Kraton Aussie RC Playgrounds Brutally honest opinion of the K8S. Video

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custnam

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
I really appreciate the honest opinions in this video. A lot of other reviewers probably wouldnt reveal/ say most of this to avoid any backlash. Hope Arrma takes some of whats said and addresses them in the next 5th scale release. Great video @Aussie RC Playground .

Thank you. I certainly hope I don't get backlash, I didn't say anything outside the boundaries of confidentiality or anything that wasn't true. I made this video because I was being constantly asked "what happened to my K8S?" And even though I had explained it in my studio tour video, a lot of people obviously hadn't seen it. My opinion of this car is as honest as any other review I've done, but I think because, maybe, people were expecting me to praise the car and got a very different video, it's obviously making some waves. ?

What I meant by backlash was Arrma not being too happy with you about it. But Id rather you be honest and let people know so they can make an informed decision. I was one of those that was 100% getting it when it came out, then shortly after changed my mind after quite a bit of research. (Well what was available at the time). And I would have totally taken what you said in the video as part of my decision. Anyway thanks again and keep the opinions/ reviews coming, even if they rub some people the wrong way.

Interesting video, the prices should be mentioned that it’s Australian dollar, or it sounds very expensive.

Lack of power? I have seen multiple drag races with this and the x maxx and they looks very similar.

Think it would looks more powerfull if you get the same center diff oil as the xmaxx using, partnumber trx 5040 20million thickness. Maby it’s way to thick.

You also mention it’s undergeared, but if one gear it up it could make issues over time?
I don't think you will get any more issues here vs gearing another truck.

Stock it running with room temp on the esc and motor, so i don't see why it cant handle a bigger pinion without issues.

Yes why didnt they include this gear in the box? That is really a good question.

I Like that you are honest and that you telling the truth, but i cant agree with you the way you saying it’s the worst arrma truck you have owned.
It have massive diffs, handle and jump like a champion.
So far zero broken parts on 4 runs.
But im not sending this huge truck higher then a meter before i upgrading the braces.

This bending thing seems to be excactly the same as the k6s, and even v4 haven't solved it out.

I like your channel but i just wish you had putted little more time into the truck, testet it again with thicker center diff oil and a 23t pinion. Run some temp check, speed runs and more.

Last edited:
@Aussie RC Playground I do get your secrecy with disclosing potential flaws prior tp launch which is common in my industry with disclosing serious flaws in general - so all good on that front.

I still have to review your first run but my experience so far was a broken a-arm, the wing mount, rear shock shaft and I am far from a proficient driver so I had lots of odd landings and plenty of cart wheels ... I did however order the M2C chassis but still cant confirm any bending on my truck so I may replace it when it bends or sell it on but I didn't want to be in the position to need one and they are not available when I do.

I also wondered about the 5h scale one I had it out (I generally wonder about this as this is more or a category as a real life track doesn't exist so its not to scale but thats a different conversation) - though looking big and stuff it didn't had some of the characteristics I would have expected as you mentioned eg 8mm shaft, so I am with you. I did put the 23T pinion on it now so temperature issues to be seen but its obviously completely different here to AUS.

I'd say everyone to their liking, I see people buying a new kit, gutting it without running it and then posting about it - I am not sure thats my understanding of buying a kit that fits my needs but as I said ...

what I do see here in the UK as well that getting hold of parts seems to be a challenge and thanks to your hint on YT next time I probably go directly to Arrma instead of HH as they are literally 90 minutes up the road from me to my surprise.

I also wonder about the MT classification as most MTs I see don't really look like a truggy to me, sit higher or the COG does but again this may just be me.

Good, honest opinion and quite a few valid points from my perspective especially considering the region you are in, I said it before, the selection may also be impacted by availability of spares, distribution in the area etc which may push you to another truck than what you potentially would want to buy - just think about the scenario if they had a try and buy scheme ... 2 weeks testing and needing to compensate for any damage - I'd think manufacturers would be paying more attention to testing even for v1 releases.

I may pick the Xmaxx up along the line still but to be seen.

keep the videos coming mate!

PS: can you do a comparison while you still have both size of the Mojave next to the K8S front and top - tempted but would like to see how they compare in size first - would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
I think it was a great video especially in one take. It adds to the fact that he’s just trying to clear things up. He made some great points, and I especially agree with the segment when he talks about the scale of the truck. I’ve been in many fights with people who swear it’s an actual 5th scale, I guess they’ve never seen what a 5th scale looks like.

Hopefully his next run goes better!

