Arrma Vorteks 3S BLX build thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bukshypro

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon TLR
  3. Vorteks
heya,
So this used to be a stock Vorteks, but stock tyres are super low quality imo and don't allow good air control, so here we are right now.
I am waiting for a 25t servo saver and will be installing a Savox 0.08s 30kg servo into it. Could be 0.06 but the ESC doesn't do 8.4V :|
I think I will have to gear it down to 17 or even 16 because the tyres are way bigger then stock tyres and I also got dusty motors dirt cover so ventilation is not that happy.

for batteries, I run 7000 and 8000mah 100C Zeee batteries. the 7000fits lesser, but the 8000mah hard case fits really well and I can do 30-40min of bashing.

will post more pictures soon. absolutely can't wait to install the Savox servo

IMG-20221122-175314.jpeg

Last edited:
heya,
So this used to be a stock Vorteks, but stock tyres are super low quality imo and don't allow good air control, so here we are right now.
I am waiting for a 25t servo saver and will be installing a Savox 0.08s 30kg servo into it. Could be 0.06 but the ESC doesn't do 8.4V :|
I think I will have to gear it down to 17 or even 16 because the tyres are way bigger then stock tyres and I also got dusty motors dirt cover so ventilation is not that happy.

for batteries, I run 7000 and 8000mah 100C Zeee batteries. the 7000fits lesser, but the 8000mah hard case fits really well and I can do 30-40min of bashing.

View attachment 258018
I like those Tomahawk tires how do you find them? Good idea on gearing down a bit you won’t loose much top end. The vorteks is on my list to buy I do like those little power house trucks! Looking forward to seeing your upgrades.

heya,

View attachment 258018
Hey buddy , I'm using a 16t pinion and it's great with the Tomahawks, I've upgraded the motor fan as well to a 30mm surpass rocket to make sure temps are kept in tact .
Interested what your thoughts are on the savox servo also as I'm planning on picking up two decent servos for my Vorteks and Bigrock .
I've been using the Tomahawks MTs as you know for a little while and there my go two tyres now car feels much more stable at speed and grip levels are superb .

I like those Tomahawk tires how do you find them? Good idea on gearing down a bit you won’t loose much top end. The vorteks is on my list to buy I do like those little power house trucks! Looking forward to seeing your upgrades.
I will get back to you on this, because I barely tried them on tarmac last night so it was a bit wet from cold. otherwise, because of the size of the tyres, there is more grip, when there is grip, so I did some wheelies like never before and it seemed like it can also be consistent. the tires inflating worries me a tiny bit, because they don't have holes, I wonder whether it is advised to have some. In general Im not a fan of huge ballooning.
I think these tyres would mostly go into dirt once I find some dirt somewhere 🤷‍♂️ , cuz its very hard here in the UK.

I will get back to you on this, because I barely tried them on tarmac last night so it was a bit wet from cold. otherwise, because of the size of the tyres, there is more grip, when there is grip, so I did some wheelies like never before and it seemed like it can also be consistent. the tires inflating worries me a tiny bit, because they don't have holes, I wonder whether it is advised to have some. In general Im not a fan of huge ballooning.
I think these tyres would mostly go into dirt once I find some dirt somewhere 🤷‍♂️ , cuz its very hard here in the UK.
Why not cut a hole each side on the tyres buddy

