Axial Ryft: Basher? Crawler? Both?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
I'm considering getting a crawler or rock bouncer but don't know much about how versatile they are. I saw the Axial Ryft is on sale and it is one I have been considering along with the Bomber, Capra, SCX10, and Element Enduro.

Seems like it doesn't get good reviews for crawling specifically but does look like it handles much rougher terrain than the average basher. I have a lot of potential great spots for running a rig like that.

@slick2500 I think you bought a Ryft recently, would be interested in feedback if you have any yet. I've wondered if rigs like the Ryft, Bomber, Enduro can be modified a decent amount to make them more specific toward tough crawling or more specific towards a general trail rig with some crawling capabilty but still decent as a basher. I understand it will be slow compared to my other rigs either way, but thats fine considering the places I would use it.

Rock racing/ Bouncers is not Hard Bashing, in real terms. It is unique by itself.
I always felt rock racers, came and went a while ago. But hey if that is your thing, give it a try.
Understand it is not a Hard basher, or equivalent to any Arrma. And it is not much of a Crawler. If you already have a Crawler, you will see this.
But they look nice.

A Summit might be a good option for you. A good bit larger than the rigs you listed but a decent crawler and decent basher.

It won't blow your mind but it is one of my favorite trucks I have ever owned. The ease of switching between somewhat dedicated crawler mode then into bashing mode is just so cool.

I'm considering getting a crawler or rock bouncer but don't know much about how versatile they are. I saw the Axial Ryft is on sale and it is one I have been considering along with the Bomber, Capra, SCX10, and Element Enduro.

Seems like it doesn't get good reviews for crawling specifically but does look like it handles much rougher terrain than the average basher. I have a lot of potential great spots for running a rig like that.

@slick2500 I think you bought a Ryft recently, would be interested in feedback if you have any yet. I've wondered if rigs like the Ryft, Bomber, Enduro can be modified a decent amount to make them more specific toward tough crawling or more specific towards a general trail rig with some crawling capabilty but still decent as a basher. I understand it will be slow compared to my other rigs either way, but thats fine considering the places I would use it.
2000s it wasnt me GIF

A Summit might be a good option for you. A good bit larger than the rigs you listed but a decent crawler and decent basher.

It won't blow your mind but it is one of my favorite trucks I have ever owned. The ease of switching between somewhat dedicated crawler mode then into bashing mode is just so cool.
To quote The Jang "it's a jack of all trades master of none". But yeah it does indeed sound like a Summit would be right up his alley. The stock motor and esc are good iirc it only tops out at like 25mph though. Stock servos are rather meh but the Amazon cheapos drop right in and PowerHd makes a drop in servo to replace the shift servos.

2000s it wasnt me GIF

To quote The Jang "it's a jack of all trades master of none". But yeah it does indeed sound like a Summit would be right up his alley. The stock motor and esc are good iirc it only tops out at like 25mph though. Stock servos are rather meh but the Amazon cheapos drop right in and PowerHd makes a drop in servo to replace the shift servos.
Stick with axial they are the king of rock racing. The wraith can do both crawl and race depending on you set it up.

2000s it wasnt me GIF

Yeah 25mph brand new, going downhill, with a tailwind.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I absolutely loved my Summit as well. Don't buy it if you want to "send it" like a kraton. Save the big jumps for the kraton (even though I still jumped crazy high with my summit). If you're into trailing and taking your RC literally anywhere, the Summit may be a good choice.

I always felt the rock racers were meant to appeal to the "scale" bashing/racing look. You ever see a real 1:1 rock racer or monster truck jump 40 times it's own height and come out unscathed like a Kraton does???

Last edited:
A crawler sounds like the better option because I'm more interested in it being capable at crawling than bashing. I know a crawler can't really "bash" at high speeds, but on a rough enough terrain I would think 15-20 would feel pretty fast. I just don't want a crawler that only goes super slow.