I appreciate his honesty with his experience but since I already own one the truck, it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know. It's worth noting that some of the issues, specifically cost and parts availability, are due to the fact that he's in Australia and their dollar is deflated. $1600 for this truck is insane. The Kraton 6S is over $800! Parts are not an issue in the US. I've ordered plenty of parts for the truck and had them 2 days later.

I don't understand the issue with the scale. If you walk into any hobby shop that carries the truck you can see exactly what size it is. Call it whatever you want. 1/5, 1/6.... whatever.

The front and rear diffs are mod 1.5. Only the center is mod 1. I really don't see that being an issue. If you go to a motor with an 8mm shaft you can still get mod 1 pinions. I've bought 3 so far.

I don't know what's going on with his center diff. I ran mine with the stock motor, a 23T pinion and the stock center diff fluid and the front tires didn't balloon to the extent he says his did. He might want to crack open center diff and see what's in there. And he should just go with 20 mil or mix 1 mil and 20 mil. The angst over the $50 2.5 mil was a bit much ?

There are definitely out of the box issues with the truck. For beginners, they should have included an optional speed pinion. This was a complete oversight on their part. The Talion, advertised as 70+ mph, tops out at 45 mph out of the box. You have to install the included speed pinion to make it go fast and most people who bash it end up buying something in between the stock and the speed pinion. No one complains because they included the pinion.

The chassis is standard for an Arrma. Vas responded to a comment on his video and said the M2C chassis is not a must on the 6S Kraton. I have four bent stock 6S chassis that say otherwise. I honestly have no idea how his 8S chassis got as bent as it did. I bashed mine a lot harder on my first run and my chassis was nowhere near as bad. Rich Duperbash and Eric (RC Dude) also bashed their stock trucks and didn't have a mangled chassis. That is very odd and not normal to bend to the extent his did. I stand by the statement that the 8S chassis bends like the 6S chassis.

Regarding the electronics, I think the ESC is fine. The motor needed to be bigger. We will have to wait until warmer temps to see how geared up stock electronics hold up.

I totally understand his disappointment with his initial experience. I'd be pissed if my chassis looked like his after bashing it the way he did in the running video. And the whole "send it back" fiasco was ridiculous. Not sure what Arrma was thinking. Anyway, Vas did an outstanding video of his experience with the truck. As always he was well spoken and his thoughts were well organized. I really do enjoy his channel ???

Great candid video as always Vas. We all need to hear the honest truth, whether we like it or not. Those who take offense to the truth are the ones that can’t handle it for one reason or another.

Personally, I don’t get too caught up on scale ratios as some do. 1/5 scale, 1/6 scale, meh I don’t really care that much. But! There are plenty of other flaws and needs here to pick apart. So many others here are having the same issues.

What’s sad is Arrma had a great run this fall with the Limitless, Infraction, and the Mojave. Those were some very well done rigs. Then to have the build up they did for such a poorly designed truck is quite the let down.

Who cares about backlash, especially from commenters & fanboys. Even Arrma. Take the criticism & make the damn thing better. They engineered a truck to have weak spots or crumple zones to keep other areas safe, but didn't really achieve too much. Even if one of the figurative weak spots are the electronics to keep most drivers from getting in trouble with a huge overpowered truck :ROFLMAO: I digress, but it is what it is, pitiful out the box, & needs tons of upgrades just to be a "true Kraton". I don't care about the scale, how it looks, or how safe it suppose to be. It's a big RC first, & all of my big RCs are crazy, tough, powerful, & fun (except for the X-Maxx). It might be getting there now with $600 in upgrades & a ton of tinkering.

People who never driven real big cars will never understand what they are suppose to be like. Electrics & big cars are problems just as much as having to break in engines & rebuild them after using them up. The losi 1/5 line is wrought with problems that have been weeded out. The first 5t was nearly undriveable due to it's horrible clutch & was seriously underpowered, & it was $1400+tax out the door. The MTXL could hardly move with the tiny motor it had plus the wheels could obliterate its super tough drivetrain.

Most ppl's big car experiences is choked up to the 6s X-Maxx with the fiery ESC & the current 8s vers with the 10% better ESC but the drivetrain is still cheese. If the X-Maxx had the K8S's drivetrain, I would gush over it as much as most its fanboys. Seriously, the damn thing is literally made to keep going even with busted diffs & bent driveshafts, although the ESC can't give full power to the motor so it will be hard to get in much trouble with the stock truck. The stock truck is fairly durable if you leave it stock. I can give it to the the ppl who aren't educated enough to know or care what a sintered gear is, as long as it's metal, they don't care. I spoiled myself with that knowledge long before I got into RC. So when I look at the X-Maxx's diffs, all I see is cheap garbage.

