6S-8S XLWB & LWB Big Buggies made from Typhon, Kraton, Talion and Mojave Bits 'n Pieces

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Testing and Bashing Body. Velcro on the sides, relocated the front body pin more forward.
Much more easily accommodates a 8000mAh 6S Lipo and theres room for a center roll bar that protects it and the wire harness.
I have rear extension bars for the back of the body but not sure i'll use them if this works out.
Likely start shopping for a custom body but want the open wheels.

IMG_3017.jpeg

IMG_3022.jpeg

IMG_3021.jpeg

IMG_3024.jpeg

IMG_3025.jpeg

IMG_3026.jpeg

Last edited:
F'in Beast! All I have to say.

The XLWB Chassis is Awesome!! Much higher throttle with 1M in the center Dif.
Much easier keeping the front wheels on the ground.
Im running Typhon 6S gear rations with a 18t pinion - so its getting HOT but not cutting out.

Doing just over 60mph on pavement with the Coppehead2's (those poor tires)

I have some Kraton BLX Difs coming for Bad Wolf. I want those Typhon 6S Difs for another build im doing.

And it needs a bigger motor.

Took it out for some pre-tune road bashing, I mean testing. I have zero patients.

Tried the Durango 2.8 MT Belted and was hitting around 70mph on my short block. No room.
Went onto a wider, longer but busier road.
Not sure how accurate the GPS is but it is close to my potential.

Tires balloon some but not so bad.

Motor and ESC got HOT and its cool out today.

IMG_3072.jpeg

IMG_3070.jpeg

Arrma Bad Wolf 6S XLWB Test Runs with Bandito 2.8 Tires/Rims (135 X 70mm)

Arrma Bad Wolf 6S XLWB Test Runs with Copperhead2 MT 3.8 Tires/Rims (169 X 97mm)

Last edited:
Test Run no3 didnt go so well for Bad Wolf. Lost a dog bone and dif outdrive.

But apparently Bad Wolf was about to give birth and shed a shell.

Bad Wolf moved up to a XLWB chassis and we present Good Dalek sporting a LWB Chassis and Talion towers.

I NEED a Motor and ESC for one of them now....

IMG_3219.jpeg

IMG_3221.jpeg

IMG_3224.jpeg

IMG_3222.jpeg

IMG_3223.jpeg

IMG_3184.jpeg

Did a trial run, nothing is lock-tight or finished yet.

Weighs in at 14.0 lbs. with a 8000mAh 6S Lipo.
Much of these trucks weight come from the body and rigging for it. This Big Buggy has none and a very light body. Velcro! Very light and strong, developed for NASA in the 60's. Great stuff. ;)
That center brace acts as a great roll-bar and tunnel for the wires. Smart Arrma, and the Buggy Body sits on it snug.

So, the DIfs I had were setup for something different and I was checking notes and this is how they ended up. :unsure:

F/ Kraton BLX Open Dif (200cst) (43t/10t)
C/ Typhon BLX Open Dif (1Mcst) (50t Spur) *FIRMA 4074 2050KV with 18t
R/ Kraton BLX Open Dif (500cst) (43t/10t)

Wheels were hopping some on turns over grass and pavement, especially under throttle, like the difs were locking up.
I believe the 500cst should have ended up in the front with the 200cst in the back... But im thinking of lowering them allot.
The center at 1million i can leave for now.

Temps were okay. not higher than 145, I can see on both the motor and ESC.
The Lipo got warmer than every before but still not hot but definitely much warmer than I've every felt. 100C.

On breaking, especially when moving quickly, there's a bit of a metal crunch sound (with 50% breaking set). Spur and Pinion look fine.

It was reaching 60 MPH over a park field, can get to full throttle but I run out of space. Its staying level and on the ground, front lifting with tires ballooning some but not allot. Throttle blips can send it into back-flips fairly easily but the XLWB Chassis is rather great.

These DIFs sound so much different than Typhon DIfs. I miss that sound.

