Kraton Automatic steering in reverse??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuanda1978

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
hi all,
Did a few batteries today (basically my first ones) and noticed something awkward: when I go in reverse the Kraton automatically steers left and right, like going zig zag. No steering input on my side, it just automatically steers left and right alternatively zigzagging.

1- is this normal?
2- is there a way to stop it and have normal reverse?

On another note...I started to notice that the steering radius is enormous, it truly takes a wide, wide arc to steer (unless I strongly brake and put pressure on front wheels).
Steering trim is set to max steering, it’s just that sometimes when at speed (from mid throttle upwards) it feels like I’m almost not steering despite giving max steering input.
I also gave a try at an off road circuit today where it was full of buggys and, apart from myself not being able to drive (and I discovered I don’t like driving an rc on a circuit), it was simply impossible to do the turns even at ultra low speed as the steering radius was too big.

It felt a bit like driving a truck on the Montecarlo circuit :) . And you can imagine the local pros faces with that truck bouncing everywhere on their circuit... :)

Just an update for helping anyone who might encounter these problems: i do believe the problem lies in a servo saver which was factory set as too loose, i would imagine in an attempt to "save" what is known as being the weakest part of the car. For reference, when manually turning the wheels with the car off the servo arms would not even move.

Now i've tightened it, once i try if it makes any difference i'll report back. In any case, i think a stronger servo and servo mount is really a must.

Yes please share your findings. I have been noticing almost the same stuff with mine. I am new to the hobby and confused with it, so would like the input and advice.

I have found that my servo saver loosens up constantly on my v3, I'm going to threadlocker the bugger.

Adjust your toe in to be a bit more neutral and the zig zag in reverse will lessen or even go away. Adjust it too much and it will become unstable at speed going forward, so try a little bit at a time.

Slop in your steering makes this worse but it is not the cause.

I have found that my servo saver loosens up constantly on my v3, I'm going to threadlocker the bugger.

Where/how exactly do you put the glue? I'm adjusting the saver as per Arrma video (meaning that the piece is left mounted on the car), still couldn't take the car out to see if problems are fixed.

Ok, reporting back after new session.

1) I confirm the problem was loose servo saver. I tightened it as per Arrma video, and steering was back to normal, reverse was back to normal.
2) The problem is that after 1 battery the servo loosened again, and i was back to square one. And i can't reallt bother tightening it after each battery.

So...anyone know how to permanently tighten the servo saver? I don't think the problem is the weak stock servo / servo mount per se, as even once i'll mount a stronger servo i believe the saver will give exactly the same problems if not worse (as the servo will have more torque.).

Thanks.

Don't tighten the saver permanently just use good old blue thread locker.

Will try, yesterday I lost steering after one battery, basically servo now turns only in one direction.

I still have to disassemble and check what’s wrong, but I think I’ve smoked it.

I need to solve this problem as I can’t be forced to fix steering after each and every battery.

Yea u smoked the servo. I assume when u open it up you will see this. Gears on 1 side stripped out that's why you are only getting turning in 1 direction happened on my outcast and my kraton. Save yourself the head ache and get a savox sw1210 it's water proof with all metal gearing and is 7.4v capable has a decently fast swing from lock to lock and I run trencher 3.8s. So the stock sand scorpions you deff won' have a problem pushing them around. And from my experience when to have a huge steering radius like that it' because the steering end points havnt been set or the saver is to tight if you loosen the Allen screw on the top of the steering rack. Just do this a turn or 2 at a time checking your turning radius after each adjustment. Trust me the kraton turns on a dime even with the stock servo so you had something else going on. My bet is the screw in the top of your steering rack the 1 on the same side as your servo horn is to tight.
20180216_141102.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back