Hey buddy , I'm using a 16t pinion and it's great with the Tomahawks, I've upgraded the motor fan as well to a 30mm surpass rocket to make sure temps are kept in tact .
Interested what your thoughts are on the savox servo also as I'm planning on picking up two decent servos for my Vorteks and Bigrock .
I've been using the Tomahawks MTs as you know for a little while and there my go two tyres now car feels much more stable at speed and grip levels are superb .
I gotta have a look at the 30mm surpass, but to be frank I gotta try and keep it a bit light, because Im into this hobby for like 3-4 weeks and I think I spent around £1500 at this point and my son doesn't even has his truck yet ( he might just go with a Vorteks too, and I ll probably downgear it to hell so he can still wheelie but not big top speed to keep it safe) .
I am expecting the delivery of the 25T servo saver as we speak, I can't install the servo without it. However, I've seen some videos of this and its absolutely amazing. I mean, its around twice as fast and 4x stronger than the stock one. bit of overkill, but I drive my Vorteks like crazy and want to keep it that way. Will update you once I installed it. SO EXCITED :D
BTW this servo is in promotion now in some webshops. I actually paid £89 for it but I've seen it for ~£75 ish.
It says 25kg but on the box it actually says 30kg in 0.07s on 8.4V if you got an ESC that can do it. I think I'll be ok with 0.08s :D

Savox SB-2274SG High Speed Brushless Steel Gear Digital Servo

https://www.tjdmodels.com/product/savox-sb-2274sg-hv-high-speed-brushless-steel-gear-digital-servo/
https://www.westlondonmodels.com/pr...-brushless-servo-25kg-0-08s7-4v-sav-sb2274sg/

• My body fixes. I absolutely recommend the pads there otherwise the top of the shock tower bites your body out.
  • I keep my GPS there w/ a sticky hook & loop
  • my batteries and charger + relic military grade battery box
  • My charger, quite happy with it, but Id love a quqd version of this. It takes 4-4.5hours to charge all my current batteries
  • Dusty cover against poop when in mud and such. This raises temperatures but I am working on a solution for that. I tested the cover and air doesn't really get through, so far temps get hot

IMG_20221123_143907.jpg

IMG_20221123_144033.jpg

IMG_20221123_143912.jpg

IMG_20221123_143806.jpg

Just say Hi!! I'm new to the rc world. I recently purchased my first ever rc. I bought the Arrma Vorteks as well. Seems to be a great one to start with. I did put tires on it and went with the Duratrax Lockup St 2.8 belted. But I now have a loud clicking sound near the driveshaft going into the slipper pads area. With those tires on.Still learning the mechanics of it all. I have taking anything apart yet to check anything. I think it has the 20t pinion gear in it with stock spur gear. Cause in the parts bag from factory I have a 18t pinion gear. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Also look forward to your build and what comes from it.

Just say Hi!! I'm new to the rc world. I recently purchased my first ever rc. I bought the Arrma Vorteks as well. Seems to be a great one to start with. I did put tires on it and went with the Duratrax Lockup St 2.8 belted. But I now have a loud clicking sound near the driveshaft going into the slipper pads area. With those tires on.Still learning the mechanics of it all. I have taking anything apart yet to check anything. I think it has the 20t pinion gear in it with stock spur gear. Cause in the parts bag from factory I have a 18t pinion gear. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Also look forward to your build and what comes from it.
hey man! I am new to this too but I noticed smth that might absolutely be wrong. Your tyres are huge and so that essentially is like putting higher gear. because no matter what size the tyre is, the motor will try and turn it around once, while the tyre just became bigger. you also. put in the 20T pinion gear, so that's a HUUUUGE pressure on your motor now.
Id try and gear down to 16-17 and see. Although your problem might be that u moved is a bit loose ?

hey man! I am new to this too but I noticed smth that might absolutely be wrong. Your tyres are huge and so that essentially is like putting higher gear. because no matter what size the tyre is, the motor will try and turn it around once, while the tyre just became bigger. you also. put in the 20T pinion gear, so that's a HUUUUGE pressure on your motor now.
Id try and gear down to 16-17 and see. Although your problem might be that u moved is a bit loose ?
Thanks for the advice. The tires were recommended for an upgrade. So I just tried them out. Only ran for 10 minutes. But I can see now the the 20t gear is to big. But that was what was in it out of the box. All I have done to it is a once over. Do you think any damage might have happened. I will try the lower pinion gear first. Any tips for setting the mesh properly. Will be my first tearing it down.

