Typhon Arrma typhon mega brushless upgrade.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, I will play with the pinions. I might get a nimh 9.6 battery for now then and try to get more speed too. I will move to lipos soonish, i am waiting for the batsafe to come in stock here in the uk so i can store the lipos inside it in a sealed container on my patio. I will install the HD input to the back as suggested.
The aluminium motor mount is it worth it to get it now? can i swap the parts on the current one to the aluminium one (with the 17 pinion)?

They have different teeth, if you change one it will spin a different speed to the other non HD , you can listen or find out for yourself the hard way I’m just trying to be helpful, Take a Good look at this picture
Cool, I will play with the pinions. I might get a nimh 9.6 battery for now then and try to get more speed too. I will move to lipos soonish, i am waiting for the batsafe to come in stock here in the uk so i can store the lipos inside it in a sealed container on my patio. I will install the HD input to the back as suggested.
The aluminium motor mount is it worth it to get it now? can i swap the parts on the current one to the aluminium one (with the 17 pinion)?

You cannot change the rear for the BLX Input without swapping the whole lot the gears size is different and

If you get the aluminum motor plate with the slots, then yes. If you get the BLX3s motor plate, it has holes for different pinions, like the Mega. BUT - the holes are spaced for 32p gears. You will not be able to use it without either swapping to the BLX 32p spur (and 32p pinions) or cutting the mount to connect the dots and make it a slotted motor mount.

As for the 8-cell 9.6v Nimh, personally, I would not go that route. Save your money for the Batsafe and decent Lipos.

I don’t think that’ll work they have different size teeth, The BLX has Fewer Larger Teeth
You can’t just change One component .

They have different teeth, if you change one it will spin a different speed to the other non HD , you can listen or find out for yourself the hard way I’m just trying to be helpful, Take a Good look at this picture

You cannot change the rear for the BLX Input without swapping the whole lot the gears size is different and

You can run a HD17T pinion without changing everything. The HD17t is made to work with the MEGA gears.

If you get the aluminum motor plate with the slots, then yes. If you get the BLX3s motor plate, it has holes for different pinions, like the Mega. BUT - the holes are spaced for 32p gears. You will not be able to use it without either swapping to the BLX 32p spur (and 32p pinions) or cutting the mount to connect the dots and make it a slotted motor mount.

As for the 8-cell 9.6v Nimh, personally, I would not go that route. Save your money for the Batsafe and decent Lipos.

Exactly you Cannot Just Swap one Component it will not work you either do the Whole lot or Not at all

Ahh i see, i get why there are two part numbers that look the same as well. If i do get the 3blx motor mount and the spur and the respective pinions, i can use it as is in the mega as is? or will i also have to change other gears in the car? I know they are different pitch (3s blx to mega). Thus if i am upgrading now the motor mount and i get the 3sblx with the 32 spur and respective pinion instead of the aluminium motor mount at this time I wont have to upgrade it down the line as i keep adding more 3sblx parts? Am i correct?

First - There are 2 different sets of gears - the Pinion/Spur, and the diffs (input and ring). One does not effect the other.

For the pinion/spur, the Mega is 48p and the BLX is 32p. If you switch the spur, you MUST switch the pinion. Also, if you switch the Spur, you MUST switch the slipper too.

On the slipper, there are 3 different slippers, and each MUST use the correct spur. There is the Mega, the 3s, and the 4s. The 3s and 4s spurs are both 32p, but the 4s is metal. The slipper on the 4s is also stronger. Most of us upgrading from Mega get the 3s slipper.

Motor mount - there are three motor mounts. Mega (plastic, drilled for 48p pinions) the BLX (metal, drilled for 32p pinions, same for 3s and 4s) and the optional sliding metal motor mount. If you upgrade to either of the BLX spur gears, you need one of the metal motor mounts - either the BLX or the slotted optional one.

For the Diffs, there are 2 different diff sets. The Mega is a 17/42, and the BLX is 13/37. The Mega comes stock with an all plastic diff input shaft/gear, but has the optional "Heavy Duty" HD17T input - it has a metal shaft with the same 17t plastic gear. You cannot mix the 17t input with the 37t diff, or the 13t input with the 42t diff.

Clear?

First - There are 2 different sets of gears - the Pinion/Spur, and the diffs (input and ring). One does not effect the other.

For the pinion/spur, the Mega is 48p and the BLX is 32p. If you switch the spur, you MUST switch the pinion. Also, if you switch the Spur, you MUST switch the slipper too.

On the slipper, there are 3 different slippers, and each MUST use the correct spur. There is the Mega, the 3s, and the 4s. The 3s and 4s spurs are both 32p, but the 4s is metal. The slipper on the 4s is also stronger. Most of us upgrading from Mega get the 3s slipper.

Motor mount - there are three motor mounts. Mega (plastic, drilled for 48p pinions) the BLX (metal, drilled for 32p pinions, same for 3s and 4s) and the optional sliding metal motor mount. If you upgrade to either of the BLX spur gears, you need one of the metal motor mounts - either the BLX or the slotted optional one.

For the Diffs, there are 2 different diff sets. The Mega is a 17/42, and the BLX is 13/37. The Mega comes stock with an all plastic diff input shaft/gear, but has the optional "Heavy Duty" HD17T input - it has a metal shaft with the same 17t plastic gear. You cannot mix the 17t input with the 37t diff, or the 13t input with the 42t diff.

Clear?
Hi,
Thanks for your post, at this time i should just call you the professor. Thanks for replying even though i might ask stupid and basic questions. I actually think i understand. The Blx motor mount has pinions/spur with different pitch and number of teeth, which fits into the BLX motor mount. If i was to get the BLX motor mount I would need to get the spur with the slipper (https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA310949) and the respective pinion. This just transfers the rotation from the motor which is separate from the differentials, which transfer rotations to the wheels. Now, I assume if i was to get the BLX motor assembly (slipper+spur+pinion+motor mount) this it would fit as is into my current setup.

