Bad motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skippy52

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Well guys I received my 12t brushed motor from Arrma Monday, I was running it around last night in my backyard and the thing started making a grinding noise so I took it apart and I thought maybe the pinion gear came loose. Got to checking and found the front bearing on the motor is egg shaped and the shaft has allot of play. Guess I will be calling them again Monday for another replacement. I'm going to order a Traxxas Titan motor and try that and try and get rid of this piece of junk. I hope the spur gear isn't damaged, it doesn't look like it is but it wasn't making contact with the pinion when I got the motor assy out.

Brushed motors usually only have bushings for the shaft of the motor so they can wear fast and cause it to get egg shaped. But in your case it happened all to soon unless it was that way out the box. The fixed holes in the motor mount to me is not only a problem for the BLX models but could also be for the brushed ones as well. The gear mesh can be to tight with the fixed hole mounts causing all sorts of problems like premature failure of the motors. Whatever motor you get check the gear mesh if it's tight open the holes up some with a slightly bigger drill bit or a rotary tool. There is also a ARA310899 adjustable mount you can get which I believe you should look into. It will not only let you set your own mesh but the motor plate itself can act as a heatsink for the motor. Getting a heatsink for the motor wouldn't be a bad idea also.

Brushed motors usually only have bushings for the shaft of the motor so they can wear fast and cause it to get egg shaped. But in your case it happened all to soon unless it was that way out the box. The fixed holes in the motor mount to me is not only a problem for the BLX models but could also be for the brushed ones as well. The gear mesh can be to tight with the fixed hole mounts causing all sorts of problems like premature failure of the motors. Whatever motor you get check the gear mesh if it's tight open the holes up some with a slightly bigger drill bit or a rotary tool. There is also a ARA310899 adjustable mount you can get which I believe you should look into. It will not only let you set your own mesh but the motor plate itself can act as a heatsink for the motor. Getting a heatsink for the motor wouldn't be a bad idea also.
Do you know of a cheap but reliable brushless combo that I could get?? Something with more low end torque but also one that could handle a 17t pinion. I'm running a 14 that it came with, I put the 17 in and tried it right after I got it but didn't really notice any difference except loss of quick takeoff so I immediately took it out. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Do you know of a cheap but reliable brushless combo that I could get?? Something with more low end torque but also one that could handle a 17t pinion. I'm running a 14 that it came with, I put the 17 in and tried it right after I got it but didn't really notice any difference except loss of quick takeoff so I immediately took it out. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Cheap but reliable really don't go together. Cheap is a crapshoot. Cheap also depends on your max budget definition.

Get a name brand esc like a Hobbywing esc and just pick a cheap Goolrc, Surpass, Racerstar 3650 to 3660 size motor. The Surpass, Goolrc and the like budget escs are hit and miss for reliability but the motors for the most part will be good for most and still be better than just about any brushed motor. Also depends on what your looking for as speed close to stock or more.

Just don't get a F540 motor they are finned 540 motor cans with small 380 brushed size rotors inside while better than brushed they don't have a lot of torque suited more for 1/10 2wd RCs and smaller.

If your in the US I can give you some links for suggestions. Also need to know how much are you willing to spend.

Cheap but reliable really don't go together. Cheap is a crapshoot. Cheap also depends on your max budget definition.

Get a name brand esc like a Hobbywing esc and just pick a cheap Goolrc, Surpass, Racerstar 3650 to 3660 size motor. The Surpass, Goolrc and the like budget escs are hit and miss for reliability but the motors for the most part will be good for most and still be better than just about any brushed motor. Also depends on what your looking for as speed close to stock or more.

Just don't get a F540 motor they are finned 540 motor cans with small 380 brushed size rotors inside while better than brushed they don't have a lot of torque suited more for 1/10 2wd RCs and smaller.

If your in the US I can give you some links for suggestions. Also need to know how much are you willing to spend.
I'm in Missouri. I would like to get it to run like the 3s blx version. I can't afford to pay out another 300 at this time though so I thought about getting a Traxxas Titan 12t to get me by and also replacing parts as I can. I know I'll have to get gears and bearings also. Can I give you my number some how and that would make it easier for me to get get info and you could explain things to me.

I'm in Missouri. I would like to get it to run like the 3s blx version. I can't afford to pay out another 300 at this time though so I thought about getting a Traxxas Titan 12t to get me by and also replacing parts as I can. I know I'll have to get gears and bearings also. Can I give you my number some how and that would make it easier for me to get get info and you could explain things to me.

Get to know Jennys RC a kit breaker that disassembles RTRs and sells the parts at a discounted price.

Heres a link from Jennys for the Titan https://jennysrc.com/products/fiest...y-traxxas-74054-6?_pos=5&_sid=3b0bf5f81&_ss=r

Cheapest since you want it to run like the BLX version than is to get the BLX100 esc and motor from a place like Jennys RC.

I added up some parts in a cart gears and all parts currently in stock to be about $156 shipping included and all to get you to BLX spec minus the adjustable turnbuckles.

If you want to talk to me directly you can click on my avatar to start a conversation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back