So this needs a better motor. I was going to just get a stock ESC and Motor for it or for the other 6S Buggy but....
This is getting Great reviews.
EZRUN MAX8 G2 Combo with 2250KV sensored brushless. But its more than twice the price even on sale.

Suggestions?

Typhon Shock Towers.

F/ KRATON 6S EXB Shocks, 117mm, 16x54mm
85mm 1.09N/mm (6.2lb/in)(2pcs)

R/ KRATON 6S EXB Shocks, 133mm, 16x62mm
95mm 0.87N/mm (5.0lb/in)

This new Big Buggy was running so good today while I was pretending to work.
11.5 lbs with Mohave EXB Chassis and braces, Kraton EXB Arms and Suspension and Copperhead2MT tires - without battery.

I got these Difs back in order last night. PITA
Front/ Kraton BLX Open Dif (500) (43t/10t)
Center/ Typhon BLX Open Dif (1M) (50t Spur) *FIRMA 4074 2050KV with 18t
Rear/ Kraton BLX Open Dif (200) (43t/10t).

All issues resolved with this setup. Its very grippy! Steering is nice and firm, controlled and predictable.
Great Traction! Very well distributed, like a Monster-WRX ;-)
Stance and clearance is good, little lower than a Kraton and nimble like a buggy.

Its really Quick and Planted. People in the park were like; OMG that thing is nutty fast :ROFLMAO:

This spring rate is working very well.
Front 6.2lb/in
Rear 5.0lb/in
Stock EXB shock piston and oil setup. Im in no rush to change it. Its working. Go Figure?

It was running Very Quickly Across a rough park field! Was seeing upper 60's mph. Gripping and chewing the grass up!!
Im Sure I can break 75mph easily enough with a 20 to 23 pinion. Might need different tires. Going to try the Arrma Talion Belted tires next.
The Copperhead2 MTs are alright. Any faster and i think they wont be. But they are meaty tires and really grip what they're on. Id buy them again.

We were jumping over huge mounds of wood chip and all sorts fo obstacles.
I ran into the soccer net at like 50. Better then the Poll ;)

Time to go back through it and tighten everything down, some lock tight and adjustments and start ripping things up.

I figure I'll beat the Snot out of the stock motor and replace it with a slightly more powerful one in the Spring. Just for good measure.
The Kraton is a really Great Platform! And now id really like to buy a Mohave EXB. I bet its Excellent!

Next project is my new born. Good Dalek. Kraton EXB Chassis and Typhon parts.
I was shopping motors and ESC but just got a new 150a 2050 set from Jenny out of an infraction for $150! Again, im going to beat it up so let it be Firma first blood, on the cheap.

Typhon Crown Difs with a LDS center. And start off with an 18t.
I'll let you know how that works out. The boys are all coming out for Labor Day, there is bound to be carnage. 5 or 6 cars and some young kids - that just keep getting in the way! Not my fault.

Learned and figured out 80+% from this Forum Group alone!

Lots of searching and Reading. But first hand is most important. Breaking a few eggs? A few Dozen with 6S power but thats how you understand and improve while having fun and getting out some anxiety. Eat the Grass and chew on asphalt.

Great For the Brain.

FPV Drones are next. Just Say'in. DJI Avata from Santa.

Almost forgot the photo spread.
IMG_3219.jpeg

IMG_3226.jpeg

Last edited:
Weigh-ins...

"Good Dalek" is 5186g running (11.4 lbs) 6S
Stretched Typhon
with Talion towers and Typhon Body is weighing in at 4181g / 9.2lbs (no Battery)
IMG_3330.jpeg

IMG_3331.jpeg

"Bad Wolf" 7377g running (16.3 lbs) 6S
Stretched Kraton
with Typhon Towers and Typhon Body is weighing in at 6372g, 14 lbs. (no Battery)
(4558g, 9.8lbs without an ESC, Motor or Battery ESC, Motor and Harness is 1814g, 4 lbs.)
Those tires are heavy! 3.28lbs/quad 1.49kg Copperhead2 MT 3.8

IMG_3334.jpeg

Battery I use is 1005g, 2.2lbs!
IMG_3328.jpeg

NOT all Wolf's are Bad.
Daleks are NEVER Good.

