Bad servo on outcast notorious

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themachine

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
My steering servo went bad on my notorious truck on the 1st run. They sent me a replacement but this appears bad also? Any advice what else it could be? I called and was told its very doubtful its the servo again but this 2nd servo hasnt been used at all. I really don't want to pay to send in a truck i just bought and used once. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

You aren’t going to want to hear this but the stock servos are pretty crappy. Even if you got a good, the life expectancy isn’t great. An upgraded servo is a worthy investment. I use the Savox SW1210SG. Great servo.

Disconnect the servo and make sure the steering assembly turns freely.

Just had this same thing happen on my Kraton. Second run. Checked the steering and it is not tight or binding at all. I contacted Arrma/Horizon and they are sending a replacement servo.
I ordered a Savox in the meantime. Make sure you set your end points properly so you don't strain the servo.

Your second vid - are you showing that your can somewhat easily stop the servo from turning? That sounds like a BEC issue rather than a servo problem. Any chance you have one of those 4-AA battery holders you can wire up as a temp RX battery to check the BEC function?

Yeah, they are both broken. That's what the one in my outcast did out of the box. Save yourself a headache and get a different one. Send that in for an additional replacement then try the new new one to see if it works and keep it as a backup.

Thanks guys, so the the 2nd servo they sent me was bad the monent i hooked it up. Installed the 3rd servo that just arrived and that worked fine...for about 2 minutes...then out it went.

Im thinking about sending the truck or maybe just buying a better servo? I have a video showing the vehicle turning freely when not connect to the servo so there is no issue with that.

On side not ive found two screws rounded out on the truck..thats really annoys me they wound send it like that.

Out again

That first video of you turning the tires by hand - is the servo hooked up? I am guessing no, as I don't hear any servo noise. BUT - I do see the tires deforming under the effort to turn them - there is something binding! Without a servo connected, you should be able to move the tires with one finger, and a light touch. They should flop back and forth. The first thing I would check is the pillow balls. It is easy to get them a bit tight, then everything binds up. Check them, loosen them all till there is a bit of play, then go back one by one and tighten a tiny bit until you can just barely feel them dragging, then back off a 1/8 turn. When you are done, there should be almost no resistance in the pillow ball.

If the pillow balls are OK, then check all the ball joints (probably not them, but they are easy to check) and last, check the bell crank bearings (PITA, but they can bind).

That first video of you turning the tires by hand - is the servo hooked up? I am guessing no, as I don't hear any servo noise. BUT - I do see the tires deforming under the effort to turn them - there is something binding! Without a servo connected, you should be able to move the tires with one finger, and a light touch. They should flop back and forth. The first thing I would check is the pillow balls. It is easy to get them a bit tight, then everything binds up. Check them, loosen them all till there is a bit of play, then go back one by one and tighten a tiny bit until you can just barely feel them dragging, then back off a 1/8 turn. When you are done, there should be almost no resistance in the pillow ball.

If the pillow balls are OK, then check all the ball joints (probably not them, but they are easy to check) and last, check the bell crank bearings (PITA, but they can bind).

I was thinking the same thing after watching the first video. I was like, “That’s moving freely??? Doesn’t look that way to me.”

Thanks for your help guys. These were tight
..loosened up a bit and now the wheelse turn effortlessly. Now just need to buy another servo lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180924-190414_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180924-190414_Gallery.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 45
Also, are the splines on the servo horn ok? I’ve had a similar situation where the splines were stripped and it made the same noise.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back