Bad Lipo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harriot10

Speed runner with a learner’s permit 🤣
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Felony
  3. Granite
  4. Infraction
  5. Kraton 8S
  6. Kraton 6s
  7. Kraton EXB
  8. Outcast 6s
  9. Typhon 6s
I recently noticed one of my HRB 3s lipos looks a little deformed on one end, probably from impact!? Cells are still balanced and I don’t see any leakage. Should I get rid off this thing?
FC4A3DE0-3826-4631-80B3-FF5985AA2726.jpeg
97770617-DDCF-4413-A600-03C29580BEAE.jpeg
09135518-F013-4CDF-BFDE-218EF0473284.jpeg

Boy, this is going to be a great thread.
If there is no puncture, it wont explode.
Some will say keep using it if the cells are all good. Others will say its bricked and unsafe.
That's a personal call.
I have slightly deformed cells on one pack (not as bad) from hard impacts. Still using it. I would definitely monitor the cells very closely. If you get a bad one. Toss the whole pack. Mounting your lipo pack properly usually prevents damage like this. But carnage just happens sometimes.
Lets see what others have to say. (y)

Listen to @gotnitro. He said it best.
Ultimately it's your call, your home, your family. (y) :cool:

edit: if you were to bring that lipo to your LHS and asked them. He would recommend a new lipo to replace it. Same holds true if your were to ask the battery MFR their opinion.

Boy, this is going to be a great thread.
If there is no puncture, it wont explode.
Some will say keep using it if the cells are all good. Others will say its bricked and unsafe.
That's a personal call.
I have slightly deformed cells on one pack (not as bad) from hard impacts. Still using it. I would definitely monitor the cells very closely. If you get a bad one. Toss the whole pack. Mounting your lipo pack properly usually prevents damage like this. But carnage just happens sometimes.
Lets see what others have to say. (y)

This ^

Exact same opinion here. I have had no problems with my visibly deformed packs and I have continued to use them for quite some time now.

Caveat- Definately your decision though..

Listen to @gotnitro. He said it best.
Ultimately it's your call, your home, your family. (y) :cool:

edit: if you were to bring that lipo to your LHS and asked them. He would recommend a new lipo to replace it. Same holds true if your were to ask the battery MFR their opinion.
It’s not worth the risk! IT’S GOTTA GO! LHS sells gensacearespammers! Maybe for when I finally get the Infraction. I’m using these 3s lipos at skate parks, BIG AIR!?
I wonder where the safest place would be to take it? My LHS??
It’s not worth the risk! IT’S GOTTA GO! LHS sells gensacearespammers! Maybe for when I finally get the Infraction. I’m using these 3s lipos at skate parks, BIG AIR!?
Battery warehouse will take it! RIP HRB!

Last edited:

Battery warehouse will take it! RIP HRB!
Discharge it till it is below 1 v. And it is safe to throw in the trash. Fact. No matter the locality IMHO. Lithium polymer is not toxic to the environment. But many Tree Huggers run our system and say otherwise. Nimpacks and Nicad are way different AND are toxic by comparison. Lithium Polymer is just dangerous and volatile when it is charged. If it makes you feel "Better", a LHS or Big box store will take it off your hands. They make money recycling them. They could care less about the recycling effort. But let you believe otherwise, that it is the "Right conscientious thing to do". There is much misinformation about Lipo's.
:cool:

Discharge it till it is below 1 v. And it is safe to throw in the trash. Fact. No matter the locality IMHO. Lithium polymer is not toxic to the environment. But many Tree Huggers run our system and say otherwise. Nimpacks and Nicad are way different AND are toxic by comparison. Lithium Polymer is just dangerous and volatile when it is charged. If it makes you feel "Better", a LHS or Big box store will take it off your hands. They make money recycling them. They could care less about the recycling effort. But let you believe otherwise, that it is the "Right conscientious thing to do". There is much misinformation about Lipo's.
:cool:
Any recommendations on 3s lipos? I guess I’m better off with all hardcase lipos for this reason. I’ve been told some of the soft packs are reinforced??

Reinforced softpack? NO such animal IMHO. You are either soft pack or hard case.(plastic)
Hard case kind of limits your selection and usually cost a bit more.. Just playing devils advocate. One of my hardcase Genace 4S cracked open. I gorilla taped it. But I see one cell dropping off from the rest now. Another of my hardcased lipo's split open from one cell puffing.
I usually use a hard foam insert at the front of the pack if it sits too loose depending on its size. And velcro properly to prevent lipo carnage.
But :poop: happens no matter what sometimes.:cool:

Reinforced softpack? NO such animal IMHO. You are either soft pack or hard case.(plastic)
Hard case kind of limits your selection and usually cost a bit more.. Just playing devils advocate. One of my hardcase Genace 4S cracked open. I gorilla taped it. But I see one cell dropping off from the rest now. Another of my hardcased lipo's split open from one cell puffing.
I usually use a hard foam insert at the front of the pack if it sits too loose depending on its size. And velcro properly to prevent lipo carnage.
But :poop: happens no matter what sometimes.:cool:
I’m probably going to continue to buy hardcase lipos! First thing I did before getting back into the hobby was read a lot of articles and watch videos on Lipo safety. They ain’t nothing to mess with! Keep mine locked up tight!?
E794EBFE-DDE1-4008-986F-90DF8F1F2051.jpeg
AAAEDB87-1129-4CE3-9020-7027FFC53F93.jpeg

Last edited:
I also keep my lipos in a air tight ammo box but when ever I open the box up, a strong spray paint smell comes wafting out. Anyone else notice this ? if quite a nauseating smell. Im wondering if one of my lipos is leaking??