Last edited:
Testing Day.

Nutty Solid; Sharp Handling and Fast.
Makes the Typhon 3S seem like a Toy.
This wants to hurt someone!

New Spectrum 150 ESC and FIRMA 4074 2050KV motor
Still needs some tuning, found a few issues to correct.
FlySky GT5 needs to be tuned. Im trying to use (2) BS6g receivers for both cars but it's odd.

The Battery is Heavy at 2.2lbs. Need to find a powerful, lighter one.
These gold compound tires are sticky but gets a bit squirrely (more so in the rear) towards full throttle. Center Dif is stock and used. It needs some Love .
Got a set of new LSD dif plates coming and need to learn more first hand about Arrma's LSD behavior.
The Stock Servo kind fo sucks, the way it mounts. I don't like it.

IMG_3341.jpeg

GDGT-50-20.jpg

Differentials:
F/ Typhon (80cst) (43t/13t)
C/ Kraton EXB LSD (*edit: rebuilt/200cst) (50t Spur / 20t pinion)
R/ Typhon (60cst) (43t/13t)

Talion EXB Shock Towers

Typhon Front Shock Body
70mm, 7.7 f-lb/in Springs
1x2x8 pistons
1000cst

Typhon Rear Shock Body
117mm, 16x54mm
85mm, 6.2lb/in Springs
1x2x8 pistons
800cst

I-Got-This.jpg

Last edited:
RAINED OUT! :-(

Rebuilt the LSD although it was in decent shape but raised cst to 200 with 6 plates. its rather stiff, we'll see how it behaves - if it ever stops raining.
I have a 20 pinion on it now and 23 pinion on the way i want to run on it, and some new tires. Want a consistent 90-100mph.

Potential on methodRC Terraform All-Terrain Belted 1/7 @ 139mm x 58mm

IMG_3382.jpeg

Potential on 107 Hoons:
IMG_3381.jpeg

IMG_3399.jpeg

September 2022 Update Edit2. 3 Buggy Garage
So by now myself along with random new reading enthusiast are thinking, How much is this all gonna cost - me?!?!
These are close estimates of Build Cost for 3 Arrma Custom Buggies. On a Budget and for the fun of wrenching and learning.
Including Batteries, Accessories, Tools and many spare parts on-hand for each Plus other stuff.
Includes some custom build parts and 9+ sets of tires (3 for each car)!
90% Arrma Spektrum Firma BLX and EXB parts.
approx. $4500 for these 3 project cars. which includes Two RTR's, Batteries, Accessories and Tools that are mostly associated to these 3 particular Arrma cars. And im being rather conservative.
Its actually less then I thought it was going to be and somewhat surprised at the close near final build cost of a 100% parts bought car Vs. one started with an RTR model. God Bless You JRC!! Shout out to ya, you make it reasonable.

North of $4000...and im Not Done yet!
* important note. This Includes MANY Extra Parts! Boxes of parts that can and will be used for repairs or alternative tunings.

6S Custom X-Stretched Kraton Buggy (aka Bad Wolf) with EXB parts (Parts Built 80% JRC) Body, Bumpers F/R, Skids, 35kg Servo, Active Cooling, Steering and suspension upgrades, pinions. FlyRC Gyro Radio. dBoots Copperhead2 MT Tires.
$975

6S Custom Stretched Typhon Buggy (aka God Dalek) 6S Typhon BLX RTR, New Body, Bumpers F/R, Skids, 35kg Servo, Active Cooling, Steering and suspension upgrades, pinions. FlyRC Gyro receiver shared transmitter. dBoots Katar Buggy Tires.
$950

