Bad Lipo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Texas and have kept mind in the garage since I got them we wihout issue. There is a lot out there that says not to store in your house but I don't want to store them in our greenhouse (don't have a shed) nor do I want to just leave them outside, so lipo bags and garage it is...probably fine if they stay inside but...

Really the most dangerous time for lipos is disharging and charging. Outside of severe damage I've not heard of any lipo self destructing just because...

Outside storage is never an issue incl. down to -35 or more.
Only thing to remember is to NOT use them at that temperature, not even charging. Let them defrost and settle at ~70F until they are throroughly thawed out.Only issue is the plastic gets brittle and must be handled with care.
I keep mine in plastic tubs with dehumidifier packs. Freezing is not an issue in my area but done it in colder climates as well.

The lipo bag is sufficient. Bomb no good ;)

Lipo bag is useless for a large lipo. Ammo can with gasket lid seal removed or vented is best.
Lithium Polymer does have a very sweet smell, mostly and slightly when new. Out the box, I received a very sweet smelling Lipo, the cells were all out of wack, some very low. Mfr said to discard and they sent me another which did not smell. The lipo stunk out the house very bad. It was hermetically sealed, and when unsealed and opened it actually got me nausious. That strong.
Kevin Talbot does crazy weird things. He does that for likes etc. He is a hack.
I would not trust his advice on Lipos. Slapping them and flattening them. Don't follow his lead.:cool:

Don’t think storing them outside in MD is any better! Hot and humid!
I love it, so many different opinions on the correct way to store lipos! I always kept mine in fire proof lipo bags at all times before and now store them in the bag inside of the ammo can. I guess everyone has their own way, I just want to be safe!

Ammo can is a great choice as long as it's not sealed. Take the seal out or drill a couple air holes and you are good. I store mine in a steel toolbox inside a LiPo safe bag. (Ok bags... I have more than one) Normally this is in my garage when it's really cold and in the shed when it's not.

Lipo bag is useless for a large lipo. Ammo can with gasket lid seal removed or vented is best.
Lithium Polymer does have a very sweet smell, mostly and slightly when new. Out the box, I received a very sweet smelling Lipo, the cells were all out of wack, some very low. Mfr said to discard and they sent me another which did not smell. The lipo stunk out the house very bad. It was hermetically sealed, and when unsealed and opened it actually got me nausious. That strong.
Kevin Talbot does crazy weird things. He does that for likes etc. He is a hack.
I would not trust his advice on Lipos. Slapping them and flattening them. Don't follow his lead.:cool:
Eh? I jave 8 3s batteries in one bag with plenty of room for more if I want. Remember seeing a video on packed bags and when the dude set off one of the batteries he only had one other lost to the fire...

TBH, use whatever you feel is safe but I'm in for these bags as they have materials designed to handle flame and they are WAY cheaper than an ammo box...a metal one at least.

Eh? I jave 8 3s batteries in one bag with plenty of room for more if I want. Remember seeing a video on packed bags and when the dude set off one of the batteries he only had one other lost to the fire...

TBH, use whatever you feel is safe but I'm in for these bags as they have materials designed to handle flame and they are WAY cheaper than an ammo box...a metal one at least.
I guess something is better than nothing. I watch my packs closely . I have a large lipo bag. But I don't feel the material will contain 2 7000mah 6S bricks on fire in the first place. I have the med. size Bat Box. also. I use to store some of them.

I guess something is better than nothing. I watch my packs closely . I have a large lipo bag. But I don't feel the material will contain 2 7000mah 6S bricks on fire in the first place. I have the med. size Bat Box. also. I use to store some of them.
That's my thought, thinking steel ammo box looks dope but if all you're doing is trying to prevent your home from burning down either should do the job so long as the ammo box isn't sealed.

Not gonna lie, if I had a metal ammo box I'd being using the heck out of it ;)

I’m probably going to purchase the $60 bat-safe. I’ve got several packs, from 2s - 6s. I’m sure to add more lipos to my collection as I continue to buy RC’s. I wonder how many packs you can fit in the bat-safe?

I’m probably going to purchase the $60 bat-safe. I’ve got several packs, from 2s - 6s. I’m sure to add more lipos to my collection as I continue to buy RC’s. I wonder how many packs you can fit in the bat-safe?
You don't have to spend that much if you just want to prevent your home from burning down. You can fit at least 20 3s packs in one of the large bags and their like $12...that's not to say you can't spend that money, just saying there are just as effective and cheaper methods of storage. I bought two bags, one for my 3s (that I use most often) and the other for my 2s...can't carry a safe around but an ammo box or lipo bag is portable.

As a note, only the rectangular bags are any good, from what I understand the envelope type tend to shoot flames out of the top while the bags have failres around the zipper usually the plush nature of the material and size seems to keep it mostly contained...

You don't have to spend that much if you just want to prevent your home from burning down. You can fit at least 20 3s packs in one of the large bags and their like $12...that's not to say you can't spend that money, just saying there are just as effective and cheaper methods of storage. I bought two bags, one for my 3s (that I use most often) and the other for my 2s...can't carry a safe around but an ammo box or lipo bag is portable.

As a note, only the rectangular bags are any good, from what I understand the envelope type tend to shoot flames out of the top while the bags have failres around the zipper usually the plush nature of the material and size seems to keep it mostly contained...
I have two Lipo bags myself that I purchased from amazon. One is called colcase and I have the zeee bag with Velcro holes for the wires. Both are good size!

That's my thought, thinking steel ammo box looks dope but if all you're doing is trying to prevent your home from burning down either should do the job so long as the ammo box isn't sealed.

Not gonna lie, if I had a metal ammo box I'd being using the heck out of it ;)

Last edited:
?? I watched those same vids yesterday! You can get a ammo can from Amazon for $34?‍♂️ Luckily one of my coworkers that also has several RC’s w/lipos gave me my ammo can. I still have the seal in mine! I’ll probably not remove it completely, but vent it.

I always charge in bags (not pouches) and store in a bag inside my ammo can!

Ammo cans is the cost effective way to go.
Just vent it however you want. If completely sealed tight, it has the potential force of a pipe bomb.:sick:
Lipo's on fire cannot be extinguished during the burn cycle. It needs to burn out on its own. Sand thrown onto them can contain it to some extent, but the oxygen in the air is what feeds a Lipo fire until there is no more Lithium polymer to burn. You cant remove oxygen from the equation well enough. It is in the air. All you can do is contain the fire in a suitable container so it wont spread to you, your house, or others. :cool:
The only fire extinguisher that may work is a Nitrogen gas in theory. N2O displaces oxygen and will starve the fire. Most other extinguishers may even spred the fire or just slow the burn down. But it will still burn. You want the contained fire to burn out fast and not last long. (y)

Last edited:
Lipo bags are crap. They've become an impulse marketing tool. Like an ounce of prevention will really contain a 6S 9400mah brick fire???:LOL:
But I'm also a member of the club with the large square Hobbymate bag. Its used for transporting only. I don't consider it as a fire prevention device.
Those lipo bags are meant for one single 3.7v 200mah lipo on fire. :ROFLMAO: Who is kidding who here?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back