I recently noticed one of my HRB 3s lipos looks a little deformed on one end, probably from impact!? Cells are still balanced and I don’t see any leakage. Should I get rid off this thing? View attachment 91329View attachment 91330View attachment 91331
I don't see anything wrong here...should be fine ;)

Seen people like Kevin Talbot just slap his lipo's on conrete to flatten them and they were bent in half...that said, you might take it out to your driveway and gently straighten it. Should be fine ;)
I’m probably going to continue to buy hardcase lipos! First thing I did before getting back into the hobby was read a lot of articles and watch videos on Lipo safety. They ain’t nothing to mess with! Keep mine locked up tight!?View attachment 91446View attachment 91447
Soft packs are fine in most Arrma's since they all come with battery boxes. I jave both and prefer soft packs, long as they are secured well damage shouldn't be an issue but even in a perfect world there are things that can make velcro release. That said, I don't trust batteries with shells. Have been fooled too many times. Bought several batteries that were shelled that ended up having much smaller batter in them and most shells make the power lines come out of the top which is no Bueno for stacking...also, they tend to be cheaper all in all ;)

I also keep my lipos in a air tight ammo box but when ever I open the box up, a strong spray paint smell comes wafting out. Anyone else notice this ? if quite a nauseating smell. Im wondering if one of my lipos is leaking??

An airtight container is a very bad idea. You have just contained a possible fire and instead created a bomb. Should a battery hit thermal runaway pressure will build and build in the airtight steel box until it fails with a bang and throws hot bits of steel all over your house. An ammo box should be steel but not air tight.

It’s the smell of the box! Mine has a smell also
I don't see anything wrong here...should be fine ;)

Seen people like Kevin Talbot just slap his lipo's on conrete to flatten them and they were bent in half...that said, you might take it out to your driveway and gently straighten it. Should be fine ;)

Soft packs are fine in most Arrma's since they all come with battery boxes. I jave both and prefer soft packs, long as they are secured well damage shouldn't be an issue but even in a perfect world there are things that can make velcro release. That said, I don't trust batteries with shells. Have been fooled too many times. Bought several batteries that were shelled that ended up having much smaller batter in them and most shells make the power lines come out of the top which is no Bueno for stacking...also, they tend to be cheaper all in all ;)
Battery is long gone. Don’t want to take any chances!??

That smell is your lipos gassing. It’s normal. But if you let that gas build up in a sealed box, you risk an explosion.

That smell is your lipos gassing. It’s normal. But if you let that gas build up in a sealed box, you risk an explosion.
Just watched a YouTube video of a Lipo going off in a sealed ammo can. No explosions! Gets hot and smokes a lot! ? I’ll probably get the bat-safe anyway! ?‍♂️

Last edited:
The ammo box only contains a fire, if it goes bad it will heat up to glow red hot i.e. store it on something that doesn't catch fire (tile etc)
Smoke will not be contained, remove the gasket and you should be ok from a pressure standpoint. I don't store my lipos indoors mainly for the potential smell when things go sideways.

I've never noticed my Lipo's 'smelling' they do not 'gas-out' like NiCd, they are sealed and if the smell something bad will happen quickly. Keep in mind that lithium does not like any sort of moisture and will react rather viloently, even moisture in the air will create a reaction.
New ones might have a smell from the plastic packaging but I've never experienced it.

The ammo box does smell like paint, if it's new and air tight. Sounds like that is your issue. Smelling Lipo would be ruined already if the hermetic packaging was punctured.

Just watched a YouTube video of a Lipo going off in a sealed ammo can. No explosions! Gets hot and smokes a lot! ? I’ll probably get the bat-safe anyway! ?‍♂️

If smoke came out it is not sealed. If it is sealed it might not explode.... but it could. That would be bad. Ammo can with no airtight seal stored outside is your best bet. I can’t always do that in Ottawa as I assume -35 would not be good. ?

If smoke came out it is not sealed. If it is sealed it might not explode.... but it could. That would be bad. Ammo can with no airtight seal stored outside is your best bet. I can’t always do that in Ottawa as I assume -35 would not be good. ?
Don’t think storing them outside in MD is any better! Hot and humid!
I love it, so many different opinions on the correct way to store lipos! I always kept mine in fire proof lipo bags at all times before and now store them in the bag inside of the ammo can. I guess everyone has their own way, I just want to be safe!

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back