Vorteks Arrma Vorteks diff sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vortekyteky

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vorteks
Got my Vorteks just the other day and noticed a weird sound coming from the diffs when I removed the motor. Is this normal?

Link to yt vid:

Thanks in advance.

Congrats for the new Vorteks!
I love mine (mmm I mean my son’s, but don’t tell my wife…)

Take the diff appart and see inside (top fluid)?

Got my Vorteks just the other day and noticed a weird sound coming from the diffs when I removed the motor. Is this normal?

Link to yt vid:

Thanks in advance.
It looks like you removed the driveshaft and tested front and rear differential independently by rolling, which is good, and they both made the same sound. I see the car is new so the sound should go away as they break in most likely. Still, pull them out. They need to be topped off with oil anyway because they only come half full from the factory. 10K CST is stock, but I prefer 15 to 20k in the rear and 25 to 30k upfront for my bashers.

Once you have the differentials out of the car, turn them by hand while they are still in the diff yolk. You’ll be able to feel where it’s catching. If it’s awful and hard to turn, you need to put a shim (or another shim, since there should already be one there from the factory) on the non-ring gear side. If it’s not that bad, just let it break in. There is always the chance that the factory simply did not put a shim on the non ring gear side as they should. If that’s the case you’ll need to buy some.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, will do this.
Also what sort of diff oil do you recommend. Brand? etc
Should I replace the current oil or just top it up with a higher weight one?
Also I mostly run on gravel, smooth dirt and sealed roads. What weight would you recommend for me?

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, will do this.
Also what sort of diff oil do you recommend. Brand? etc
Should I replace the current oil or just top it up with a higher weight one?
Also I mostly run on gravel, smooth dirt and sealed roads. What weight would you recommend for me?

Thanks
On that kind of driving surface I would do appx 15 in back and 25 up front. I tend to go heavier on the front because it helps reduce either wheel from the thing out. That’s where the spinning action is high-speed for one wheel and expands one rubber tire badly. The heavier oil keeps the tires running closer to the same speed. It will inhibit turning a little bit but not enough to really notice.

I have found that when I want to turn at a higher speed the best thing to do is briefly release the throttle as I’m going into the turn and then hit it as I’m coming out of the Apex. Otherwise they will turn extremely wide at speed. It works at lower speed as well, but I reduce the speed instead of totally letting it off briefly.

I don’t like wasting things. So I buy higher CST oil’s to top off with, giving me ‘approximates’. They are bashers, not race cars, so I do not need exact or perfection.
Assuming they’re both half full, I top off the rear with 20k and the front with 35-40k. Just don’t get CST mixed up with Weight because they are drastically different. I look for the brand that has the best price and I try to get the 4 ounce bottles because usually they are the better deal.

If you haven’t done a differential before, be super careful to not get oil in any of the screw holes. Otherwise the hydraulic pressure from tightening the screw can crack the sides of the diff case. And when they’re opening up to be extremely careful of the gasket. You can get the gasket to live through several diff services as long as you’re careful. If the gasket sticks I a xacto blade to very gently detach it. But if you rip it, you’ve gotta replace it so you should get a package of them to have around. Good thing is they are cheap, four bucks for a packet of two or three I think.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and you’re welcome to direct message me if you want. I’ll probably forget who you are but a gentle reminder helps. I’ve had way too many concussions 🤷‍♂️

Thank you @Velodromed those are good reminder for me too!
I realized I got 10 because I did not want to waste the factory default oil to top it off.
I was not sure how to mix with other CST.
Thanks for the detailed explanation.👍

Thank you @Velodromed those are good reminder for me too!
I realized I got 10 because I did not want to waste the factory default oil to top it off.
I was not sure how to mix with other CST.
Thanks for the detailed explanation.👍
Sure thing bud. I’m more or less guess when mixing the oils. I don’t need exact, just approximates work. Doesn’t really matter what they are ‘exactly’ as long as I like the way it drives.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back