Notorious Bad Power Switch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wmorgan

When in doubt...bash it!
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Typhon 6s
The power switch went out on my Noto. Took it apart and tiny pieces are broken. Any replacement solution for just the power switch or do you have to get a new ESC if you want to replace with Arrma switch??

Pretty sure you can replace it with a Hobbywing esc switch https://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-Assoc...4&hash=item3b161e5f32:g:pukAAOSwleNbV15T#rwid with program button. You could just use a regular on/off switch just lose the programming button. Wire the positive negative and leave the signal wire disconnected. Or you could go the wire positive to negative together and have it on all the time a battery is connected.

Pretty sure you can replace it with a Hobbywing esc switch https://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-Assoc...4&hash=item3b161e5f32:g:pukAAOSwleNbV15T#rwid with program button. You could just use a regular on/off switch just lose the programming button. Wire the positive negative and leave the signal wire disconnected. Or you could go the wire positive to negative together and have it on all the time a battery is connected.

I reckon I didn't consider we'd lose the ability to "tune" the esc if we just jumped the switch and eliminated it.

The power switch went out on my Noto. Took it apart and tiny pieces are broken. Any replacement solution for just the power switch or do you have to get a new ESC if you want to replace with Arrma switch??
I had a spare burnt out BLX 185 esc and spliced a switch from that to the working one. Maybe someone else on the forum has a spare crapped out one, and could gift it to you so you could do the same. You just need to make sure you get the whole esc so you can mark the three wires and splice it correctly, as they are not color coded like the wires from the servo or esc to receiver.

I ordered the TA switch on Amazon. I have a spare ESC i got from JRC that i may use and then splice the switch at my leasure ?. Odd Arrma doesn't sell the switch like TA does.

Update:
Ordered TA switch but I had a little concern with compatibility as the TA appears to only have 2 wires while the BLX has 3.

So I called Horizon and explained what happened in hopes that they might sell a replacement switch for BLX.
Horizon said they'll send a replacement BLX 185 ESC and i should have it by Wednesday this week!...??!?!?
Hats off to Horizon for going above and beyond. I just wanted a switch and they replaced entire ESC.

I asked about the switch not being a separate component and he said they're looking into doing that as it's been a manufacturing issue on occasion, but often enough to provide customers with a switch replacement instead of a new ESC.

I have absolutely no concerns with Arrma or Horizon product support.

Update:
Ordered TA switch but I had a little concern with compatibility as the TA appears to only have 2 wires while the BLX has 3.

So I called Horizon and explained what happened in hopes that they might sell a replacement switch for BLX.
Horizon said they'll send a replacement BLX 185 ESC and i should have it by Wednesday this week!...??!?!?
Hats off to Horizon for going above and beyond. I just wanted a switch and they replaced entire ESC.

I asked about the switch not being a separate component and he said they're looking into doing that as it's been a manufacturing issue on occasion, but often enough to provide customers with a switch replacement instead of a new ESC.

I have absolutely no concerns with Arrma or Horizon product support.

The Associated ASC29184 does have three wires it does look like only two but it's three. You can still replace the switch and have a good spare esc but it's good Horizon is hooking you up with a new esc (y)

I think you can just hard wire it to stay on once you connect the batteries.
You cant do that because it is a multi wire switch that incorporates the "SET" button. It is not simply 2 leads you can tie together.
There are two options.
1. Call Horizon let them know. See if they will provide you a new ESC complete. As I don't believe they sell the switch separately. But they might have it.

2. Since the BLX185 is a rebranded Hobbywing ESC , Purchase the switch alone from Hobbywing. I have seen them , the same switch. It has to be soldered to the existing wires. It is obviously not a plugged harness.
Good luck.

Hello to all members. I got a Notorius 6s 2019 and want to replace the switch with a hobbywing electronic switch. I found a Hobbywing electronic switch for 1/8 cars i would like to know is it compatible? If it works what is the best way install cut the wires and connect the switch or open the esc?!! Does the esc open with safety? Thank u

You solder new switch wires to old esc wires. Should be 3 flat wires. keep the polarities of these flat leads the same. It should work. The BLX185 is just a re-branded OE HW esc. Soldering the old wires to new switch wires is the only way it is done. The ESC is potted. No access to the internals. It has been waterproofed and sealed. And the switch itself should not be opened. I never seen it done any other way.
I would call Horizon Hobby and ask them for a replacement switch for the BlX185. See what they say. I believe others have done that.
The Type "D" HW switch pictured looks more like the correct switch to me. Check with Horizon first.

Attachments

• HW Type D switch..jpg
    HW Type D switch..jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I had a spare burnt out BLX 185 esc and spliced a switch from that to the working one. Maybe someone else on the forum has a spare crapped out one, and could gift it to you so you could do the same. You just need to make sure you get the whole esc so you can mark the three wires and splice it correctly, as they are not color coded like the wires from the servo or esc to receiver.
Thank u ?

You solder new switch wires to old esc wires. Should be 3 flat wires. keep the polarities of these flat leads the same. It should work. The BLX185 is just a re-branded OE HW esc. Soldering the old wires to new switch wires is the only way it is done. The ESC is potted. No access to the internals. It has been waterproofed and sealed. And the switch itself should not be opened. I never seen it done any other way.
I would call Horizon Hobby and ask them for a replacement switch for the BlX185. See what they say. I believe others have done that.
The Type "D" HW switch pictured looks more like the correct switch to me. Check with Horizon first.
Good to know. The rubber part covering my switch on my outcast has been torn since the second week I got it. No idea how I did it, but it tore, so it's no longer waterproof.

Found that on ebay and amazon:
Part# HW664:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-HW664-Power-Switch-Type-D-SWITCH-/262986936008
https://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-HW664-Power-Switch-SWITCH/dp/B077F5QHYS

Was looking for the switch my my max10 sct has that doesn't have the rubber cover and is waterproof, but it's $34!
Part# 30850005
https://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-30850005-Electronic-Power-Switch/dp/B076DSNZJX

Regarding this switch, the only issue is the Arrma esc has only black wires, so when making the connection, be sure to test before you solder.

Could anyone tell me, whats the use of the two-way button in labeled "A" and "B"?
It's for the third channel?

And yes, i have also an On-Off switch failure!

Back