Bad cap pack?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miko1976

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
I run a Killmode cap on 8s. It's the biggest one they make. When I plugged my batteries in there was a huge spark. At first I though it was the XLX2 but it wasn't. Is the cap shot? There's a small bulge on the bottom of the cap pack.

I don't mind getting a new one, but I don't want to run the car unless I sure.

Limitless, 8s, 25 pinion, 34 spool.

Thanks!

I don't think spark means cap pack is bad it depends what connections you run I believe that stops the sparking. What mount you have that allows under 61ttc?

I don't think spark means cap pack is bad it depends what connections you run I believe that stops the sparking. What mount you have that allows under 61ttc?
It's soldered directly to the ESC. One of the wires came loose it seems. Just soldered it back on.

It's soldered directly to the ESC. One of the wires came loose it seems. Just soldered it back on.
I meant your battery connections not how the cap pack is attached. And again what mount you have that allows such low gearing as every other mount including stock only allows down to 60-61ttc

I meant your battery connections not how the cap pack is attached. And again what mount you have that allows such low gearing as every other mount including stock only allows down to 60-61ttc
OSE 8mm battery connectors. But the spark was from the cap, not batteries

Practical Proto mount

Ok, but if you said it was unsoldered I'm sure that's why you got the spark. Should be ok to still run it I'd just check the data log after a pass and see if ripple is low still if not may need to get a new one. PPS mount is minimum 60ttc it says on website and you're only at 59ttc gearing is why I asked lol. Maybe yours has a little more leeway?

Ok, but if you said it was unsoldered I'm sure that's why you got the spark. Should be ok to still run it I'd just check the data log after a pass and see if ripple is low still if not may need to get a new one. PPS mount is minimum 60ttc it says on website and you're only at 59ttc gearing is why I asked lol. Maybe yours has a little more leeway?
Correction, it's a 28 pinion. Just checked. May be a little on the high side lol.

Ok lol that makes since now, was like um can't be lower than 26/34 😂 well hopefully cap pack is all good and everything runs smooth👍

Ok lol that makes since now, was like um can't be lower than 26/34 😂 well hopefully cap pack is all good and everything runs smooth👍
Thanks. I'll definitely get the logs after changing the pinion. Way too much for a TP 2200kv motor. At least that's what I've heard.

Thanks. I'll definitely get the logs after changing the pinion. Way too much for a TP 2200kv motor. At least that's what I've heard.
Actually 28/34 isn't bad at all for speed running anyways. I just ran 111mph on 6s with that same gearing with my TP 4050 2100kv. Ran 126mph today on 6s with 30/34 but I also run 103mm foam tires and GP5 diffs which add about 20+ mph over stock gearing and running GRP's.

Actually 28/34 isn't bad at all for speed running anyways. I just ran 111mph on 6s with that same gearing with my TP 4050 2100kv. Ran 126mph today on 6s with 30/34 but I also run 103mm foam tires and GP5 diffs which add about 20+ mph over stock gearing and running GRP's.
Nice. I run GRP for now and always been on 8s.

Just wondering if the XLX2 can take that gearing, or can I for that matter

I run a Killmode cap on 8s. It's the biggest one they make. When I plugged my batteries in there was a huge spark. At first I though it was the XLX2 but it wasn't. Is the cap shot? There's a small bulge on the bottom of the cap pack.

I don't mind getting a new one, but I don't want to run the car unless I sure.

Limitless, 8s, 25 pinion, 34 spool.

Thanks!
Wow! I thought I was mistaken when the same thing happened to mine. 8s Killmode cap pack on my Talion Mamba monster x 8s had a huge spark and charcoaled my CC 6.5 polarized connector. I switched to Ripple Killer 8s but didn’t like the size so now I’ve got a cool little FLOPACK RC “The Pack” cap pack. Also has a voltage display which i find useful…. Takes up way less room. Back to the topic, did you call Killmode and get an explanation?

In your first post, you said that one of the caps is bulging at the bottom? If so, DO NOT use that cap pak!! When a Capacitor is bulging, it is damaged. It may start to leak dielectric fluid, also.

Thinks to look for are; deformation, leaking fluid, burnt markings and burnt smell.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back