STRONG. It won't like Nimh, and your spur and diffs won't like it's power.

If you really want to stay wiht Nimh for a while, you will need a mild motor. I have run a 3650 3300k on 6-cell and 7 cell nimh. Works. Racerstar does not have a 3650 3300kv, but they have a 3100kv. This would probably be a good match.
https://usa.banggood.com/Racerstar-3650-Sensorless-Brushless-Waterproof-Motor-60A-ESC-For-110-Monster-Truck-Truggy-Cars-p-1056317.html

It will be a big power bump over the stock brushed motor, but hopefully not so much that you start blowing spur gears and diff inputs every run. You nay never need the BLX slipper and diffs, too. Get the steel spur, and the HD17t input, and you will probably be good. Once you get upgraded, and get lipo, this motor will do good on 3s too.

Edit - to get that ESC into Nimh mode, you need the programing card. Lucky, it is cheap.
https://usa.banggood.com/Racerstar-LED-Program-Card-For-25354560A-ESC-Motor-Set-p-1057127.html

Keep us updated with your adventure!

Jerry
Thank you for such a detailed post. I am leaning towards buying the arrma blx esc 100. Could I then buy one of these engines? Is this the right away to go about it? Or should I buy a combo? That is are the escs universal? If so I would buy the Arrma one . And then either the Arrma engine or a different one. If they are better of course.
Again thanks. I am a pure noob and appreciate the help

Hi all,
Complete noob, I know I should have gotten the 3s. But it is hard to explain that to the gestapo (wife). I want to upgrade the mega to a relatively cheap brushless system ( less than 90 pds uk) do you have any suggestions, for a bit more speed. I would like to continue using the nimh batteries if possible. What kind of esc motor can I get for that price bracket? If possible I would like to keep stock gearing just to be easier to do. I am a complete noob so sorry if I am asking too much
I done exactly this, bought a typhon mega and thought its not fast enough and started to modify it... Personally the most I'd go on the mega would be a 17t pinion and a 2s lipo which gives nigh 30/32 mph, i did this then I wanted more so I fitted a hobbywing max10sct esc and 4000kv motor combo and ran it with a 2s pack wow it was much quicker, so I ran a 3s pack it was ballistic till it melted the slipper clutch, bearing, spur housing!!
Honesty on the mega stock drive train, a 48dp 17t pinion and a 2s lipo pack is its limit, if you plan to go new esc and Brushless combo on 2s/3s you'll need the following
3s blx slipper assembly
3s blx diffs
3s 13t hd diff out drives
3s high speed shaft support and bearing
Brushless motor and esc combo

Although I eventually went with BLX parts, it's not all doom and gloom as everybody makes it out to be to upgrade a Mega.

I have sort of followed the line of everybody else just skip the Mega don't upgrade a Mega it's not worth it. It is what it is, you have it enjoy it have fun upgrading it.

I would recommend though starting with a name brand esc like a Hobbywing or one of the RTR (ready to run) versions of the Hobbywing escs. Start at least with a 120a esc to leave more headroom for motor upgrades then start with a cheap (Racestar, Surpass, Goolrc) 3650 size motor around 3100kv to 3900kv to start with if you're going to use nimh batteries and 48p gearing. I use a lot of the cheap Goolrc, Racerstar, Surpass etc. motors and they all work fine it's just the escs can be very unreliable. A 60a esc 3650 motor combo can work but eventually you will probably want more power that's why I suggest starting with a 120a esc (handle more load and current (amps) then do motor upgrades if you want more power (motors can be had cheap). Upgrade drivetrain to BLX parts if and when things break or strip.

Heres where I would start (given your currency reference I assume you're in the UK)

ESC https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Ori...876810?hash=item4b74d8418a:g:Ko4AAOSw5PleRU0I
17t HD input https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/302967/
Cheap motor https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-3900K...hash=item1a93320716:m:mKVoAabL2M8zl9BHNqJSP7w
Adjustable motor mount https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/314930/

One thing about the cheap escs though is they already have deans connectors installed so batteries will be easy to find and you won't have to do any soldering.

