Back yard track.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny b

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
  2. Typhon 3s
Homemade track we ran the 5th scale gassers on nearly a decade ago. Poor quality pics sorry. U tube vids still up. Good times..miss it!

IMG_20230110_143301244.jpg

IMG_20230110_142911630.jpg

IMG_20230110_142918902.jpg

IMG_20230110_142921666.jpg

IMG_20230110_143316433.jpg

IMG_20230110_142911630.jpg

Very cool! I thought about clay when I built mine, but too expensive for me so just stuck with the dirt in place after tilling and truckload of cleaned dirt.

It is a blast and I bet you miss it. I'll be extending mine the rest of the length of the yard (that wifey approved!!! :ROFLMAO:) this spring. 😁✌️

Cool! I'm starting a track build in the spring so it's interesting to see what other people have done. Love the bridge, that's something I'm trying to work in.
That’d be awesome! I’ll come run some laps with ya if you do.

Thanks..got carried away though. Became an obsession. Not good! See some action if you care to. Bearfoot Raceway of Eustis florida. UTube.
Just watched a vid of ur track, wow!! That was awesome!! I know exactly what you mean about getting carried away, easy to do! Luckily I'm too lazy (and broke)to get that carried away,LOL. Also, I'm a one man show so.. conveniently my brother seems to always be absent when I'm working on the track but available to race on it!! 🤔🤣🤣

Not
Very cool! I thought about clay when I built mine, but too expensive for me so just stuck with the dirt in place after tilling and truckload of cleaned dirt.

It is a blast and I bet you miss it. I'll be extending mine the rest of the length of the yard (that wifey approved!!! :ROFLMAO:) this spring. 😁✌️
Nothing wrong with dirt. Tried that initially but receive hard downpours in central Florida causing washout. Clay held up quite nicely as water just drained off it if sloped properly. My wife approved of a small track in a portion of the backyard. I may have misinterpreted that...lol.
Just watched a vid of ur track, wow!! That was awesome!! I know exactly what you mean about getting carried away, easy to do! Luckily I'm too lazy (and broke)to get that carried away,LOL. Also, I'm a one man show so.. conveniently my brother seems to always be absent when I'm working on the track but available to race on it!! 🤔🤣🤣
A buddy of mine trailored his tractor down with a large front end bucket. Let me use it for a month, however I have countless hours into it with just shoveling clay in a dump cart behind my riding lawnmower. Actually hired a guy to film that vid. Was happy with the outcome, glad you enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Yeah, what you had there was indeed pretty significant. I have a track on my property that's been in the making for about 3 or so years now. I'm working on clay and rock, basically clearing a wooded are into a track. The biggest challenge is the 30-40 foot hardwood tree's. Even after cutting them, I'm still stuck with the stumps and roots. It'll get there one day!!😁🍻

Property was also full of trees and stumps when I bought it. One day at a time.
Yes sir. I have to step it up I think..the trees might be growing faster than I'm clearing them!! HaHa, just kidding. I keep thinking to myself, if I build it, they will come..🤔🤣🤣

Not
Nothing wrong with dirt. Tried that initially but receive hard downpours in central Florida causing washout. Clay held up quite nicely as water just drained off it if sloped properly. My wife approved of a small track in a portion of the backyard. I may have misinterpreted that...lol.

A buddy of mine trailored his tractor down with a large front end bucket. Let me use it for a month, however I have countless hours into it with just shoveling clay in a dump cart behind my riding lawnmower. Actually hired a guy to film that vid. Was happy with the outcome, glad you enjoyed it.
Yeah, drainage is a major issue with dirt. Had pipes set up but didn't like how I had one cuz I kept hitting it on the one turn, so ripped that out! 😂 It does dry pretty quick in the MD hot summers. I'll come up with something in the spring.

Here's the 2 worse "floods" I've had.

20220702_163548.jpg
21386.jpeg

Cool track! Doesn't have to be big to be fun although the 5th scale needed some room to fully utilize the power band. Bring in a little dirt and slope it properly and she will drain properly and dry out quickly. Option 2... buy a rc boat! Have fun!

Cool track! Doesn't have to be big to be fun although the 5th scale needed some room to fully utilize the power band. Bring in a little dirt and slope it properly and she will drain properly and dry out quickly. Option 2... buy a rc boat! Have fun!
Thanks!!

Can't remember if I shared this link with you when you had mentioned your track before.

Thread 'Smilinbri's RC track build' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/smilinbris-rc-track-build.52483/

Yeah, when I started the track it was meant for 1/12 scale. 1/10s work well too though. When I extend it in the Spring, it'll be wider for the 1/10 rigs I run on it. Can't wait! :LOL:

Yeah, what you had there was indeed pretty significant. I have a track on my property that's been in the making for about 3 or so years now. I'm working on clay and rock, basically clearing a wooded are into a track. The biggest challenge is the 30-40 foot hardwood tree's. Even after cutting them, I'm still stuck with the stumps and roots. It'll get there one day!!😁🍻

Do you have any pics you could share?
Yeah, drainage is a major issue with dirt.

I have access to clay, but I feel like that would just be a different, maybe worse, mess in rain. I was thinking about a mix of dirt and decomposed granite and then angling the track and putting a ditch in. Have you ever experimented with a mix of dirt and rock on your track?

I'm pondering a base layer of river rock or something. But at some point this gets out of hand ... ha.

Last edited:
Thanks!!

Can't remember if I shared this link with you when you had mentioned your track before.

Thread 'Smilinbri's RC track build' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/smilinbris-rc-track-build.52483/

Yeah, when I started the track it was meant for 1/12 scale. 1/10s work well too though. When I extend it in the Spring, it'll be wider for the 1/10 rigs I run on it. Can't wait! :LOL:
Good Lord dude! That's quite a transformation of earth you did there! Ill read through the 6 page track build tomorrow. Very nice documentation of the process. No, I have not seen it before. That's a very nice track you built yourself! What kind of turnouts or events do you host or is it just family members? Like the putting green area space you took advantage of. Very cool! Well done!

Lol-Thanks! For the extension in the Spring I'm having my neighbor come over with his earth moving equipment to scrape the top off for me. I'm done tilling! 😂

No one plays with me! 😔😫 My brother will come up every once in a while to run some rigs, but he's got a fam with young kids and lives 40 mins away. I always tell AF members that if they are in this area, come by!! :D

The wifey and kids only run the Amazon cars cuz they have NO throttle control, so they aren't breakin' my good ones!! 😂

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back