Kraton Backflip question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCBro80

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
Okay, silly question. I can't, for the life of me, backflip my Kraton no matter how hard I try. I'm running 6S w/ copperhead 2 tires. Also running stock diff fluid... Do I need to up the centre diff fluid thickness before I get enough rear wheel spin? Here is an example of what I'm launching off...
20200202_184524_HDR.jpg

Up the center diff. Stock is a very slow turn. 500wt is a decent rotation but will slow down towards the end. 1 million will get it turning quick. I would start with a high punch setting first. If already turned up move to 500wt center diff until you get the feel for it.... also playing in snow. Make sure to seal your rims and vent from the tire.?
Oh also knock that ridge off at the top if the back tires catch at all it will make it difficult to do anything but a front flip lol

I can get flips no prob on all my rigs without changing punch or diff fluid viscosity. I have the standard (DiscountRamps.com) ramps seen on youtube from RCDude, etc and without any added height in the back.
PS: before you go looking to buy some they have been out of stock for at least a year or more. ? They were two for $99 shipped when I bought mine. Excellent buy imo and if they'd get em made again they'd sell the hell out of em.

Okay, silly question. I can't, for the life of me, backflip my Kraton no matter how hard I try. I'm running 6S w/ copperhead 2 tires. Also running stock diff fluid... Do I need to up the centre diff fluid thickness before I get enough rear wheel spin? Here is an example of what I'm launching off...
View attachment 63654
Backflips aren't about dif fluid or ramp angles, although these things might help. They come from throttle control. You need to approach the ramp at 3/4 throttle then goose it as you hit the top of the ramp. Here's a video link explaining https://www.arrma-rc.com/tv/channel/tutorials/HR5WZ654vRQ. Even a full stock 6s vehicle with factory settings for the punch, should be able to backflip if done correctly. Front flip is the opposite at the top of the ramp. Instead of a quick blip of the throttle, you let off or tap the brake at the top of the ramp. This is much harder to master, as bringing the truck back around takes very good timing. Those who can, make it look easy. The rest of us end up with mangled bodies and lots of broken parts.

Backflips aren't about dif fluid or ramp angles, although these things might help. They come from throttle control. You need to approach the ramp at 3/4 throttle then goose it as you hit the top of the ramp. Here's a video link explaining https://www.arrma-rc.com/tv/channel/tutorials/HR5WZ654vRQ. Even a full stock 6s vehicle with factory settings for the punch, should be able to backflip if done correctly. Front flip is the opposite at the top of the ramp. Instead of a quick blip of the throttle, you let off or tap the brake at the top of the ramp. This is much harder to master, as bringing the truck back around takes very good timing. Those who can, make it look easy. The rest of us end up with mangled bodies and lots of broken parts.
So maybe, to clarify, the backflip is happening, just too slowly for the amount of air that I'm getting. I'm doing exactly that... 75% throttleish and then full throttle when I leave the ramp. Here is a video that's a good example of what I see (i.e. landing on my lid instead of full rotation) and made me question the diff fluid (notice the difference between the E-Revo and the Kraton):
They chalk it up to diff fluid, but I get that battery, punch setting, pinion size, tires, etc will all affect the rotational speed of the vehicle. What I don't want to do is really launch it without gaining some experience on smaller jumps, it just seems that nothing I hit is enough to spin it around. I'll have to post a video some time.

Last edited:
My Granite just backflips on it’s own. It’s literally all it knows how to do. The K4S needs more throttle to get it around, but it’s still pretty easy. I can backflip the Granite off a 1ft jump at medium speed. The Kraton takes a lot of speed at that height to get it around. The wing gets in the way on low jumps. But give me three feet of air and it will get around for a single. The Granite will pull triples with about 10ft of air.

This was an all original V4 Kraton with 500k center diff and the speed pinion installed. My very first attempts doing backflips and it was easy!
WTF is this?? ?? Those backflips make you reaaaaallly happy? ??
93A97C90-7728-4C7C-87F3-A217B7D64282.jpeg

Success! Thanks everyone for the input and tips, here is what I tried and what worked.

First, I upped the punch from 5 to 9. Definitely more pick-up, but not enough to make much of a difference:

So, as @crimsonfancy suggested, I shaved a bit off the ramp to increase the take-off angle and, voila! This was literally my first (and 2nd) attempt:

I have to say, the RPM bumper really takes a beating (didn't get full rotation every time). This is gonna get expensive :)

Next, I think I'll try upping the centre diff fluid to see if I can get a quicker rotation.

Cheers!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back