Last edited:
I done exactly this, bought a typhon mega and thought its not fast enough and started to modify it... Personally the most I'd go on the mega would be a 17t pinion and a 2s lipo which gives nigh 30/32 mph, i did this then I wanted more so I fitted a hobbywing max10sct esc and 4000kv motor combo and ran it with a 2s pack wow it was much quicker, so I ran a 3s pack it was ballistic till it melted the slipper clutch, bearing, spur housing!!
Honesty on the mega stock drive train, a 48dp 17t pinion and a 2s lipo pack is its limit, if you plan to go new esc and Brushless combo on 2s/3s you'll need the following
3s blx slipper assembly
3s blx diffs
3s 13t hd diff out drives
3s high speed shaft support and bearing
Brushless motor and esc combo
One of the things that confuses me , is the difference from a max10 to a max8. Are the motors for typhon supposed to be 1/8 th scale? Does this make a difference if you use a 1/10? I am guessing those extra parts won’t be too expensive? The main thing is going to be the esc and the motor?

One of the things that confuses me , is the difference from a max10 to a max8. Are the motors for typhon supposed to be 1/8 th scale? Does this make a difference if you use a 1/10? I am guessing those extra parts won’t be too expensive? The main thing is going to be the esc and the motor?
The max 10 is 120 amp the max 8 is 150 amps, the max 10 is plenty for the typhon mega
I got all the parts from jrc on ebay for a very reasonable cost the esc and motor combo will be the most expensive bits

Although I eventually went with BLX parts, it's not all doom and gloom as everybody makes it out to be to upgrade a Mega.

I have sort of followed the line of everybody else just skip the Mega don't upgrade a Mega it's not worth it. It is what it is, you have it enjoy it have fun upgrading it.

I would recommend though starting with a name brand esc like a Hobbywing or one of the RTR (ready to run) versions of the Hobbywing escs. Start at least with a 120a esc to leave me headroom for motor upgrades then start with a cheap (Racestar, Surpass, Goolrc) 3650 size motor around 3100kv to 3900kv to start with if you're going to use nimh batteries and 48p gearing. I use a lot of the cheap Goolrc, Racerstar, Surpass etc. motors and they all work fine it's just the escs can be very unreliable. A 60a esc 3650 motor combo can work but eventually you will probably want more power that's why I suggest starting with a 120a esc (handle more load and current (amps) then do motor upgrades (motors can be had cheap).

Heres where I would start (given your currency reference I assume you're in the UK)

ESC https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Ori...876810?hash=item4b74d8418a:g:Ko4AAOSw5PleRU0I
!&
17t HD input https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/302967/
Cheap motor https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-3900K...hash=item1a93320716:m:mKVoAabL2M8zl9BHNqJSP7w
Adjustable motor mount https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/314930/

One thing about the cheap combos though is they already have deans connectors installed so batteries will be easy to find and you won't have to do any soldering.
Wow. Thanks a lot. This is exactly what I was looking for. Is this esc good? I will probably get it then. Am I safe to then upgrade the motor as I go along. Like you say I want to start smallish. Thanks a lot for your post. I really appreciate it
Wow. Thanks a lot. This is exactly what I was looking for. Is this esc good? I will probably get it then. Am I safe to then upgrade the motor as I go along. Like you say I want to start smallish. Thanks a lot for your post. I really appreciate it
Also does that esc fit into the typhon?

Also does that esc fit into the typhon?

I am pretty sure the esc is a rebrand Hobbywing WP SC8 (another esc I would recommend) which is what I run in my Granite now and yes it does fit. If you got the WP SC8 or Max10 SCT 120a the escs will come with a mounting plate (the RTR versions won't come with it) that will bolt right up to the stock esc mounting holes. But some quality double-sided tape should hold unless you plan on doing some heavy bashing (or you could make your own mounting plate). Yes the esc is 4s capable so should be good enough for most future motor upgrades. I really don't think you would want more than 4s power down the road.

The BLX100 ESC would work with most any brushless motor, so long as it is not a big 1/8 motor. And yes, it would be better than the Racerstar I linked.

For Max10 vs Max8, realize there are two different Max10 - the regular max10 - 100a, and the Max10SCT - 120a. Many of us think the BLX100 ESC is a Max10, and the BLX120 is a Max10SCT, both with Arrma programing.

One last thought on the motor - the motor shaft. Seems like a minor thing, but most 3650 will have a 1/8" (3.2mm) shaft, most 3660 will have a 5mm shaft. You mega has a 1/8 shaft, and most 48p pinions have the smaller 1/8" shaft. So if you get a 3660 motor, you will have a harder time finding a 5mm 48p pinion gear.

Last - motor size and batteries - if you go with a 3660 motor, your Nimh batteries will have trouble. Nimh really will not support big amp loads very well, which is why I was suggesting the 3650 size motor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back