Granite Bad Grinding Sound In Reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh, hehe. I would advise caution on the lithium grease. It almost looks like in the pictures that the plastic has softened. That being said I have heard people running it without issue as well. There are so many different greases out there its hard to know what was added in and if that would breakdown the plastic.

The diff ring I was mentioning is the larger gear on the housing of the diff itself. They sell just the ring gear and cover should you get ambitious or get tired of ordering the entire part. https://www.ebay.com/itm/133880405471?epid=21023000896

I have had the granite torn down many times and rebuilt one all the way down to the bare chassis, cleaning and replacing parts along the way. I would check your punch setting, have your slipper adjusted well, they are a lot of work.. If I want to just pull wheelies that's what I have the Redcat Brontosaurus for :LOL:

Last edited:
Ahh, hehe. I would advise caution on the lithium grease. It almost looks like in the pictures that the plastic has softened. That being said I have heard people running it without issue as well. There are so many different greases out there its hard to know what was added in and if that would breakdown the plastic.

The diff ring I was mentioning is the larger gear on the housing of the diff itself. They sell just the ring gear and cover should you get ambitious or get tired of ordering the entire part. https://www.ebay.com/itm/133880405471?epid=21023000896

I have had the granite torn down many times and rebuilt one all the way down to the bare chassis, cleaning and replacing parts along the way. I would check your punch setting, have your slipper adjusted well, they are a lot of work.. If I want to just pull wheelies that's what I have the Redcat Brontosaurus for :LOL:
Kind of torn about the grease. This is the first time I’ve ever heard of it possibly causing issues. Where in my photo do you see it maybe softening the plastic?

I suppose I could switch to red and tacky while I have things opened up. Bet it would be a pain to clean off the lithium.

I looked on Amazon and there seems to be some very expensive options for red and tacky. Can you recommend which one to get? I saw they have a spray among other Methods of application.

I do know they sell just the diff casing. I consider it when I bough the new diff earlier. The complete diff from jrc is just a better value in this case. I get a complete diff even with a few bearings still attached. If I got the casing I would also need a bottle of diff oil since I currently have none. The cost of the diff oil and the casing would cost me more than the already built diff from jrc.

I appreciate all your advice.

Kind of torn about the grease. This is the first time I’ve ever heard of it possibly causing issues. Where in my photo do you see it maybe softening the plastic?

I suppose I could switch to red and tacky while I have things opened up. Bet it would be a pain to clean off the lithium.

I looked on Amazon and there seems to be some very expensive options for red and tacky. Can you recommend which one to get? I saw they have a spray among other Methods of application.

I do know they sell just the diff casing. I consider it when I bough the new diff earlier. The complete diff from jrc is just a better value in this case. I get a complete diff even with a few bearings still attached. If I got the casing I would also need a bottle of diff oil since I currently have none. The cost of the diff oil and the casing would cost me more than the already built diff from jrc.

I appreciate all your advice.

Superlube is the best I've found, after trying red and tacky and white lithium. I use the grease and oil. It’s very affordable also.

Superlube is the best I've found, after trying red and tacky and white lithium. I use the grease and oil. It’s very affordable also.

I didn’t like lithium it seem to pack down between the teeth and not really lube like it should. It got gunky.

I didn’t like the red and tacky automotive smell and feel. Superlube is actually food grade, nicer to work with. It doesn’t get gunky either.

I have a can of the Superlube synthetic grease as well. I agree, seems like great stuff but I just feel like the red and tacky stays put longer. Where I am more concerned about the plastic I use the Superlube.

I have a can of the Superlube synthetic grease as well. I agree, seems like great stuff but I just feel like the red and tacky stays put longer. Where I am more concerned about the plastic I use the Superlube.

Sure. As long as you service it often. Leave it on there a bit too long and it also gunks up, compacting between the teeth. I’ve haven’t had this issue with super lube. I have four 3S cars…8 differentials to keep in order so I don’t like having to service them that often. superlube just gives the best results.

Always good to have options :). I have heard about some off issues with the lithium grease in a few random spots. Quick search turned up this: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/what-grease-for-plastic-diffs.15889/
Maybe some other forum members could chime in?

Red and Tacky seems to be the go to grease though. I just use this: https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10005-Tacky-Grease/dp/B000ARPVO8
One thing I am wondering: is it “too late“ for me to switch to red and tacky? Yesterday of course I had rebuilt my rear diff and it has a fresh coat of lithium grease on it. I only ran the car for like 2 minutes before I discovered I had more issues I had to look into. But it’s now just sitting in that new lithium grease. Is it already too late, maybe softening the plastic or whatever? I am slammed at work today but I could try to open it up and wipe off what I can since it’s going to be a few days until my front diff parts come.

