Kraton Aussie RC Playgrounds Brutally honest opinion of the K8S. Video

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't referring to new comers to the hobby getting a K8 as their very first rig. Those are the lost souls. I am sure they exist.
I was referring to many hobbyists, mostly some with limited experience in 1/10 and 1/8 who have never experienced 1/5 scale before and find the K8 as their first 1/5 to be a bear to deal with. Thus the crying. And Arrma being a company with a good pricepoint draws many newcomers that have a learning curve going.
On the other end, I feel the hard core 1/5 guys are not drawn to the K8 in flocks. Just an observation keeping things in perspective.
1/5 scale is in a different realm.

I pose a question:
How many K8 guys here on AF alone, also own and have experience with other 1/5 scale electric or gas rig brands?
I would venture to say very few. :unsure:???
I am not including the TraxassssX-Max in this equation. That doesn't count here in my book.

Last edited:
I wasn't referring to new comers to the hobby getting a K8 as their very first rig. Those are the lost souls. I am sure they exist.
I was referring to many hobbyists, mostly some with limited experience in 1/10 and 1/8 who have never experienced 1/5 scale before and find the K8 as their first 1/5 to be a bear to deal with. Thus the crying. And Arrma being a company with a good pricepoint draws many newcomers that have a learning curve going.
On the other end, I feel the hard core 1/5 guys are not drawn to the K8 in flocks. Just an observation keeping things in perspective.
1/5 scale is in a different realm.

I pose a question:
How many K8 guys here on AF alone, also own and have experience with other 1/5 scale electric or gas rig brands?
I would venture to say very few. :unsure:???
I don't see the difference in scale as you assume.
Doesn't matter what you own or have owned.
The difference is in the people themselves.
Some buy an RTR, drive it, brake it and have it repaired by a lhs. Others buy an RTR and fully strip it before driving it because they are curious, others buy tons of upgrades.
Value = performance - expectations.
Expectations are personal and set by people and brand marketing, not by scale.

I don't see the difference in scale as you assume.
Doesn't matter what you own or have owned.
The difference is in the people themselves.
Some buy an RTR, drive it, brake it and have it repaired by a lhs. Others buy an RTR and fully strip it before driving it because they are curious, others buy tons of upgrades.
Value = performance - expectations.
Expectations are personal and set by people and brand marketing, not by scale.
Scale is whatever the Mfr says its is. Yes that's marketing. We can split hairs on what is TRULY a 1/5. Another topic. If you have to bring your Rig to a shop for repair because you don't want to learn to fix it (and be a hobbyist). Then you just want the immediate satisfaction of driving something you know nothing about. And that is fun up to a point. There are many who want a Toy to drive and give to someone else to repair. I am that guy, I don't mind helping others with their broken rigs, setting up their radios, and yes ,even putting tires on for them because they don't have the tools.. There are plenty of those types of "hobbyists". The RTR dilemma caused this. Mfr's can easily put these RTR's in the hands of many that cannot build or even have or want the tools to do it themselves. Some don't even own a screwdriver or even a tool box of some type. A very expensive way to approach this hobby nonetheless. But RTR saturated the market, good for our hobby industry.
And, the result is many frustrated people. I have worked on and driven mainstream 1/5 scale rigs and all scales. Mostly fixing gas engines and pull starters that wont start. Been sitting around for months/years on end because they were never stored properly, etc. Neglect from ignorance most of the time. I don't charge money to help another hobbyist. And I see many who have broken rigs sitting in their basement because they don't want to spend the money at LHS anymore if they can even find one. I get it it. But, I prefer to help those that help themselves to learn. I am not a business or a crutch for the occasional hobbyist.
Yes, different people are getting into this hobby. With differing expectations. There is nothing strange or wrong with the K8. It is the people that own them and their differing expectations. They think bigger makes stronger and more durable. Wrong assumption.

Last edited:
Scale is whatever the Mfr says its is. Yes that's marketing. We can split hairs on what is TRULY a 1/5. Another topic. If you have to bring your Rig to a shop for repair because you don't want to learn to fix it (and be a hobbyist). Then you just want the satisfaction of driving something you know nothing about. And that is fun up to a point. There are many who want a Toy to drive and give to someone else to repair. I am that guy, I don't mind helping others with their broken rigs, setting up their radios, even putting tires on for them. There are plenty of those types of "hobbyists". The RTR dilemma caused this. Mfr's can easily put these RTR's in the hands of many that cannot build or even have or want the tools to do it themselves. A very expensive way to approach this hobby nonetheless. But RTR saturated the market, good for our hobby industry.
But the result is many frustrated people. I have worked on and driven mainstream 1/5 scale rigs and all scales. Mostly fixing gas engines and pull starters that wont start. Been sitting around for months on end because they were never stored properly, etc. Neglect from ignorance most of the time.
Yes, different people are getting into this hobby. With differing expectations. There is nothing strange or wrong with the K8. It is the people that own them and their differing expectations. They think bigger makes stronger and more durable. Wrong assumption.
You see these types in the 1:1 car world too, they would rather pay someone else to build their car for them than do the work themselves.

