Ball Hex Driver versus Regular Hex Driver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vetteman1000

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
I just bought MIP hex drivers. I didn’t realize some of them were ball hex drivers. What is everybody’s opinion on ball hex versus regular hex for 2.0 2.5 3.0 are ball hex. 1.5 only comes regular. Should I switch over to all regular before opening the package or keep the ball drivers?

Ball drivers can’t handle the same torque that a normal driver can handle. I never use ball drivers as they snap the ball off quickly. Switch to regular drivers.

I find it necessary to have both. Ball hex come in really handy for running out longer (or even shorter) screws that you'd otherwise have to use an "L" shaped wrench to get to. Just don't use them to break loose or torque down...use the "L" wrench for that, then use the ball hex to keep you from having to awkwardly back out a 15mm screw with 1/8 turns. If you're just doing occasional maintenance, you can get by with only a regular set, but if you're regularly wrenching or building, get a set of each.

Never use ball type. Only use MIP standard straight drivers.

If you are needing to get an angle on a screw head, that is because you are being lazy and not removing the parts in the way. I have fully broke down and rebuilt 3s, 4s, and 6s rigs, multiple times. Never needed a ball driver.

I use straight for all of them and only use the ball end on the 2.5 and SOMETIMES the 2.0 when I'm lazy and don't want to remove another part to get perfect alignment on the hardware. But ball ends are bad in my opinion.

Never use ball type. Only use MIP standard straight drivers.

If you are needing to get an angle on a screw head, that is because you are being lazy and not removing the parts in the way. I have fully broke down and rebuilt 3s, 4s, and 6s rigs, multiple times. Never needed a ball driver.
Lazy? Or efficient with your time 🤷🏼‍♂️ I consider hardware an easily replaceble wear item. Maximize your laziness 💯 gotta squeeze in that run time before it gets dark too. Yeah definitely try to remove as little as possible.

Lazy? Or efficient with your time 🤷🏼‍♂️ I consider hardware an easily replaceble wear item. Maximize your laziness 💯 gotta squeeze in that run time before it gets dark too. Yeah definitely try to remove as little as possible.
I enjoy the wrenching and removing items/rebuilding. It is my therapy at night. Each part removed gets a thorough cleaning and checked for any issues.

Well just having the MIP drivers and the driver bits for a cordless drill is already being super efficient with your time. Just think, some people are out there rebuilding the whole thing with allen keys. That's why I don't mind spending for tools, because it saves me time and damages fewer parts.

Yeah, I agree. I spent 15 years working on (real) cars every day. If I learned one thing, it was having the right, quality tools for the right job and knowing how to properly use them saves a massive amount of time. That rule applies to pretty much everything. If you're breaking quality ball hexes or prematurely rounding off screws, it's because you aren't using your tools properly. That said, do what you're comfortable with. If you feel more confident taking extra screws out to replace a part, there's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
Well just having the MIP drivers and the driver bits for a cordless drill is already being super efficient with your time. Just think, some people are out there rebuilding the whole thing with allen keys. That's why I don't mind spending for tools, because it saves me time and damages fewer parts.
Agree with the MIP bits for an electric screwdriver. I use one all the time. Just do the final tightening by hand. That and I'm right handed...but also have plates and screws holding my right ulna and radius bones together...so constant turning of a driver with my hand gets painful quick.

Agree with the MIP bits for an electric screwdriver. I use one all the time. Just do the final tightening by hand. That and I'm right handed...but also have plates and screws holding my right ulna and radius bones together...so constant turning of a driver with my hand gets painful quick.
I don’t even have any issues with my wrists or hands but after hand tightening for a while, my hand cramps and it’s absolutely terrible.

99% of the time regular hex tips, 1% of the time the ball tips can be handy for some weird inaccessible screw. Not necessary, but once in a while convenient.

99% of the time regular hex tips, 1% of the time the ball tips can be handy for some weird inaccessible screw. Not necessary, but once in a while convenient.
Yeah, just don’t tighten down a pinion gear set screw with a ball tip, I snapped one off while doing that…

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back