Average age of forum members

What is your current age?

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter Pan. 49 and still work tight circles around the younger ones...on purpose. My back could feel better sometimes but whatever. No kids, no wife. I like doing my own thing and not being checked for spending. I play like I'm younger on tv.

What kind of industrial maintenance?
I have significant PLC and Fanuc robot experience along with others but I specialize in hydraulics and hydraulic or servo stamping presses.
As in 1500ton to 4000ton.

I have significant PLC and Fanuc robot experience along with others but I specialize in hydraulics and hydraulic or servo stamping presses.
As in 1500ton to 4000ton.

Oh nice, so you’re familiar with Cincinnati Incorporated then. I’ve been in there shop a couples times and they’ve done some work for us before.

Are you in automotive?

I’m just now starting in the realm of robotics, Not in the sense of programming but in grippers and automation. We sure could use a guy like you. We run Yaskawa Robots with Delta Tau PLC.

We make floor pans, bed sides and roof panel with or without sunroof.
We run a tandem press line and the first press in tandem is the heaviest draw press.
I rather enjoy it actually.
We use Fanuc and ABB robots to transfer parts from press to press so I. Reality one is a drop point and one is a pick point so they must work in unison.
If there is ever anything I can do to help you please feel free to ask.

We make floor pans, bed sides and roof panel with or without sunroof.
We run a tandem press line and the first press in tandem is the heaviest draw press.
I rather enjoy it actually.
We use Fanuc and ABB robots to transfer parts from press to press so I. Reality one is a drop point and one is a pick point so they must work in unison.

The $ value of you guys just keeps going up and up. Basically can name your price when you have a few years experience. Companies would rather pay high wages to keep the line running rather than taking a chance on it being down for an hour.

The $ value of you guys just keeps going up and up. Basically can name your price when you have a few years experience. Companies would rather pay high wages to keep the line running rather than taking a chance on it being down for an hour.
I have a kid with a maintenance certificate from some local community college and he cant even read a volt meter. And dear lord don't ask him to weld anything.

I have a kid with a maintenance certificate from some local community college and he cant even read a volt meter. And dear lord don't ask him to weld anything.

Yeah, schooling only gets a person so far. I have had a couple engineer co-ops who are insanely smart, great kids but they don’t know HOW to engineer or design. They don’t know what a ballscrew or linear bearing is or how it works or how to spec one for example. That kind of knowledge is only acquired in the field.

I agree, I quit asking some of the apprentices for anything other than lunch.
Ask them to figure out how to pick a part using all 5 axis so that not any axis is over extended or over rotated is almost like asking some of our younger staff to figure out an A bomb.
Then hand them a build sheet and ask them to develop the accel and decel rates both free and loaded with a part.

I agree, I quit asking some of the apprentices for anything other than lunch.
Ask them to figure out how to pick a part using all 5 axis so that not any axis is over extended or over rotated is almost like asking some of our younger staff to figure out an A bomb.
Then hand them a build sheet and ask them to develop the accel and decel rates both free and loaded with a part.

Yep. This why real trade schools or apprenticeship programs need to come back. I went to Switzerland a couple years back to look at a machine and some tech we were thinking of buying and the guys assembling the machines were basically engineers and the engineers were Phd’d or Doctorate Engineers. Most of them started and worked their way through an apprenticeship program within their company and then some continued their education afterward.

Yep. This why real trade schools or apprenticeship programs need to come back. I went to Switzerland a couple years back to look at a machine and some tech we were thinking of buying and the guys assembling the machines were basically engineers and the engineers were Phd’d or Doctorate Engineers. Most of them started and worked their way through an apprenticeship program within their company and then some continued their education afterward.

The best learners study away from work (during free days,) bring sh*t to the table (no matter what it is but trying,) and execute like they want to own it. Fully committed and "gets it" that they're there to get better and always gain knowledge.

The best learners study away from work (during free days,) bring sh*t to the table (no matter what it is but trying,) and execute like they want to own it. Fully committed and "gets it" that they're there to get better and always gain knowledge.

We had one kid 19 who just got it. He didn’t act like he knew anything and just wanted to learn. Constantly asked questions and actually LISTENED and then applied. Amazing kid, paying his way through school and will be debt free when he graduates. He did 2 semesters with us and was going to do the 3rd with us again (we work on a lot of cool stuff) but I told him to get out there and find out what he likes. Gain knowledge in another engineering field. I tried to get him to co-op at Tesla because he has the credentials to be accepted. I was trying to look out for him and not be a selfish douche because he actually became a crucial part of the team and we needed him. BUT, I made him spread his wings lol. He went to another company and worked on NASA rovers and stuff and something about picking out materials for building houses on Mars. He wasn’t allowed to go into detail. He’s coming back this year because he said he enjoys his job with us more. This kid is going places.

Back