Granite Back In The Hobby!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapantz

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Vorteks
I just wanted to say a hello!

I haven't had an RC car for around 15 years now despite constantly watching videos etc

I decided to start off with a Granite 4x4 BLX. It's fast for the money, but manageable for my rusty hand-eye coordination. :p

I'm yet to give it a full bash, so it's only done a few laps of the garden. I did notice a leaky rear shock already, and I know this is extremely common. I'm not afraid of fixing things, or upgrading things which leads me to a couples of queries..

Typhon 6S BLX shocks - are they a straight replacement?

I was also looking at the Hot Racing ATF155AF08 shock bodies with the Granites stock springs..

I cannot find either of them available for sale in the UK.

Ideally, I'd like to just get 4 shocks all made up to stick straight in place of the stocks, if that is possible?

Cheers!

I haven't had an RC car for around 15 years now despite constantly watching videos etc

I decided to start off with a Granite 4x4 BLX. It's fast for the money, but manageable for my rusty hand-eye coordination. :p

I'm yet to give it a full bash, so it's only done a few laps of the garden. I did notice a leaky rear shock already, and I know this is extremely common. I'm not afraid of fixing things, or upgrading things which leads me to a couples of queries..

I was also looking at the Hot Racing ATF155AF08 shock bodies with the Granites stock springs..

Ideally, I'd like to just get 4 shocks all made up to stick straight in place of the stocks, if that is possible?

Cheers!

The Typhons are a straight bolt and the Axial AXIA1356 bushings would be needed to take up the slack in the top shock mount. They were hard to find for me but I did get some in time from Jenny's RC....but before I got them I went with the Big Bore sold on eBay in the meanwhile. I do not have experience with HR but doing some search here you can find lots of posts on those and others for Granite shock replacement.

Welcome back to the hobby!

The hot racing shock bodies are a 100% win they are cheap and work well. They also don’t screw up the spring rates or pack in the damping which is finicky and depends on the surface you drive on. Stock is the best suspension setup. Hot racing shock bodies are good.

Cheers!
Welcome back!

I've used both the HR bodies and Typhon shocks on my Granite. You will need to make minor mods to mount the Typhon shocks on the front. If not, they'll rub the driveshafts. Try to get a hold of the Typhon 6s shocks if possible, you won't regret it!

Thank you for all of the replies!

First thing I am going to do, is contact the shop that I bought it from.

The way I see it is, why are shops (or Arrma) allowing these cars to be sold with shocks that have a known issue?

Don't get me wrong, I would happily do some upgrades if I could get the parts, but an RTR car shouldn't need shock changes after a 5 minute buzz around the garden?

It hasn't done a single jump, or gone above 10mph yet. I also found some pictures of an unboxing where the shocks had leaked in the box before the car had even run.

£320 for the Granite is considered to be cheap within the hobby, but that figure took me a while to achieve with everything that is going on at the moment. So I don't particularly want to pay out more money to fix a known issue, if I can help it?!

The parts I would like to get are impossible to find in this country. I don't want to order from the US or anywhere outside of the EU, as I'll be stung for import duties.

Hopefully, the shop will be able to come up with suggestions!

I'm dying to get out bashing too! ?

Do like I did before. I called emailed Horizon Hobbies sent them a picture of leaking shock. They sent a replacement pair and I rebuild the original shock. Now I have to free spares and know how to rebuild my shock which is easy.

Hi folks

Just a quick update on what happened and the outcome.

I did a bit of thinking on how to approach it, because I had some niggles over the car itself. The view I held was, I felt it was wrong to be sold a car with known shock issues.
I'm not adverse to getting my hands dirty to rebuild the shocks, but as the car was less than a week old and only had a ten minute run around the garden (no jumps or going off-road) I felt it to be unacceptable to have to do that with such minimal use.

I spoke to the shop I bought it from and they said they would fix the shock - no problem. However, I felt uncomfortable with just having the one shock done and going to all of the trouble of sending it back etc

I put forward my concerns about it and the employee said to get it sent back and he'll discuss it with his manager.

They provided a post office return label and so I boxed it all up - good as new - and took it down. Only to find out the post office was closed until further notice due to someone working there testing positive for Covid-19. :cry:

I contacted the shop again, and they provided me with a UPS label instead. However, the nearest UPS drop off is miles away and due to other circumstances, it wasn't possible to do that.

I contacted them again, and said that I was happy to pay for my own postage for the item to be collected and delivered back to them within 24 hours.

I got a phone call earlier today to discuss my concerns. Due to those concerns, I said I would like to officially return it and get the Granite 4x4 V3 model instead. It only cost £10 more than the model I had previously bought.

Quite rightly, the shop argued their case for not doing that - in a calm and respectful manner. I pointed out that my consumer rights state that I have 30 days from purchase to get a full refund if I am not happy. This is known as 'short-term right to reject' under the consumer rights act.

The employee looked this up himself and agreed, I did have this right and he wouldn't go against it.

I felt it would be silly to pay £20 of my own money for postage, only for you to fix the shock and send it back. I could have just fixed the shock myself for peanuts without sending the car back.

I said I would like a full refund, but it seemed pointless to do it that way, as I was going to buy the V3 model from their shop, if I got the refund. So I said, if you do agree, I may as well pay you the £10 difference to get the V3 model.

He said he would look in to it and phone me back.

One hour later, I got a phone call to say yes, that's absolutely fine. Pay the £10 extra on my debit card and we'll send out the newer V3 model.

I am so happy!

I would never attempt to fleece any company I bought something from. I had concerns and wasn't happy with the build quality and being it was bought well inside the 30 days of the 'short-term right to reject' consumer rights, I felt it was the right thing to do.

The car was in near perfect shape, apart from the tires looking more grey than black. The body shell was perfect, no tumbles, crashes, or abuse. I packed the car away nicely, and even put back the cellophane cover that protects the body shell.

The shop were outstanding in customer service - no angry or argumentative words were exchanged by either of us.

The guy I spoke to was a gentleman and he even said he can run the parcel sent out right now, to be with me tomorrow.

I wish all customer services could be like this. RC issues can be a grey area when it comes to returns/refunds, but this was handled with class.

Sorry about the long post, but I just wanted to post an update on what happened, one that was extremely positive.

Thousands of people had 3 and 4s trucks with leaky shocks. That's corrected now with the new silicone orings in the V3s. I had two leakers in the box with the K4S. Horizon would have corrected this without all the hassle you went through, did you contact them. Anyway, glad you're straightened out and happy!

40 something years old, and I've just got to have lights!

20201112_165840.jpg

Looks great! I also just bought the V3 and I’m looking for some lights. Which did you buy if I may ask?
I got them from here

I bought the full kit for the Granite and Kraton, plus some extra lights. I was missing the Granite rear light, but the seller has said he will send me it and some extras free of charge.

It took 10 days to get from Miami to here in England, which isn't bad. The lights are bright and the controllers give many options from brightness to modes.

There's new stuff on the way too!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back