3S Typhon BLX RTR. Upgraded components, Bumpers F/R, Skids, Servo, Steering and suspension upgrades, pinions. Dumbo Gyro Radio. dBoots Katar Buggy Tires.
$650

Tires
9 Additional Sets of tires.
$650

Batteries, Chargers, Power Accessories .
(2) 6S 8000mAh 100C, (2) 3S 8000mAh 100C, (4) 2S 5500mAh 80C, (8) NiMH 2800mAh 1.2v AA-type
$635

Tools, Tuning Accessories, etc.
MIP tools, Scales, Cases, Electronics and Tuning.
$325

SayZOOM.jpg

Last edited:
Finally stopped Raining for a day!

Ran them both hard with some new tires.

Post here:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/mojave-off-road-speed-runner.55553/post-805106

Good Dalek is proving to be a better Road GT Buggy than a Grass Field runner.
I think its too light and cant carry large enough tires for Grass. Likely try Kraton Hex's or Mohave Arms.

Bad Wolf is crazy fast over grass. As the weather gets cooler, I'll raise pinion to as high as 23t. Will give a max top potential speed of 112mph so Maybe I can get around 90 or so without melting the ESC.

IMG_3441.jpeg

IMG_3437.jpeg

So Ive been looking for options to widen the Stretch Typhon some, specifically for Larger Truck or short corse tires. They don't fit well on the narrower arms of the Typhon.

I tried the Kraton Hub/Hexes on the stock Typhon SWB chassis and it was nice. I can do them again, best price at JRC is $75.

Id consider Mohave A-Arms which use the same Typhon Hubs and Hexes, I have some of the needed parts already and the rest can be had at JRC for $74.

BUT I like the wheelbase of the LWB chassis on the Typhon with street tires like Hoons or Foams. Its ratio is better. Which is not good for a Truck/Truggy.

So I think Extending the Hex Hubs can be a option that can easily and quickly be swapped out for the stock ones.

I bought these T6 ALUMINUM 17mm Hex Hubs 15mm Offset Arrma Kraton 6s from EBay :-/
I don't like the way they fit.

s-l1600-5.jpg

I just bought 4 of these Aluminum Alloy 17mm Widen Wheel Hex Hub Drive Adaptor for ARRMA 1/8 Typhon Talion Kraton Senton 6S for $35 on Amazon. They have the pin holes for both the Typhon and Kraton hubs so can be used on either.
The M2C's are Twice the price complete and can only be used on the Typhon/Mohave hubs.
These look nice, thought out. We'll see.

61qbuwc+hLL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Typhon 6S with Kraton A-Arms and Hubs, running DBoots COPPERHEAD 2's
BIG Tire! Wheel Width: 3.8" (97mm) | overall diameter: 6.5" (169mm) | Wheel hex: 17mm, 3.28lbs/quad (1.49kg)
not running yet, waiting for some more parts. soon.
Its a bit too wide for its length in my opinion. we'll see how it runs. Likely do a long wheelbase chassis next.

View attachment 230454
Great work and info Fish. (y)

Seriously, man. Mad props. There is so much real world, useful info in this build thread it’s crazy. Plus, your builds are right inside my Typhon wheelhouse. Thanks very much for one of the best (the best?) build logs with the best chronology I’ve ever seen. Well done, sir.

Tires.

So What im learning, and Please correct me if im wrong, because im 1/2 Monkey (its in my genes), about Tires is that there's Allot to learn and they are likely the Most Important Part of your RIg. They Completly and Entirely Change the vehicle. Like its a completely different car/truck, whatever (I don't want to be Politicly Incorrect towards vehicles and what they identify as, that would self-centered of me :rolleyes: )
Tires!

These method RC tires @138mm diam (note: 0 offset) are not good on the grass. No bite, lower traction on turns and reduced speed. Motor temps were lower but it wasn't working much except spinning its wheels. I'' try again when the grass is cut short and dry, likely better but...
On the pavement they are nice, best Belted tires Ive tried yet. The damn GPS went dead 5 min after I went out, so next time but its Way Better on pavement than the Cooperhead2's which can be kind of scary.

