Bad motor - kind of hit a curb lol...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sissupr

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Took the infraction out for a little street bash and drifted into a curb (not even 5 mph ? )...

anyways, car wouldn’t move and was making a horrible sound when hitting tbt throttle... Instantly I’m think the pinion and spur gear needs to get reset (gear mesh). Well, I’m trying to set it and hear this sound when I apply throttle or reverse and I’m thinking why is it so hard to get the mesh right...

The video clip is me hitting full throttle and reverse... it won’t ‘go’ if that makes sense and if it does, it will ultimately do the same noise forward or reverse.

Possible bad gear inside the motor? It’s a stock BLX185.

I’m not totally bummed if it’s a bad motor lol, was waiting to upgrade it anyway!

thoughts?

First step would be to check the motor bearings. Simply replacing those if they are bad would save you a nice chunk of change.

Of course if you always planned to swap motors now is as good a time as ever. Lol.

How do you get this motor bearing out on the cover side? Shaking my head over here...

Attachments

• 391056CD-BBC8-4800-8DD5-A9F6A5D06DD5.jpeg
    391056CD-BBC8-4800-8DD5-A9F6A5D06DD5.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 4788CF40-F0FD-44D9-9608-864614589470.jpeg
    4788CF40-F0FD-44D9-9608-864614589470.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 35
If you can warranty the motor, I'd do it and just keep it for a spare. Even after upgrading motors you may get into a situation down the line where you'll need a spare.

Lol, well... I’m out of bread at the house ?, guess I’m SOL... any other options?

edit: I’d rather not drill out the back of the cover... but whatever if that’s the only way

Last edited:
No don't trill it
Lol, well... I’m out of bread at the house ?, guess I’m SOL... any other options?

edit: I’d rather not drill out the back of the cover... but whatever if that’s the only way
Use bread no joke shove in the hole pice by piece use the shaft to conpress it everytime
Its going ti act like a hydrolic fluid and will make your bearing come out i quarantee you
You can maybe use maybe candle waxx? Idk
Drilling a hole in the back will make your back bareing exposed to the elements and can make it last less or even fail

One more for you then! Lol.

Last question and then I’m grabbing an adult beverage ?

I don’t remember in what orientation two washers and the metal spacer go on the back side of the shaft. Is it washer, spacer, washer, then the back cover? There’s of course no exploded view in the manual ?‍♂️.

Attachments

• 550C48C7-6B30-4CF3-8DA5-318BBCD9AB6D.jpeg
    550C48C7-6B30-4CF3-8DA5-318BBCD9AB6D.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 7DD4C5A8-7A73-4557-81CB-1C2A47FAAB42.jpeg
    7DD4C5A8-7A73-4557-81CB-1C2A47FAAB42.jpeg
    423.2 KB · Views: 48
One more for you then! Lol.

Last question and then I’m grabbing an adult beverage ?

I don’t remember in what orientation two washers and the metal spacer go on the back side of the shaft. Is it washer, spacer, washer, then the back cover? There’s of course no exploded view in the manual ?‍♂️.
Springs facing towards the rotor
Oposide side of what you showed in pic 1

So on either end of the spacer with the springs facing the motor (pictured) or together?

Attachments

• B0940342-E90C-4EBD-A0D1-FFA44DBCD374.jpeg
    B0940342-E90C-4EBD-A0D1-FFA44DBCD374.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 36
Great, might as well post a pic to close this thread out! Thx bro

Attachments

• 1C1EE113-A5F2-4079-BE1B-E20F7743D8BF.jpeg
    1C1EE113-A5F2-4079-BE1B-E20F7743D8BF.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 49
Well folks, it’s not the bearings... still doing the same thing as in the video. At least I know how to replace the motor bearings now...not all is wasted! lol...

BLX185 going back for warranty! Good thing I didn’t drill out the back side of the motor. Can’t believe smacking a curb at not even 5mph side ways would cause this damage... so odd to me. Whatevs... ‘Miller Time’!

? folks!

edit:

Found the problem!!! While I was disconnecting the motor to get it ready to be sent back, the damn bullet connector came right off one of the 3 motor connectors... It was a bad connection the entire time! Carry one folks, nothing to see here lol...

? ? ?

every damn emoji possible,...

happy Saturday

Attachments

• 623E0331-C457-4566-BB06-F3D51B3F9DE2.jpeg
    623E0331-C457-4566-BB06-F3D51B3F9DE2.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Well folks, it’s not the bearings... still doing the same thing as in the video. At least I know how to replace the motor bearings now...not all is wasted! lol...

BLX185 going back for warranty! Good thing I didn’t drill out the back side of the motor. Can’t believe smacking a curb at not even 5mph side ways would cause this damage... so odd to me. Whatevs... ‘Miller Time’!

? folks!

edit:

Found the problem!!! While I was disconnecting the motor to get it ready to be sent back, the damn bullet connector came right off one of the 3 motor connectors... It was a bad connection the entire time! Carry one folks, nothing to see here lol...

? ? ?

every damn emoji possible,...

happy Saturday
After watching your video, surprised noone said to check that first. I usually put a long piece of heat shrink over min that captures both sides, then I ziptie the bundle of 3 together.

On my outcast though, I just put a ziptie on the bundle of 3 on both connector ends with a 3rd smaller ziptie parallel wrapped under those zipties to kind of lock them to each other.

Hard to see, but only photo I have that shows it.
2019-0426-Outcast-HWHeatSink-ESCSideHigh.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back