Is the blx one much better that the mega one, that it warrants the purchase of all the pieces instead of getting the optional aluminium motor mount for the mega assembly (i.e. the regular mega setup with only the aluminium motor mount). If so the BLX motor mount might be the piece i upgrade first as it is a bit expensive here in the uk, 42 pds for the slipper set https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=442299 plus around 12-17 for the motor mount and the pinion.

I see the differentials are separate completely from the motor mount and the gears therein. I might just get the 17hd for now, and eventually upgrade to the BLX parts.

Again, Many thanks Jerry.

@Jerry-rigged
Hi
Further update, I bought the blx slipper assembly. I will get the Blx motor mount and pinion soon too.
I have another question (sorry...) i saw that the blx differentials share most of the same parts with the mega ( the teeth size and number are different thougH). If I change the input gear to the 17hd version. Will the mega differential with the the input gears hold if/when I move to 3s lipo? I have seen some videos regarding the differential assembly and it looks quite tricky. If it the mega differential shares some of the parts I would assume it would also hold well when I move to 3s? Otherwise I might wait around see when people sell the blx assembled differential .

Speed test on my new GPS meter today on the typhon it tops out at 55mph, 5300 mah 3s pack, 20t pinion, 120 amp esc, 4000kv motor, didn't think it was to bad, fast enough for me

Recently found out the trailered radar speed limit signs that the police put out will pick up my RC cars and show their speed. Stock Typhon clocked 45 mph. Put in the 20 tooth pinion and will try again, once the loctite has cured. The radar sign I found also has flashing red and blue lights when you're going more than 5 mph over the 25 mph limit. It's a nice touch. :)

Recently found out the trailered radar speed limit signs that the police put out will pick up my RC cars and show their speed. Stock Typhon clocked 45 mph. Put in the 20 tooth pinion and will try again, once the loctite has cured. The radar sign I found also has flashing red and blue lights when you're going more than 5 mph over the 25 mph limit. It's a nice touch. :)
We need video! ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️:cool::cool:

@Jerry-rigged ,@Cheapbastard
Further update. The brushless motor finally arrived, I also ended up getting a max 10.
With just the 3100 motor the car already runs faster And gets to around 60 Celsius. I will get the blx spur and pinion soon.
However one of the front shocks which was leaking since I took it out of the box Came apart during a small bump( the shaft came of the socking). I will get a replacement soon too.
The motor wires fit but are a bit tight should I get some cable extenders?
Thanks for all the help all.

Attachments

• 08A50F19-7EDA-466C-8D97-F32AAB070BA0.jpeg
    08A50F19-7EDA-466C-8D97-F32AAB070BA0.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 53
Further update. The brushless motor finally arrived, I also ended up getting a max 10.
With just the 3100 motor the car already runs faster And gets to around 60 Celsius. I will get the blx spur and pinion soon.
However one of the front shocks which was leaking since I took it out of the box Came apart during a small bump( the shaft came of the socking). I will get a replacement soon too.

It looks fine to me as long as the wires aren't so tight that they are pulling the esc towards the motor. If and when you move to a longer can motor like a 3660 motor then they should fit even better.

So long as they are not pulling on the ESC plugs, they should be fine. If you can solder, you could re-solder the motor bullets to be 90deg plugs, that would take the strain off the wires.
Here is a pic to show what I mean.i just soldered the bullet 90° to the wire. In this case, I do have cable extenders, but they are too long...
Screenshot_20200524-145928_Video Player.jpg

Last edited:
It looks fine to me as long as the wires aren't so tight that they are pulling the esc towards the motor. If and when you move to a longer can motor like a 3660 motor then they should fit even better.
So long as they are not pulling on the ESC plugs, they should be fine. If you can solder, you could re-solder the motor bullets to be 90deg plugs, that would take the strain off the wires.
Thanks guys. I don’t think it is pulling the esc. I will eventually move to a 3660 size. I have to say that the standard pinion was a bit hard to center with the spur, I think I didn’t do it properly because it stripped about 1mm Or less of the spur at one end:( . I don’t know how it happened. I will be moving to the blx soonish anyways.

@Jerry-rigged
Hi
Further update, I bought the blx slipper assembly. I will get the Blx motor mount and pinion soon too.
I have another question (sorry...) i saw that the blx differentials share most of the same parts with the mega ( the teeth size and number are different thougH). If I change the input gear to the 17hd version. Will the mega differential with the the input gears hold if/when I move to 3s lipo? I have seen some videos regarding the differential assembly and it looks quite tricky. If it the mega differential shares some of the parts I would assume it would also hold well when I move to 3s? Otherwise I might wait around see when people sell the blx assembled differential .

Did you get AR310882 and AR310881 parts along with the assembly or did you have to buy them separately. I am upgrading my slipper on granite mega. But I couldn't find anything about what are the included parts that come with this assembly.

Did you get AR310882 and AR310881 parts along with the assembly or did you have to buy them separately. I am upgrading my slipper on granite mega. But I couldn't find anything about what are the included parts that come with this assembly.

You have to buy those pieces separately. What you see in the picture when you buy the (AR310949) factory assembly is what you get missing those two pieces.

Fully assembled pics are from kit breakers like Jennys RC, who sell these fully assembled taken from a new disassembled model.

https://jennysrc.com/search?type=product&q=4X4+BLX+spur
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arrma-BIG-...510073?hash=item3657841d79:g:ytcAAOSwLEtdxwrt

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back