Stretched Kraton Buggy likes them on pavement while the stretched Typhon didn't so much. They are too big and grippy for that rig. its doesn't drift or oversteer and rolls over easily! Was getting annoying, not much fun. The Typhon A-Arms are too narrow for that size/type tire and in general Im finding. Buggy tires are fine, they spin up easily and aren't that tall. 107's are Perfect on that rigs ratio, its fun and fast, sharp and better planted to me.
The Stretched Kraton Buggy is wide and Long with its Mohave chassis. Still no drifting LOL but its not tipping or rolling over!
The two of them are so very different yet so much the same. Its so weird.

IMG_3463.jpeg

But look how they are wearing after maybe 3 packs. Bad Wolf is beating them up on pavement and thats what they're good for.
IMG_3464.jpeg

IMG_3466.jpeg

On the Stretched Kraton Buggy these Belted Duratrax just kind of suck on pavement. They balloon and do the Pizza-cutter thing too easily.
On Grass they are good and grip well but at that point, might as well just have the Stock Kraton Tires Cooperhead2 MT's. Its better with them, faster and they do the same Pizza-cutter thing. Id rather just use them.

On the Stretched Typhon they are fun on the grass. Not so much on pavement, not fast and unstable at speed. But on Grass they grip better than the buggy tires but they arent any faster. Fun though. I think they are just too heavy. Too much mass.

IMG_3469.jpeg

IMG_3468.jpeg

Last edited:
As unbelted tires go for the grass ( slippery terrain)...
The BF's are way better than the CH 2's. A superior Moto-X tread that always digs in. Th CP 2's are useless IMHO. Tried 2 sets of them years back. They are my shelf wheels now. Don't like them on any of my rigs. Makes the rig handle like a toy RC. A Clumsey feel with them.
And the BF LP's are even better than the 6s BF's IMHO. They balloon much less. Lower profile.
The Methods have a tighter Interweaved tread. Little bite. Best for pavement. They wear faster on pavement . But that is usually a sign of good traction nonetheless.
I run the Hoon 107's also on my TLRT, but they are too wide IMHO. Steering is much too twitchy at high speed. Gets out of control much easier. They look nice. Just not the best for me. If the Hoons were only narrower with a zero Offset wheel..... 107mm height is perfect.

Last edited:
As unbelted tires go for the grass ( slippery terrain)...
The BF's are way better than the CH 2's. A superior Moto-X tread that always digs in. Th CP 2's are useless IMHO. Tried 2 sets of them years back. They are my shelf wheels now. Don't like them on any of my rigs. Makes the rig handle like a toy RC. A Clumsey feel with them.
And the BF LP's are even better than the 6s BF's IMHO. They balloon much less. Lower profile.
The Methods have a tighter Interweaved tread. Little bite. Best for pavement. They wear faster on pavement . But that is usually a sign of good traction nonetheless.
I run the Hoon 107's also on my TLRT, but they are too wide IMHO. Steering is much too twitchy at high speed. Gets out of control much easier. They look nice. Just not the best for me. If the Hoons were only narrower with a zero Offset wheel..... 107mm height is perfect.
Thanks. Yeah, noticed the twitchiness of the Hoons, the Golds were worse than the Whites.
Not sure whats similar to them. The GRPs are just under 100mm, I tried the Hoon 100s and they are just so small.

so my short list should include the backflips then. Id imagine the Stock Talion Katars are much the same as the method RC's?

The CH2s are belted too as are the Duratrax but I don't see that being effective with them.

