Typhon Ball bearings problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LionC

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
I've the Typhon 6s V4 for a while now (3 months), because of the Covid-19 I've only ran it 8 times. I use the stock gear and 4s battery, in off road conditions, without jumps and extreme driving. At the sixth ran all ball bearings in 4 wheels (external: AR610016 and internal: AR610018) had a problem with dust and dirt inside. So I disassembled the 4 wheels and took out the bearings and tried to clean them with silicone spray (WD-40). After a while I managed to clean them and they worked softly again without noise. At the eighth time, the same ball bearings had a problem again, and after 5 minutes the typhon stopped suddenly. I noticed that the motor was stuck for good and when I pressed the throttle or reverse, a continuous sound was heard from the motor. So I opened it, and I saw that the front ball bearing was completely damaged, it was full of dirt, and the rear bearing was in its final stages.

It is supposed to be a buggy off road, and in fact one of the best brands on the market, and with so little that I used it, the ball bearings were destroyed, both on the motor and on the wheels. And I don't know in what condition is the motor (after replacing the ball bearings).

Has anything like this happened to any of you?

Any idea of what can i do to protect the ball bearings from being damaged so quickly?

I don't know how so much dirt went into the motor. It was normally screwed without any problems. Is there a spur / pinion cover that closes the front of the motor and protects it from dirt?

Attachments

• 20200518_105157.jpg
    20200518_105157.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200518_131926.jpg
    20200518_131926.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 50
Jimsbearings or Fasteddy sell bearings with silicone seals. Same for the motor use ABEC5 or higher for motor. BOCA bearings and AVID are other alternatives.
You will need oil or good grease. WD40 only for cleaning but fairly bad at it.

On the motor, close the unused screw holes but dirt will go through the bearings as well. Don't use water at all or make sure you don't hit motor/esc/servo/receiver.

Motor rear bearing use the bread trick for removal.

Thanks for the quick replay. I m looking for jimsbearings or AVID.
I think arrma had to pay more attention to making better ones for such a car class and for this price.
Next month I m waiting to come the losi tenacity db pro fox, I hope it gets better ball bearings than arrma.

For the record I have the JLB 21101 cheetah 120A, I've run it over 50 times in off road conditions, and it has no problem. All I do for service is a simple cleaning to get out the dirt.

Same issue with my typhon. Metal shielded bearings are garbage. Just ordered the fast eddy set off amazon for like 25$

Same issue with my typhon. Metal shielded bearings are garbage. Just ordered the fast eddy set off amazon for like 25$
Fast Eddy set doesn't come with motor bearings tho, atleast for my Typhon 3s they didn't...I bought the motor bearings from Jim

Fast Eddy set doesn't come with motor bearings tho, atleast for my Typhon 3s they didn't...I bought the motor bearings from Jim
You are correct they do not. I had a set of trb rc hybrid ceramics leftover from my 3s that i threw in my 6s.

I've the Typhon 6s V4 for a while now (3 months), because of the Covid-19 I've only ran it 8 times. I use the stock gear and 4s battery, in off road conditions, without jumps and extreme driving. At the sixth ran all ball bearings in 4 wheels (external: AR610016 and internal: AR610018) had a problem with dust and dirt inside. So I disassembled the 4 wheels and took out the bearings and tried to clean them with silicone spray (WD-40). After a while I managed to clean them and they worked softly again without noise. At the eighth time, the same ball bearings had a problem again, and after 5 minutes the typhon stopped suddenly. I noticed that the motor was stuck for good and when I pressed the throttle or reverse, a continuous sound was heard from the motor. So I opened it, and I saw that the front ball bearing was completely damaged, it was full of dirt, and the rear bearing was in its final stages.

It is supposed to be a buggy off road, and in fact one of the best brands on the market, and with so little that I used it, the ball bearings were destroyed, both on the motor and on the wheels. And I don't know in what condition is the motor (after replacing the ball bearings).

Has anything like this happened to any of you?

Any idea of what can i do to protect the ball bearings from being damaged so quickly?

I don't know how so much dirt went into the motor. It was normally screwed without any problems. Is there a spur / pinion cover that closes the front of the motor and protects it from dirt?
Yes, I have had the same probs. Almost the same time period as well. I am having to replace my second set already. I agree for a Basher that is supposed to be the best in the business this is very poor. I meticulously clean the car after every outing. I am amazed at how bad the dust sealing is around the diffs etc. I see it as basically the bearings are too small for the work they do. II am considering replacing them with good-quality bushes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back