Senton At the track today 3800kv vs 3200kv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmcbryar

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
So I have 2 sentons. A new 3s with the 3200kv stock motor and a upgraded mega with a goolRC 3660 3800kv motor. Both were run on 2s batteries. The senton 3s is pure stock and should go around 33mph on 2s. The upgraded mega has the 91t spur gear (hard to count I thought it was 96) and a 23t pinion. The calculator I made says it will go 38mph.

We spent about 4 hours at the track today. My son always seems to drive my 3s because "it works better". We raced down the straight, and from a roll the 3s was WAY faster, he pulled on me hard. The bad part was he doesn't usually hammer it on the straight because he doesn't use the brakes, and went full speed into the wall.... #3 T-Bone bumper support here we come.

Anyway he got tired and we switched cars. When I switched to the 3s car the "slower" one, I was overshooting everything. It was soo much faster and snappier than the gool RC motor. I have the slipper pretty tight in the mega, enough so that it would wheely on the track is you hit it just right. With the 3s Sneton I could almost wheely on demand on the straights where I had room.

It was strange to me, there are always big discussions about motors. The BLX system geared for 33mph WAY out performed a GoolRC 3800kv combo (orange one). So either something is up with my truck, that motor is worn out or the lower KV is just plain better. (The Senton Mega was a E-Bay buy so no idea on the motor age.)

Orrrr it’s that goolrc motors are made very cheap, which they are, check the price ;)

Yeah, what peanut said. Plus, track running is not about top speed, it is about punch. Lower kv = more torque. Plus geared for top speed = more acceleration.

Gear them for the same top speed, and try the track again.

Yeah, I get the gearing for speed. It was faster top speed too, I am pretty sure I hit top speed on the long straight. I want to test on the road but Michigan weather is insane right now.

About the GoolRc yeah no doubt, I have purchased 2 from China in the past, took a while to get here but for $35 for a motor and ESC great bang for the buck. Maybe the Mega is just over geared and can't get to top speed.... Will see when the weather gets better.

Orrrr it’s that goolrc motors are made very cheap, which they are, check the price ;)
Idk I think this has more to do with the esc than the motor. Any good esc will always outperform a cheap Chinese one. I had one of those blue Tsky 120a escs and that thing was a turd compared to my Sidewinder SV3 SCT on 2s.

I have a few of the blue can GoolRc/insert random Chinese company name motors and I have noticed no difference in performance over name brand motors. Hell my 3665 can 3100kv GoolRc motor outlived my Castle Creations 1410/3800kv motor.

Trying to compare 2 different motors behind 2 different escs has too many variables, the only way to truly test the performance of the motor is to power them both with the same esc.

Just my thoughts based on my own experiences.

Last edited:
Yeah. There is a line between fun and engineering. Your approach is correct. :D Not that it is hard to swap ESC's. Maybe if I get curious enough.

There's is absolutely no way 48p gears can transfer power like 32p gears. Calculations mean nothing. This truck is too heavy for 48p gears. I played around with the mega far too long before doing the Yeti spur mod. I tried it with the max 27t pinion, HW 100a ESC with a 3300kv 3660 w/5mm shaft. It actually felt OK, but I had a newly wrecked Yeti XL sitting off to the side & the 56t 32p spur was calling to me. It was the same size as the 91t 48p stock spur. I was going to do anything I had to make it work. It ended up fitting with a 17t pinion. This gave it a slightly higher gear ratio than the 27/91 mess, but the difference was immediate. Faster acceleration & stopping power. I used that exact same system until the motor start cogging. So I jumped up to the BLX185 system to see how far it would go before going down to a 3674 1845kv w/ the 100a ESC. I have a few of the cheap ebay 2650kv motors (36 & 42 cans) but they are heavy & weighed down the car just like the BLX system. The only problem I had with the large cans is blowing driveshafts but they had so much torque that they easily out accelerated the 3660 can on 3s - & are completely ballistic on 4s.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back