I wonder if these method RC street tires are good. 0 offset, 100mm diam. 45mm width.

https://methodrc.net/products/veloc...-tires-on-hive-17mm-hex-wheels-2pcs-not-glued

6s Kraton OE Copperhead 2's were never belted.:rolleyes: Maybe I overlooked something here???
I blew out many of the CH 2's, Never seen any belts in them.
I would blow them out real easy in first run. Years back I called HH to ask why they rip apart easily (just on 6s). I even added glue before running them. No different. HH just easily sent me a new pair several times. They are not worth using IMHO. What remains of them sit on my Tekno MT as shelf wheels.
The wheels themselves are nice looking, just the tires are garbage and appear thinner rubber compared to any of the BF's.
Did you somehow belt them yourself???:unsure:

Last edited:
6s Kraton OE Copperhead 2's were never belted.:rolleyes: Maybe I overlooked something here???
I blew out many of the CH 2's, Never seen any belts in them.
I would blow them out real easy in first run. Years back I called HH to ask why they rip apart easily (just on 6s). I even added glue before running them. No different. HH just easily sent me a new pair several times. They are not worth using IMHO. What remains of them sit on my Tekno MT as shelf wheels.
The wheels themselves are nice looking, just the tires are garbage and appear thinner rubber compared to any of the BF's.
Did you somehow belt them yourself???:unsure:
Yeah, you are right, Way too many tires on my mind. Was thinking of the Katar T for the Talion thats belted.

Ive been beating the CH2's and they are holding up so far. Had way more issues with the Duratrax flying off the rims till i glued them.

So Yeah, Cant stop buying stuff. THIS is what happens when im left unattended.

Ive read mostly positive reviews for these Dboots Fortress Tires and at 139mm X 42mm with Gun Metal Rims from the Mojave 6s EXB. Its gonna look so good. Sexy Tire! If, you know, tires can be sexy :rolleyes: ...damn, i need someone to attend me.
IMG-2113_1024x1024.jpg

I also picked up a set of Dboots Back-flip MTs. 172mm X 97mm, BIG Tire! From the Notorious 6S. Bad Wolf approves.

s-l1600tires2_1024x1024.jpg

Lastly I wanted to try a Limitless front tower and shocks on the Good Dalek Buggy at some point.
I choose Infraction Rear shocks for the Front of the Buggy to replace what im running now which is this:

Good Dalek Buggy Front Shocks
Front Shock Body 104mm, 16x 49 mm
Front Shock Spring, 70mm, 7.7 f-lb/in (1.4N/mm) Springs (heavier than stock)
1x2x8 pistons
1000cst

Good Dalek Buggy Rear Shocks
Rear Shock Body 117mm, 16x54mm
rear Shock Spring, 85mm, 6.2lb/in (1.1N/mm)Springs (heavier than stock)
1x2x8 pistons
800cst

Infraction Front Shocks
Front Shock Body 79mm, 16x36mm
Front Shock Spring, 35mm 27.0 lbf/in (4.7N/mm)
Eye to Eye measurement: 79mm
2000cst

(great tool: https://www.convertunits.com/from/N/mm/to/pound/inch)

DSC_1083_b062594b-0259-4d28-b2f8-60e9d7930834_1024x1024.jpg

DSC_1027_d52124c3-7752-40aa-938d-a45b6113a7a5_1024x1024.jpg

As reference:

Infraction FRONT SHOCKS
ALUMINUM SHOCK BODY 16x36mm
SHOCK SHAFT 4x43mm
SHOCK SPRINGS: 35mm 4.7N/mm (27lbf/in)
Eye to Eye measurement: 79mm (2000cSt Oil)

Infraction REAR SHOCKS
SHOCK SHAFT 4x43mm
SHOCK SPRINGS: 40mm 4.7N/mm (27lbf/in)
Eye to Eye measurement: 85mm

Limitless FRONT SHOCKS
SHOCK SHAFT 4x43mm
SHOCK SPRINGS: 35mm 6.6N/sq.m (38 f-lb/in)
Eye to Eye measurement: 79mm (2000cSt Oil)

Limitless REAR SHOCKS
SHOCK SHAFT 4x43mm
SHOCK SPRINGS: 35mm 4.7N/mm (27lbf/in)
Eye to Eye measurement: 85mm

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back