Vorteks Arrma Vorteks Boost 4x2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock
  3. Vorteks
Hey guys , so I'm eagerly waiting on my Vortkes Boost to land and have been looking for reviews on YouTube. Hopping for some of the big guys to get one up asap .
Stumbled across this guy posted today .
Now I can't wait , I've already ordered a brushless motor and 80a ESC combo from Surpass a 3650 3900kv , a bunch of pinions, some alloy parts also and just about to order the boost 4x4 upgrade and not even got the car yet lol .
Going to run it stock and get a feel for it first then start upgrading .
Plan is to have it 4x4 running on 3s

Also anyone got any ideas what receiver I need once I've upgraded the motor and ESC ????
While I'm here any other suggestions upgrade wise ?????

I know that basically this is will be a more expensive way of getting a blx performance eventually but I'm just coming back from a 16 year break from RC and after the amount of money I spent on 1/10th touring cars ( team xray ) I used running in modified classes I just want to enjoy the hobby and slowly get the car to were I'm happy and not break the bank outright .

Last edited:
This is exactly what this line was meant for. Someone can get started and upgrade as experience and budget allows. You'll have a ball once you get it 4X4 and 3s.

The radio/receiver that came with will still work even through the upgrades. But, it does look cheap. You could look into a better used Spektrum system that others remove. But, for the money Google DumboRC. My son bought one and the range is no joke. I'll be looking for one soon.

Nice video.
I think that you are not a beginner. :giggle:
So I imagine you are getting your BLX $parts list$ together as we speak.:cool:
Me, I would have gotten the Vortex BLX out the gate. You save $$ this way. This chassis will snap in half if you hit a brick wall at BLX speeds. Any RC will.
And with 2WD, you don't get Big Air Rotation well enough off the ramps... But 2WD drive is fun and takes a bit more skill.. I still drive my RC10T. on 3s/BLX .
:)

Never meant to imply he was a beginner. Was talking about the Boost line. And it worked. Got him back into it after 16 yrs. Coming from touring cars will still be an adjustment. Especially not chasing the next best thing to be competitive and just having fun. Been there....done that.

@ChriswithaC, doesn't matter how you get there, as long as it puts a smile on your face. It's your money. Carry on!

Thanks for the replies guys , yeah as I said its a more expensive way of getting to the performance, but it eases me in to it to be honest with you .
Also it means I can decide which upgrades I go for rather than having the standard stuff that comes with the car , I can just jump to upgrades if you catch my drift .

I noticed that the car comes with a 15tooth pinion are they 48dp guys , I'm thinking they are from what I've read but the exploded view on the website does not say to be honest .

Also it says it's a 2 in 1 esc / receiver combo and that you can use the ESC as a standalone but not as a standalone receiver . Well I mean I can't find any information that might allow it to at least .
Why I'm asking this is as I've ordered a brushless system I'm going to have to get a receiver also and can't work out which one to get or even if I need one . .

As for lipos I've got several pairs of these Zees for the moment .

I know it's alot of questions but as I said before when I ran RC cars previously they were all brushless . And technology has come a long way since then .

Looking forward to your replies and thanks so far .
ChriswithaC

Screenshot_20220830-132946_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys , yeah as I said its a more expensive way of getting to the performance, but it eases me in to it to be honest with you .
Also it means I can decide which upgrades I go for rather than having the standard stuff that comes with the car , I can just jump to upgrades if you catch my drift .

I noticed that the car comes with a 15tooth pinion are they 48dp guys , I'm thinking they are from what I've read but the exploded view on the website does not say to be honest .

Also it says it's a 2 in 1 esc / receiver combo and that you can use the ESC as a standalone but not as a standalone receiver . Well I mean I can't find any information that might allow it to at least .
Why I'm asking this is as I've ordered a brushless system I'm going to have to get a receiver also and can't work out which one to get or even if I need one . .

I know it's alot of questions but as I said before when I ran RC cars previously they were all brushless . And technology has come a long way since then .

ChriswithaC

View attachment 240714
They are 32dp (.08mod). Dumbo is a great ‘better than RTR but won’t break the bank’ tx/rx. If you can solder I suggest switching out the deans connections with EC5 on both batteries and esc. If you are in the states go to jennysrc.com. It’s a parts breaker and you can get OEM parts for far cheaper than retail. The have the recently released 4s Kraton and outcast, which are a great choice for everything from differentials to spur and ESC.

Welcome back to the hobby!

ChriswithaC

View attachment 240714
Just buy an inexpensive DumboRC Radio With Receiver as a set ( or a Radiolink RC4GS...better IMHO) and be done with it. Get a HW combo 3s BLX ESC/Motor. Then an AMZ DS3235 35kg Servo ( $32.) along with a matching 25 Spline Servo Saver, and a Get your Boost parts/module if you want 4x4 capability. Toss all the OE electrics. Shoot your $load$ up front at this point. Have fun doing it...what matters.
The platform will grow with you. 2 in 1 ESC is truly a TOY grade setup there. Need to toss that "beginner" stuff.
Just my spin. There are many others, including your own ideas.
Enjoy.
:cool:

Just buy an inexpensive DumboRC Radio With Receiver as a set ( or a Radiolink RC4GS...better IMHO) and be done with it. Get a HW combo BLX ESC/Motor. Then an AMZ DS3235 35kg Servo ( $32.) along with a matching 25 Spline Servo Saver, and a Get your Boost parts/module if you want 4x4 capability. Toss all the OE electrics. Shoot your $load$ up front at this point. Have fun doing it...what matters.
The platform will grow with you. 2 in 1 ESC is truly a TOY grade setup there. Need to toss that "beginner" stuff.
Just my spin. There are many others, including your own ideas.
Enjoy.
:cool:
Thanks for the reply buddy , i am thinking about a Dumbo RC transmitter and Receiver am i right in saying that the dumbo has a gyro also . As i said above ive already ordered A Surpass 3650 3900kv motor and 80a ESC combo that should be here by 19th latest . so the 2 in 1 will be going . Thanks for the Heads up on the Servo ive not seen one of those till now , just added it to my basket on Ebay , i see the response till is pretty quick isnt it .

May have been cheaper, but far less fun.... and it’s custom built to your spec.....👍

May have been cheaper, but far less fun.... and it’s custom built to your spec.....👍
That's exactly my thoughts mate , I preferr doing it this way , it's how I used to run my touring cars back in the day , buy the base model and then get the upgrades I want , and the aftermarket gear I can afford , I don't feel like I'm wasting a pot of money then of parts I remove from the car .

The vortkes seems to have good aftermarket support right out the box , and as this is my first Arrma from what I can gather alot of parts are interchangeable from different models is that correct?

Yes, a lot of parts are shared through different models. I have a blx Vorteks and I love it. Use it as an urban type basher. 3s with Zee packs she’s a lil rocket.....

Yes, a lot of parts are shared through different models. I have a blx Vorteks and I love it. Use it as an urban type basher. 3s with Zee packs she’s a lil rocket.....
I've got two packs of zeees here only using 2s for the time being and get a feel for the car there 5200 100c , can I ask what gearing your using bud ?

I believe I’m using the provided speed pinion. Not recalling what it is. She wheelies all day. Not on lectron 3s tho. Not sure if that battery is bad, bought at the hobby shop.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back