Kraton Back into the hobby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slogrits

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Haven’t ran my V3 Kraton in about a year and I am getting back into it. Had to replace all my lipos, found out the hard way, storage charge is a must. I have Voltage Hobby, Hot Racing, RPM, upgrades. I’m taking out my Hobbystar 4092 1480kv motor with 20t pinion and replacing it with Hobbywing 4985 1650kv motor. The HS 1480kv ran cool but, felt sluggish at the high end. Also couldn’t bring the nose up on the jumps sometimes with it.(Lawn Dart) Never had that problem with the stock blx system. Just got too hot and burned it self up. Next working on the shocks, going with emulsion style and upgrading to M2C pistons. My Tekno runs a lot better with emulsion shocks once I upgraded it. Bounces around less on uneven surfaces. Hopefully the Kraton will be the same. For now waiting on parts and fixing the steering plate screws that came loose. Will post a update once I’m done.

Welcome back👍👍

New setup complete. The HW 4985 rips. Much faster than the Hobbystar 4092 1480kv. Runs hotter too. Ran a 21 tooth pinion and motor got to 185 degrees, and 160 degrees on a 19 tooth. Ordered a xmaxx heat sink to cool it a little. As far as the m2c shock pistons and emulsion setup it’s great. A lot less bouncy on uneven terrain. After running half a battery it started to bounce. I run unvented tires gorilla tape over the holes in the rims. The tires pressurized! Max6 combo rips. Guess I will be drilling holes in the tires. Also need to get something to check the speed it was flying on grass today.

I went back out for seconds today. Loosened the rear shock collars and vented the tires. It is really dialed in now. Plenty of power and not bouncing all over the place. Temps were around 168! I would wait let it cool and go again.

Put in a Traxxas XMaxx heat sink. Had to grind away a couple of fins for the tower. Hard time getting the right rotation of the heat sink on the can. It’s a tight fit.

7496760E-9F15-44A7-9CCF-0185303BF104.jpeg

B6FAF074-0E91-41E9-A655-0CF7AF5A2F4D.jpeg

47A63D4A-B7BF-4AF1-BF2B-1170DD99409D.jpeg

A6B5FE00-F54F-44E9-8263-4C0563980205.jpeg

Last edited:
From the pics it looks like there is a gap between the can and the heat sink. If it is a gap it's going to kill your ability to cool the motor. The heat sink needs to be tight to the can to actually work.

From the pics it looks like there is a gap between the can and the heat sink. If it is a gap it's going to kill your ability to cool the motor. The heat sink needs to be tight to the can to actually work.
No gap it is sitting on the heat fins nice and tight. You can feel it gets heat soaked.

Last edited:
Still hits high 160 on 19t pinion on first battery. Let it cool a little and end of 2nd battery it hits 170 degrees. Checking temps is the new norm with max 6 combo. Any suggestions on how to mount a 40mm fan to this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back