Granite Axle shim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most hardware stores have a meteric nut/bolt section. I popped down to my local mom and pops and found some black 6mm ID washers that are just about bang-on .5mm thick. They were in with some hex-drive machine screws. Total cost $1.20 for 4.

These install behind the pin, under the hex and take 80% of the wobble out of the axles.

I don't recommend shims unless you're using a really slippery material like the Teflon washers Traxxas uses. Else they're going to rub against the bearings. If you notice the wheel hexes, they have a raised lip on the inside half to press against the inner race of the wheel bearing so that the rest of the bearing spins freely in the hub.

Thank you, i had buy washers from my local hardware store but edge of washer was that sharp that ruined my bearing sealed...so now i can chose i right one... @razorrc does thay have this on tower hoobis?

I don't recommend shims unless you're using a really slippery material like the Teflon washers Traxxas uses. Else they're going to rub against the bearings. If you notice the wheel hexes, they have a raised lip on the inside half to press against the inner race of the wheel bearing so that the rest of the bearing spins freely in the hub.
That’s why I shimmed between the inner hub and the bearing, not the outside bearing and the hex. I wanted to push more of the driveshaft together, not pull it out further.

That’s why I shimmed between the inner hub and the bearing, not the outside bearing and the hex. I wanted to push more of the driveshaft together, not pull it out further.

Any instruction on how to do this? I'm looking to remove the slop on my EXB and help help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys i need help...what kind of shims to use on granite wheel axle to tighten a little bit and reduce a wobble?

I could be wrong here so wait for others to chime in....I do believe in shimming which I do on my Infraction v1 and Felony since they are a different beast. I did not do any shimming on the 4x4 and it is a good question. My mindset is the Big Rock and Granite v2 need that movement for bashing and shimming it like my road-cars would not be good for the stress the 4x4 takes....

I could be wrong but for what I do I have not....I've watched a lot of videos like Razer RC and others on tips on the Granite...hours of them to learn how to make it better and tweaks....and have not heard that one mentioned by none of them...

I could be wrong and open to correction :)

Unless your truck is wandering down the road, I wouldn't worry about the slop. If it is wandering down the road, then make a left turn and drive on some dirt. You won't notice it then. :)

Unless your truck is wandering down the road, I wouldn't worry about the slop. If it is wandering down the road, then make a left turn and drive on some dirt. You won't notice it then. :)

This made for a good laugh; thanks! ?

Question - I was thinking more for preventative maintenance, but am I wrong in thinking that?

I am putting sealed bearings in my Notorious and the tolerances on the sealed ones are different and I have more in-out movement than with the stock bearings. Probably 2mm more. Let me grab a couple of pics.

I recall you shimming the diffs? No?

I recall you shimming the diffs? No?

I was talking about the wheel hexes. Diffs and other parts of the drivetrain, yes, definitely shim as needed.

I was talking about the wheel hexes. Diffs and other parts of the drivetrain, yes, definitely shim as needed.
Didn’t you buy/have a shim kit you purchased and stated in one of your vids for shimming the diffs? Or am I thinking of a different kit?? Sorry can’t remember which vid. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I swore you had one with various sizes.

Didn’t you buy/have a shim kit you purchased and stated in one of your vids for shimming the diffs? Or am I thinking of a different kit?? Sorry can’t remember which vid. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I swore you had one with various sizes.

No. You're not going to find a universal "everything" shim kit, because there are a million different ID/OD/thickness combinations, and every car is a little bit different.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back