Regarding 1:1, yes, Absolutely true. In the end, they are followers and do whatever the next guy does, whether it is good or not, is not even a consideration. One example is the rice burner tuner crowd. Paying someone else to install mismatched parts and upgrades. Over slam the suspensions, crazy negative camber settings, overly wide rims exceeding the tires section width. etc. Creating a car that is not driveable any longer. Its just a sign of the times. Whether 1:1 or RC, they can all be money pits if you are not realistic.

Regarding 1:1, yes, Absolutely true. In the end, they are followers and do whatever the next guy does, whether it is good or not, is not even a consideration. One example is the rice burner tuner crowd. Paying someone else to install mismatched parts and upgrades. Over slam the suspensions, crazy negative camber settings, overly wide rims exceeding the tires section width. etc. Creating a car that is not driveable any longer. Its just a sign of the times. Whether 1:1 or RC, they can all be money pits if you are not realistic.
Lol I was going to mention the fart can Civics.

Buy a $300.00 16 year old civic hoopdy and sink $8K into it. So common place. I live very near Vaughn Academy of Aeronautics. (train on Planes etc.) All the students drive these things. Many abandoned on the side of the road. All wasted money. Ironic , that you go to school to learn to work on multimillion dollar high tech jet planes and you drive and upgrade hoopdy stuff like this. I know tuition is not cheap these days. But if mommy and daddy are willing to pay.... what else is new. Hey its a millennial thing, isn't it?:unsure: Immediate satisfaction, and a sense of entitlement. But in the end, just spinning their wheels, and living at home when at age 35+ with no desire to work for the things in life that really matter. I blame society for that.

That hoopty Accord got me through college & my first 2 bad jobs. I even keep one around as an extra just in case anyone's main go down. It has come in handy a lot more than I'd like to admit to for a 300k'er. Most of the K8S buyers at my LHS are gassers. A few have X-Maxx POS. One in particular was bought by a buddy who had a 5t even longer than I did & it's still stock. I sold him on it by saying that the stock car would easily run circles around his 5t.

That hoopty Accord got me through college & my first 2 bad jobs. I even keep one around as an extra just in case anyone's main go down. It has come in handy a lot more than I'd like to admit to for a 300k'er. Most of the K8S buyers at my LHS are gassers. A few have X-Maxx POS. One in particular was bought by a buddy who had a 5t even longer than I did & it's still stock. I sold him on it by saying that the stock car would easily run circles around his 5t.
Owning a hoopdy is smart for many people. I had an 88 Corolla that was 18 years old, could not kill it. Bare bones, standard trans. and no radio. Cheapest car to run I ever owned. It would eat brakes and mufflers every few years, that's it. But when you start slamming them and adding $3k in wheels /tires and a turbo, programmers etc., tuned pipes etc. it gets silly. Why do people invest so much money into a zero return on investment.
Even RC is the better investment sometimes.

Owning a hoopdy is smart for many people. I had an 88 Corolla that was 18 years old, could not kill it. Bare bones, standard trans. and no radio. Cheapest car to run I ever owned. It would eat brakes and mufflers every few years, that's it. But when you start slamming them and adding $3k in wheels /tires and a turbo, programmers etc., tuned pipes etc. it gets silly. Why do people invest so much money into a zero return on investment.
Even RC is the better investment sometimes.

cars are terrible investments and mods are worse. I don't mind the whole spend more on mods thing as long as it’s a keeper for you. Can’t flip cars like that though.

I had convinced myself that for my 40th birthday I’d pull the trigger on a McLaren 720s brand new MSO order and then I realized that these things were losing over 100k in the first year +. That is just nuts. Only a few cars on this planet hold their money decent and if you have a car that appreciates its one that you had to hold on to for 20-30 yrs anyway.

Wife and I still drive Hoopties....I keep them on the road.
I’ve tried my best to keep my ‘08 Commander on the road, but it’s starting to have electrical issues. Time to buy a new daily driver for the Mrs and retire it to my backup vehicle. It’s fine for snowy days or when I don’t need my full work van. Otherwise it’s gonna enjoy some downtime.

Boy, this thread got twisted like a K8 chassis... Too soon? :LOL:

Anywho, buying a 1.1 or an RC car should never be called an "investment". A house is an investment. Cars are a depreciating asset..
Agree. I told myself something similar when I bought that private island in the Caribbean. I said, "Bickety. I know this is your 50th birthday present to yourself but you may not get all of your 1.2 billion back." I'll just have to live with the decision ??

Boy, this thread got twisted like a K8 chassis... Too soon? :LOL:

Anywho, buying a 1.1 or an RC car should never be called an "investment". A house is an investment. Cars are a depreciating asset..

a house isn’t always an investment but buy it right and yes it is especially if it has rental income.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back