Kraton Arrma vs skate park...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry-rigged

Have you seen my LVC?
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Outcast 6s
My son and I have been pushing the durability on our Arrma 6s's recently - son's Kraton, and my Talion. We discovered that our local skate park (which is a bit small and normally covered up with skaters) clears out very quickly with only a little bit of rain. and we have had a lot of rain recently.
smile.gif
We keep batteries charged, and when there is a break in the weather, we go bash.

Our first few minutes, I was careful. No huge jumps. Yeah, I've seen y'all air these truck out, but part of me didn't really believe that us "normal" people could jump like that and not break our trucks. My son was the first to really get on the throttle and air his truck out - I was fussing at him the whole time it was in the air - and I had time... LOL. It landed hard, nose down, on a corner, and bounced, rolled... Dead truck, I though. He runs over, rolls it over, and buries the throttle - Zoom! Nothing broke!
biggrin.gif
After that, it was on. Big air all around, lots of nasty landings, a few wheels first landing. Both of us had our XT90's come unplugged on big hits once, and his truck turned itself off once. LOL

End of three skate park big air sessions? Zero broke parts. One slightly bent rear tower. (not bent enough to worry about) One bent rear dog bone. (good lord these are tough to straighten out - how'ed he bend it?). Oh, and both bodies now have ripped rear body mounting holes. That is all I can report for carnage.

One last LOL, on our last trip, we had 2-3 teens watching us. One of them had RC cars (I don't remember what it was). Every big jump with a bad landing - "you broke it this time for sure!" LOL, nope. Flip it back over and drive away... HA! ARRMA FTW!

No video, sorry. Both my son and I tried to shot some with our cell phones, and discovered just how hard it is to record these fast moving cars! Huge props to all of you that manage to pull off decent RC running videos!

Jerry

Consider yourself lucky I guess. I have broken something at every skate park I've been to and I can't imagine my granite is that much different than your 6s fire breathing monsters. They are a riot though so I keep going back. One tip I can give is to avoid rails at all costs. I got tangled up with one at speed and it was a total yard sale, parts EVERYWHERE! Oh, and the ones around here are also typically empty before noon, even on the weekends.

Consider yourself lucky I guess. I have broken something at every skate park I've been to and I can't imagine my granite is that much different than your 6s fire breathing monsters. They are a riot though so I keep going back. One tip I can give is to avoid rails at all costs. I got tangled up with one at speed and it was a total yard sale, parts EVERYWHERE! Oh, and the ones around here are also typically empty before noon, even on the weekends.

I'm so with you on this one @Dustin Mustangs !
As a noob, I ran a Raider, only brushed and on NiMhs, at the skate park and can attest, skate parks are the most unforgiving surface around. It doesn't take much of a spill, flip or simple rollover to mash whatever on the RC.
Shock screws, wing mount, motor cover, you can see it, you can snap it.
"Yard sale" of parts says it best!

Seems like I have read a lot of no-great things about the durability of the 1/10* Arrma's. The 1/8 are night and day different. I have read people saying they didn't like the 6S line for a variety of reasons, but never because they break a lot. Trust me, I have had a lot of hit at both the skate park and the track that I though for sure would end in a yard sale. The grand total of my issues? Unpluged batteries. Pulled the rear mounting posts thru the body. Pulled a pillow ball thru the steering knuckle- nothing broke, just has to re-assemble. Bent a rear shock tower. Lost 2 spring perches. One drive cup came unscrewed One leg of the wing mount broke. The other didn't, and after another 3-4 runs, I swapped them for RPM mounts. And one tire that exploded on a 6s speed run.

That total is for 2 truck, my son's Kraton and my Talion. We have beat these cars like I have never beat any RC before, and they just take it. :0 :D

Jerry

Seems like I have read a lot of no-great things about the durability of the 1/10* Arrma's. The 1/8 are night and day different. I have read people saying they didn't like the 6S line for a variety of reasons, but never because they break a lot. Trust me, I have had a lot of hit at both the skate park and the track that I though for sure would end in a yard sale. The grand total of my issues? Unpluged batteries. Pulled the rear mounting posts thru the body. Pulled a pillow ball thru the steering knuckle- nothing broke, just has to re-assemble. Bent a rear shock tower. Lost 2 spring perches. One drive cup came unscrewed One leg of the wing mount broke. The other didn't, and after another 3-4 runs, I swapped them for RPM mounts. And one tire that exploded on a 6s speed run.

That total is for 2 truck, my son's Kraton and my Talion. We have beat these cars like I have never beat any RC before, and they just take it. :0 :D

Jerry

I'm not saying my 1/10ths are not durable, in fact I believe they are. And admittedly, I beat the heck out of them. That's what they're for.
With my 1/10's, I've got a ton of interchangeability on parts.

Not yanking your chain, but there's a lot of threads at this forum going on about blown ESCs on 1/8. I'd expect that, 180A going through those little 18 gauge wires? The heat, the electricity, pushed behind 24 volts? That's a lot of juice.

I sort of agree with you on the ESC issue. Personally I don't think these ever see even 100a for more than a mili-second. And I should check my motor leads, but I don't think any of the power wiring is less than 12g. 18g is really small. Even my 1/16 scale truck uses 16g.

IMHO, the blown ESC issue is due to a bad board design, not feeder wire size. Most all the ESC's in this class use the same wire size, and most don't burn up. Arrma tried several band-aid fixes, but IMHO, there is just something fundamentally wrong with BLX180 ESC. Both of mine are still working, thankfully.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back