Baja Bug Rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pnutbutterpie

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon TLR
  5. Vendetta
Love the way this body fits the Big Rock. Finished photo first:
PXL_20220821_203314778.jpg

It needs a custom rear mount in order to line the wheel wells up nicely. For version one, I thought I would want to be able to access the upper shock screws without fiddling with the body mount-- that is, until I broke a rear bulkhead and realized making the bracket do double duty as body mount and bulkhead stiffener was a better idea. Also doesn't requite drilling through the bulkhead and weakening it. V1 and V2 pictured below.

PXL_20220708_043320206.jpg
PXL_20220820_173442122.RESTORED.jpg

I had to trim the front fenders to clear my big wheels and the back might rub at full compression, but the body is slapping the ground by the time that happens and it's just a tiny bit of interference, so I'm gonna roll the dice there.

PXL_20220717_211108658.jpg

Engine and trim/door jambs painted, window masks on. (Next time I think I'll skip painting the door jambs, I don't like the way it looks now that it's all finished.)

PXL_20220806_180024494.jpg

And the final product! Was going for a tacky retro color combo, pretty sure I accomplished that. I don't think the wheels match the look at all, but function trumps form on occasion. I think the body fits really well with the TBR bumper/wheelie bar, even though I'm not really impressed with those parts. Plus, you can't even buy them anymore! Plenty learned on my first body paint in about 15 years, next up I'm trying to fit a 67 Dodge Dart and a Dodge Power Wagon to my Noto6. Some one needs to prevent me from buying bodies. It's a problem.

PXL_20220820_172735188.jpg

PXL_20220820_172749381.MP.jpg

*Also featuring my newly rescued kitten Ricki Lake

View attachment 237938

It needs a custom rear mount in order to line the wheel wells up nicely. For version one, I thought I would want to be able to access the upper shock screws without fiddling with the body mount-- that is, until I broke a rear bulkhead and realized making the bracket do double duty as body mount and bulkhead stiffener was a better idea. Also doesn't requite drilling through the bulkhead and weakening it. V1 and V2 pictured below.

View attachment 237932View attachment 237937

I had to trim the front fenders to clear my big wheels and the back might rub at full compression, but the body is slapping the ground by the time that happens and it's just a tiny bit of interference, so I'm gonna roll the dice there.

View attachment 237933

Engine and trim/door jambs painted, window masks on. (Next time I think I'll skip painting the door jambs, I don't like the way it looks now that it's all finished.)

View attachment 237934

And the final product! Was going for a tacky retro color combo, pretty sure I accomplished that. I don't think the wheels match the look at all, but function trumps form on occasion. I think the body fits really well with the TBR bumper/wheelie bar, even though I'm not really impressed with those parts. Plus, you can't even buy them anymore! Plenty learned on my first body paint in about 15 years, next up I'm trying to fit a 67 Dodge Dart and a Dodge Power Wagon to my Noto6. Some one needs to prevent me from buying bodies. It's a problem.

View attachment 237935
View attachment 237936
Looks like pnutbutter 😍.

View attachment 237938

View attachment 237933

View attachment 237934

View attachment 237935
View attachment 237936
Very nice and I love the innovation with the shock tower mounts/braces.

Looks like Whiskers is still undecided about it, in that last photo. Do you know if that body is still available, and would you happen to have a link to it? Looks great.

Looks like Whiskers is still undecided about it, in that last photo. Do you know if that body is still available, and would you happen to have a link to it? Looks great.
Yeah I don't trust her with the controls yet. And thanks! Here's the Pro-Line link. I got it at my LHS when they had a 10% off bodies sale. Comes with a wing that I haven't decided if I want or not.

View attachment 237938

View attachment 237933

View attachment 237934

View attachment 237935
View attachment 237936
Rig of the month !
View attachment 237938

View attachment 237933

View attachment 237934

View attachment 237935
View attachment 237936
You perfect those body mounts make 50-100 the rest is history.

Fess up time!

Something went awry in my process, because after a few bashes (last one was especially fun) all the light blue is peeling off. I neglected to scuff the body first, but I cleaned it very thoroughly. I actually think it's the paint. The brown is holding up rather well and the brushed on oil paint on the engine is tough as nails. Wasn't specifically lexan/plastic paint, though it was quality Montana Gold spray paint so I thought it would be fine. I suspect it was also fairly old because I nabbed it from my special lady friend's studio and she couldn't remember what project it was even from.

I actually think it looks pretty awesome with the peeling paint, haha. The body is already cracking at all the places you'd think, but I honestly beat the f**k out of it today. This car continues to impress me. Can't decide if I should try to strip the rest of the blue and brown, or just lean into the junkyard madness and layer another color into the voids. Though when I put it that way, the choice seems obvious 🤪

PXL_20220824_223133074.MP.jpg

PXL_20220824_223156507.jpg

PXL_20220824_223214627.jpg

Fess up time!

Something went awry in my process, because after a few bashes (last one was especially fun) all the light blue is peeling off. I neglected to scuff the body first, but I cleaned it very thoroughly. I actually think it's the paint. The brown is holding up rather well and the brushed on oil paint on the engine is tough as nails. Wasn't specifically lexan/plastic paint, though it was quality Montana Gold spray paint so I thought it would be fine. I suspect it was also fairly old because I nabbed it from my special lady friend's studio and she couldn't remember what project it was even from.

I actually think it looks pretty awesome with the peeling paint, haha. The body is already cracking at all the places you'd think, but I honestly beat the f**k out of it today. This car continues to impress me. Can't decide if I should try to strip the rest of the blue and brown, or just lean into the junkyard madness and layer another color into the voids. Though when I put it that way, the choice seems obvious 🤪

View attachment 238699

View attachment 238700

View attachment 238703
Now get some more peanut butter color and spray a couple more coats on, should make it look retro.

Fess up time!

View attachment 238699

View attachment 238700

View attachment 238703

YES!
Give me More of that delicious RatBug theme!

343235587f4a150ed9847a0ca3536557.jpg

0a6f79be783abe2a1de64dbb3b916741.jpg

0-E400322-9-B1-A-4-D82-B447-7-EB0-E564-EFE7.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back