Hey buddy , ok so firstly welcome to the world of RC and great car to seat with for sure .
Now loud clicking in my humble opinion is going to be your input gear by the sounds of it , does it sound like it's coming from the diff casing ?????
If you scroll back on this thread a few pages it's what I've just had to do. Also check your bearings on the drive shaft and on the end of the diff .
I would try to aim for roughly 15/16/17 tooth pinion as this will give you a tad less speed but definitely more torque and wheelie time etc . And the motor will stay cooler and run times will last you longer dude .
But for sure check that input and crown gear sounds like it's worn to me .
How long you had the car ???
Thanks for the advice. The tires were recommended for an upgrade. So I just tried them out. Only ran for 10 minutes. But I can see now the the 20t gear is to big. But that was what was in it out of the box. All I have done to it is a once over. Do you think any damage might have happened. I will try the lower pinion gear first. Any tips for setting the mesh properly. Will be my first tearing it down.
I'll see if I can find you a good video on mesh I've seen . Now
Hey buddy , ok so firstly welcome to the world of RC and great car to seat with for sure .
Now loud clicking in my humble opinion is going to be your input gear by the sounds of it , does it sound like it's coming from the diff casing ?????
If you scroll back on this thread a few pages it's what I've just had to do. Also check your bearings on the drive shaft and on the end of the diff .
I would try to aim for roughly 15/16/17 tooth pinion as this will give you a tad less speed but definitely more torque and wheelie time etc . And the motor will stay cooler and run times will last you longer dude .

Ps buddy the durtraxs will be fine but definitely need to come down 👇 lower on the pinion size .

Ps buddy the durtraxs will be fine but definitely need to come down 👇 lower on the pinion size .
I have only had the car for 2 months. Definitely going down on gear size. Do I need to change the spur gear at the same time. I'm glad I good with these tires. I definitely help the control of the fast little car. Thanks for the help

I have only had the car for 2 months. Definitely going down on gear size. Do I need to change the spur gear at the same time. I'm glad I good with these tires. I definitely help the control of the fast little car. Thanks for the help
I find it weird that you had the 20T pinion in by default. Was your box sealed? the car comes with the 18T pinion in the car stock and then an additional 20T pinion as extra

I find it weird that you had the 20T pinion in by default. Was your box sealed? the car comes with the 18T pinion in the car stock and then an additional 20T pinion as extra
Yes it was sealed and new in the box. I have taken it apart. To confirm the 20t for sure. But it says that it comes with the 18t and 20t. From the exploded view. All I know it I have the 18t in with my extra parts that was in the box.

Yes it was sealed and new in the box. I have taken it apart. To confirm the 20t for sure. But it says that it comes with the 18t and 20t. From the exploded view. All I know it I have the 18t in with my extra parts that was in the box.
I'd put the 18T back and then even w the bigger tyres you should be fine, however warming up a bit earlier. then get a 16-17 pinion if u want to keep the tyres on. that's what I'll do actually :D

I think I'm going to get a 16t actually.
It's a lovely game to play around with them actually because going lower gear slower and slower and you keep making more and more initial torque available. I plan on actually getting a set of pinions, so smth like 15-16-17 and then sharing that w my son( I plan buying him a Vorteks BLX too )

It's a lovely game to play around with them actually because going lower gear slower and slower and you keep making more and more initial torque available. I plan on actually getting a set of pinions, so smth like 15-16-17 and then sharing that w my son( I plan buying him a Vorteks BLX too )
I do like this car it's short wheel base and it's fun on flat dirt ground.

oh dang! I've been installing servo for hours now. I would swear the Arrma 25T servo saver is actually 23T and we gotta force it on. the stock Savox servo savers went onto the servo pinion easily, but I had to force the (allegedly) 25T Arrma servo saver. When I then tried to get it off, it all fell apart and I tried to put back the string for like an hour. Then I googled how to actually do it. At the end I managed to install everything. I didn't recalibrate the servo, but its zizzing a bit. I am tired now so we'll see tomorrow :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back