Vorteks Arrma Vorteks - Worthing getting now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 3s
I was thinking of ordering a Vorteks today but a friend on mine told me there were quite a few issues with them at the moment from what he had seen youtube etc.

So my question is to those have one, is it any good? are there lots of issues or are they pretty much good to go out of the box?

I am torn between getting the Vorteks and a Kraton 6S as my second vehicle to go with my Typhon 3S BLX.

Haven’t had a single issue with mine. What issues are others having that is widespread?

It's very good, I love mine. It's my favorite RC car at the moment when I drive it on the right surface.

The common assembly issues are minor and easily fixed, but I would not say it's good to go out of the box, as some of these small issues can lead to bigger problems.

On mine:
- Shocks were low on fluid
- Mesh too tight for the pinion/spur and input/crown gear
- No threadlocker between driveshafts and hubs
- Servo endpoint often need adjustment.
- The motor bearing near the pinion was due for replacement after a couple of packs only.
- I don't know about the slipper adjustment, I replaced the spur with a metal one right away, but I think they are often too tight out of the box.
- I didn't check the diff fluid levels yet, but they don't feel empty. I plan on checking this out in the next few days.

I think all Arrmas have these kind of assembly issues these days.

I've had mine since release and it gets driven multiple times daily.

I have blown the motor bearing and the servo died. The servo has been replaced under warranty, the motor too but I haven't recieved it yet.

Yesterday I stripped the HD input gear on the rear diff.

I also have a Big Rock that has pretty much suffered the same, servo, motor bearings, 1 rear diff and 1 input gear in 3 months of daily use.

Arrma do have some QC issues out of there Chinese factories that can impact any of the 3s line but the Vorteks is as reliable as a Typhon, Granite, BRCC or a Senton. QC issues aside.

Any RTR vehicle can have minor issues out of the box. Don't rely solely on YouTube for a gauge of how many issues there are with the Vorteks: folks with issues generally complain about them in their YouTube videos, but folks that don't have any or have few issues tend to not post videos. It's the same in forums: complaints far outnumber the praises.

I was thinking of ordering a Vorteks today but a friend on mine told me there were quite a few issues with them at the moment from what he had seen youtube etc.

So my question is to those have one, is it any good? are there lots of issues or are they pretty much good to go out of the box?

I am torn between getting the Vorteks and a Kraton 6S as my second vehicle to go with my Typhon 3S BLX.
It's very good, I love mine. It's my favorite RC car at the moment when I drive it on the right surface.

The common assembly issues are minor and easily fixed, but I would not say it's good to go out of the box, as some of these small issues can lead to bigger problems.

On mine:
- Shocks were low on fluid
- Mesh too tight for the pinion/spur and input/crown gear
- No threadlocker between driveshafts and hubs
- Servo endpoint often need adjustment.
- The motor bearing near the pinion was due for replacement after a couple of packs only.
- I don't know about the slipper adjustment, I replaced the spur with a metal one right away, but I think they are often too tight out of the box.
- I didn't check the diff fluid levels yet, but they don't feel empty. I plan on checking this out in the next few days.

I think all Arrmas have these kind of assembly issues these days.
I found the same issues (just got mine). I alsodidn’t check the differentials, simply because I’m not familiar with them yet. I’ll do that when I open her up in a couple weeks to check and see if there’s crap in the gearbox. I did a couple of preventive maintenance items for that so hopefully…no crap.

If there is crap Ill do the motor fix thing as recommended. Maybe drill a hole or cut a slot under the pinion also. I didn’t do the motor fix last time because I was having pinion C clamp issues 😣. RazorRC sent a video that hopefully will help with that (thanks again bud!).

Definitely cut the hole in the chassis...that and replace the motor bearings before they explode are top 2 items to check off right away

Definitely cut the hole in the chassis...that and replace the motor bearings before they explode are top 2 items to check off right away
About that, I’ve got my granite stripped down to upgrade to 3s, and I keep eyeing that part of the chassis thinking…really? Cut a slot there?

Would a drilled hole work just as well? Bout 1/4 inch or so. Slots have corners and corners are weak points if done wrong (I’ve done em wrong in other applications so yeah). Circles are strong lol.

On my new vorteks I just couldn’t do it. I put the fuzzy Velcro in and sealed off the area. After running in Texas dust a few times I’ll open and see.