While I will probably crawl with it more than anything, I want it to be decent on a trail. I have a couple of parks within a 10 minute drive that have tons of trails with roots/rocks/etc. I go walk/run the trails 2-3 times a week in the early mornings, sometimes its still dark enough I wear a headlamp and I rarely see anyone else the whole time. Would like something that can both crawl and move along the trail at a decent speed, slap some bright LED's on it and let it add some light to the trail, lol.

Looks like the Wraith and Summit are 2 of the best options that are good crawlers and good trail rigs. I've seen the Wraith on Amain, but it looks to be discontinued? Horizon doesn't have it for sale and figured it must be discontinued since they own Axial. Just wondering about parts availability. I've heard Axial parts are usually not hard to find. Also the Capra seems to be a decent option that could both crawl and be good on a trail, might be a decent option.
:ROFLMAO: Yep, it wasn't! But I did find the thread, it was @N.Mango
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/lets-see-those-crawlers-and-trail-runners.49644/page-23

I always felt the rock racers were meant to appeal to the "scale" bashing/racing look. You ever see a real 1:1 monster truck jump 40 times it's own height and come out unscathed like a Kraton does???
Haha, real monster trucks definitely don't fly like a Kraton! Some of the RC monster truck races do look a lot more scale and move more like real monster trucks. And yes, the look of rock racers appeals to me.

Stick with axial they are the king of rock racing. The wraith can do both crawl and race depending on you set it up.
Rock bouncers came about as guys custom modded there Crawler rigs in rockers. Axial created the first RTR available on that format. The better ones had Motor on Axle F and R, and 4W steering
It was a class event at Axialfest for many years. You basically Jogged/ drove fast through tough trails driving your R Racer for about a 1/4 mile. You needed to be in good pysical shape to run the course in a good time. Many don't finish and give up.

The cars you name are all off a different class. Ryft = rockbouncer, Bomber = ultra 4, Capra = crawler, SCX10 = trail truck, Enduro = trail truck.

The Ryft is most certainly not a crawler, it has open diffs. You will need to lock all 3 diffs to gain crawling ability. The ESC+motor combo needs to be changed to a sensored system to be able to go slow. The stock setup will cog at low speed. You should get the 2 speed transmission if you want to go fast and slow.

You can’t really bash the Ryft without strengthening the axles with tubes or switch to aluminium axlehousings. The straight axles are not suitable for bashing. I broke the plastic rear axlehousing when I did not have tubes in them. And after installing aluminium SSD tubes in the rear axle I bend them. Finally switched to Treal aluminium housings. In the front I used brass beeftubes and those are holding up fine so far.

The Ryft has a small trackwidth and high cog, so will roll over in almost every high speed corner. Stock the rig is mental, it is severely overpowered. I use it for what it is designed for, full throttle hill climbs.

Love my Capra(rock crawler). Very capable. Just saying.
10-12 years ago when crawling was exploding I saw more BIG $$$$$$ rigs that drove like SHi$. Just because they dumped 2K into a rig its gotta climb awesome!!! Let see them old school crawlers post some pictures of our rigs. I'll post mine when I get home I don't think I've driven mine in 5 years hell I took the comp shocks off 6 months ago and still haven't rebuilt them!!

While I will probably crawl with it more than anything, I want it to be decent on a trail. I have a couple of parks within a 10 minute drive that have tons of trails with roots/rocks/etc. I go walk/run the trails 2-3 times a week in the early mornings, sometimes its still dark enough I wear a headlamp and I rarely see anyone else the whole time. Would like something that can both crawl and move along the trail at a decent speed, slap some bright LED's on it and let it add some light to the trail, lol.

Based on this I would get the Bomber and run it with a Hobbywing Axe sensored brushless system (540L motor, 2800 or 3300kv) It will fulfill all off the above mentioned tasks and has lights right out of the box.

Any pictures?
I will take some when she's completed. I have new shocks on the way and still need to add the panels and mount the Super Swampers that she came with.
I'm itching to show her now but trying hard to hold off till she's done. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back