All in all, these big cars will have problems. but the K8S's problems are self-induced. Tiny motor & plastics that arr literally full of holes - really, the purpose of that is NOT to save weight. The car is already heavy as hell, cutting a few oz with holey plastics don't mean much. It's not a racer or a kit with extreme tolerances. The only purposes for the holes in the arms, bulkheads, towers, etc. is to lower production costs & ADD WEAKNESSES. I could go on & explain why but my engineering background will get in the way with that & start me fuming. However, the platform is awesome with all the potential in the world to be a great rig. It simply needs the right components.

Great candid video as always Vas. We all need to hear the honest truth, whether we like it or not. Those who take offense to the truth are the ones that can’t handle it for one reason or another.

Personally, I don’t get too caught up on scale ratios as some do. 1/5 scale, 1/6 scale, meh I don’t really care that much. But! There are plenty of other flaws and needs here to pick apart. So many others here are having the same issues.

What’s sad is Arrma had a great run this fall with the Limitless, Infraction, and the Mojave. Those were some very well done rigs. Then to have the build up they did for such a poorly designed truck is quite the let down.

It's not poorly designed. It's built to a price point. One thing Vas forgot to mention when he was rattling of the things that weren't 1/5 scale is the price is not 1/5 scale. No true 1/5 scale truck sells for $900. Not one. Arrma had an upper limit as to what they wanted this to sell for. And guess what? People still whined about it. Let's just say they used an M2C like chassis, a larger motor and charged $1200 for it. Instead of people crying about the bent chassis they would cry enough tears about the price to fill the Great Lakes. That's fact. All of the things needed to make the truck bulletproof cost considerably more money. The sad thing is I wouldn't have minded. I would have gladly spent $1300 and saved me some wrenching time. Unfortunately the majority of Arrmas customer base are more budget conscious than I.

His chassis bending like that on what he showed in his video is not normal. What you saw from me, @Rich Duperbash and @RC DUDE81 is normal.

Poorly designed or wrong price point, Vas is right here, the K8S doesn't match the expectations raised by Arrma out of the box.

Value = performance - expectation and goes subzero for the K8S

@Aussie RC Playground thanks for your honest review, looking forward to the next one!

Why was this not a major issue and a deal breaker with the kraton 6s?
Like it’s ok that k6s bend but when 8s do it’s a big deal?

Rich Duperbash bashed the stock kraton 8s very hard, when he did the same with stock v4 k6s it bended a lot more.

Im surpriced to see the damages to your truck, since im used to watch them given it a lot more beating, and they seems very durable.

Poorly designed or wrong price point, Vas is right here, the K8S doesn't match the expectations raised by Arrma out of the box.

Value = performance - expectation and goes subzero for the K8S

@Aussie RC Playground thanks for your honest review, looking forward to the next one!
Or unrealistic expectations.

just watched the first run video and wonder if hitting the gutter and twice the gully may have contributed to the bending on those unusual areas and to the degree of the chassis and not the actual jumps?

just watched the first run video and wonder if hitting the gutter and twice the gully may have contributed to the bending on those unusual areas and to the degree of the chassis and not the actual jumps?
When I was tearing mine down after the BMX track bash, I realized that I missed the hole that the pin goes through for the front angled brace. Thankfully I have the m2c chassis so it wasn't an issue. But if you bashed this truck without those braces properly connected on the stock chassis, you would have a really bent chassis. I'm not saying that's what happened, but it isn't that hard to miss that pin.

I've always said Vas tells it as he sees it, mentioned that a few times here. Doesn't sugar coat it like some Ytubers, and that's why I'm subbed still today.
I made sure to disclose in my second run video where I starting launching it geared up, I did bend the chassis and T2T. I like to be honest as well. My first stock out of the box run at the gravel pit it was unharmed. Even had some small jumps and rolls but it was fine. More speed will cause more damage!:eek:Even though Arrma sends me these trucks, I'm honest on my runs and reviews. On the Mojave, it's a Stellar rig! Only broke the body mounts and bumper after beating the snot out of it 3 different runs! I'd say the toughest out of the box than any other truck. I say hats off to Vas @Aussie RC Playground for his honesty. I do think he had a streak of bad luck though... It's an amazing rig once upgraded and tuned just like the 6s trucks. Especially in the SWB form! It's a total dream to drive and tough as nails!
20200130_135024.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back