I've seen the chassis mod done with drilled holes and looks to work just as well. I don't have a dremel so I'm going to drill 3 holes. The Vorteks with it's lower stance does seem to let a lot more muck in.

I've seen the chassis mod done with drilled holes and looks to work just as well. I don't have a dremel so I'm going to drill 3 holes. The Vorteks with it's lower stance does seem to let a lot more muck in.
Ugh I noticed that today. Took it though dust dirt and dry grass to see how it didn’t handle. Met my expectations. I ordered another set of granite tires to swap when needed because when my wife and I go to the park I need a bit more ground clearance. I got another dust cover I’ll put on it soon.
I’ll only drill holes after I see how other mods do at keeping dust out.

When I have the AVC turned full up on the car and I go full speed…it speed wobbles. When I turn the AVC off it does not speed wobble. I tested this 6 different times and it was consistent. AVC on= wobble. AVC off= no wobble. I don’t get that 🤔

Ugh I noticed that today. Took it though dust dirt and dry grass to see how it didn’t handle. Met my expectations. I ordered another set of granite tires to swap when needed because when my wife and I go to the park I need a bit more ground clearance. I got another dust cover I’ll put on it soon.
I’ll only drill holes after I see how other mods do at keeping dust out.

When I have the AVC turned full up on the car and I go full speed…it speed wobbles. When I turn the AVC off it does not speed wobble. I tested this 6 different times and it was consistent. AVC on= wobble. AVC off= no wobble. I don’t get that 🤔

Are you still running the stock servo?

AVC has to be tuned to the speed/torque of your servo, because it's correcting the steering but if it doesn't match the speed of the servo, you can end up in a weird oscillation pattern where it's under/over-corrrecting due to lag/speed in the servo. I turn my AVC off, but you can mess with the AVC dial until it drives properly.

Are you still running the stock servo?

AVC has to be tuned to the speed/torque of your servo, because it's correcting the steering but if it doesn't match the speed of the servo, you can end up in a weird oscillation pattern where it's under/over-corrrecting due to lag/speed in the servo. I turn my AVC off, but you can mess with the AVC dial until it drives properly.
Oh that makes sense!! Yes I’m still running the stock servo. I have a better one prepared for when it dies. Had it four days and only had a chance to run it twice so far. I’m going to turn the AVC off because I prefer to have the steering thing option (technical term slipping my mind right now).
Thank you!!

Oh that makes sense!! Yes I’m still running the stock servo. I have a better one prepared for when it dies. Had it four days and only had a chance to run it twice so far. I’m going to turn the AVC off because I prefer to have the steering thing option (technical term slipping my mind right now).
Thank you!!
If you are gonna change servos and still wanna use AVC those Amazon servos aren't such a good thing. The AVC needs a digital servo and even though the DS3235 Amazon servos say they are digital I saw a video review of them and it ended up that they actually were not digital. So, it might be hit and miss. Some might really be digital and some might not be digital. But if you want AVC to work properly, I wouldn't trust them. They are strong servos and I'm sure some people have used them with AVC with great success, but I always go for better servos.

If you are gonna change servos and still wanna use AVC those Amazon servos aren't such a good thing. The AVC needs a digital servo and even though the DS3235 Amazon servos say they are digital I saw a video review of them and it ended up that they actually were not digital. So, it might be hit and miss. Some might really be digital and some might not be digital. But if you want AVC to work properly, I wouldn't trust them. They are strong servos and I'm sure some people have used them with AVC with great success, but I always go for better servos.

Totally. Since changing out my dead stock servo for a $20 banggood special my AVC makes it do weird things. The upgraded servo is slower too so I've got a Savox warranty replacement to install at some stage.

That makes sense. Just got a warranty upgrade and received a 6s servo in the mail (s652). May throw that in there for fun and frolic. It’s 18kg so powerful enough for a vorteks.

I also threw in a glitch buster today. A big fat one lol. Ran it earlier for solid 10 minutes at 100%. It seems to have taken care of a couple small things that were making me wonder. Like the voltage dip that that was setting off the LVC yesterday didn’t happen. It also didn’t oscillate when the AVC was full on, like it did yesterday. But I was also using a different battery (Hoovoo 3s 5200/80c). So tomorrow I’m gonna test it using the battery I was using yesterday (Zeee 3s 5200/80c). Both are brand new and I am swapping them between runs to compare.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back