What’s a good way to clean grease off the parts?

Sure. As long as you service it often. Leave it on there a bit too long and it also gunks up, compacting between the teeth. I’ve haven’t had this issue with super lube. I have four 3S cars…8 differentials to keep in order so I don’t like having to service them that often. superlube just gives the best results.
Thanks for the tip, I will keep an eye on this. I prefer the texture of the super lube as well. This is what I picked up in that department. https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-41160-Synthetic-Translucent/dp/B0083R1FME
One thing I am wondering: is it “too late“ for me to switch to red and tacky? Yesterday of course I had rebuilt my rear diff and it has a fresh coat of lithium grease on it. I only ran the car for like 2 minutes before I discovered I had more issues I had to look into. But it’s now just sitting in that new lithium grease. Is it already too late, maybe softening the plastic or whatever? I am slammed at work today but I could try to open it up and wipe off what I can since it’s going to be a few days until my front diff parts come.

What’s a good way to clean grease off the parts?
I would read through that forum thread I linked and do you what you think is best ;)

This is white lithium after about 10 runs?.
It felt like gritty toothpaste. As @Velodromed said it packs in. Going to break her down over the weekend check diffs again. Im sure I'll post about it lol.

20210917_004415.jpg

20210917_004443.jpg

The build up I beleive caused heat which warped my housing. Just my .02

That buildup is bad news. I got a tub of Red n Tacky for cheap and it will last me for a loooong time.

If you are chewing up input and ring gears I suspect your slipper is (or was) set too tight. Loosen it up until it slips, then tighten it down a tiny bit at a time until it just slips a tiny bit. It's low tech but I will put the truck down on carpet and punch it - carpet is super high traction so if it slips a bit on carpet that is just about right.

Thanks for the tip, I will keep an eye on this. I prefer the texture of the super lube as well. This is what I picked up in that department. https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-41160-Synthetic-Translucent/dp/B0083R1FME

I would read through that forum thread I linked and do you what you think is best ;)
I skimmed it a bit last night. This could be coincidental but I feel like I have been having a lot of diff problems that I swear begin after the first time I ever opened up the truck to take them out. I had zero issues with my diffs for the first 4 months of having my truck and then now it seems like nothing but problems. It could be the grease...or it could be me landing with the throttle on, which I try not to do.

But if there is a chance the grease is causing issues, I don't mind spending a few bucks and switching to red and tacky. The question is, how can I get it off? Is water ok to use as long as I dry it good of course?

Is it "Too late" to take the lithium off my front diff even though I barely ran it with it on? (I don't know if causes issues IN USE or is simply having it ON already going to potentially soften things up?)

I skimmed it a bit last night. This could be coincidental but I feel like I have been having a lot of diff problems that I swear begin after the first time I ever opened up the truck to take them out. I had zero issues with my diffs for the first 4 months of having my truck and then now it seems like nothing but problems. It could be the grease...or it could be me landing with the throttle on, which I try not to do.

But if there is a chance the grease is causing issues, I don't mind spending a few bucks and switching to red and tacky. The question is, how can I get it off? Is water ok to use as long as I dry it good of course?

Is it "Too late" to take the lithium off my front diff even though I barely ran it with it on? (I don't know if causes issues IN USE or is simply having it ON already going to potentially soften things up?)

I would just wipe out as much as possible and then try a little carb cleaner. Not sure what the appropriate solvent would be for this, but water won't do it.

IMO. Yes just wipe it off. What ever would be soaked in already is. Its not bad really on clean up.

I also felt the same way. Most was prob ok till I fiddled with it. Lol. But I HATE to admit it its prob 1 of 2 things
1. User error even if we don't know or think so. Usually 1 little thing barely outa line. Then that chain reactions start.
2. I agree also with lots of others in that QC and materials are very luck induced. But I see how...with open up business. Shut down business. It would be diffucult to run a process if ur power (ability or means) goes out alot.

Superlube is the best. Use it all the time, for a number of different things, not just for my RC rigs. It's an awesome grease and oil. Get it on Amazon.

I just got my Granite 3S up and running again this afternoon, having had to replace the slipper set assembly. But during my first run, I immediately noticed a new problem. When I go forward and hit the brake/go in reverse this is this fairly bad grinding sound happening. On top of that, the back wheels will skid/spin far more than the front.

Looking for some ideas of what it could be? Thanks!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0WC-UaYkOaoahms2tjPr-gJEw
I would say that's a rear diff issue. But by the time when running forward everything is good, I would say check slipper. Check if you used all parts and didn't forget anything while assembling. Maybe you just need to tighten or losen slipper

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back