ball joint fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunepoet

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Hello;

This may be old hat for the experienced, but are their any tricks to getting a ball joint to twist onto a turnbuckle? Hot water? Something to stretch the nylon? etc. Your advice is highly regarded.

Blessings,
Damon †

Use a spare turnbuckle to thread it using a drill. You have to flip the turnbuckle for threaded ends as they are threaded in opposing directions. Hold the ball end in pliers, then use the drill to let you thread the turnbuckle in straight. Gives you more control and isn't as annoying.

Use a spare turnbuckle to thread it using a drill. You have to flip the turnbuckle for threaded ends as they are threaded in opposing directions. Hold the ball end in pliers, then use the drill to let you thread the turnbuckle in straight. Gives you more control and isn't as annoying.
A little lube on the thread helps from my understanding.

I use silicone spray with good results. It may not apply here threading into plastic but I had an experience once when I maintained a fleet of class 8 trucks where heavy lube (gear oil) on the threads of a new pinion with a new nut hydraulicly locked before the nut was even clear on the shaft using a 1350 ft.lb. air impact. Cleaned the pinion and nut with brake cleaner applied the proper thin lube (which I just didn't feel like going over and getting in the first place) and then spun it on by hand to the nylon ring and finished just fine with the impact.

Thanks... Ok, some sort of lubricant. The drill is a good idea but the turnbuckle is already connected on the wheel side, and I don't have a spare turnbuckle to experiment with. appreciated! †

Thanks... Ok, some sort of lubricant. The drill is a good idea but the turnbuckle is already connected on the wheel side, and I don't have a spare turnbuckle to experiment with. appreciated! †
If you are careful you can stick the rod end in the drill.

thanks, I will think about it but not sure I have the confidence to give that a shot, but I will have a look at the drill...

Well, you could chuck the turnbuckle in the drill and remove it from the rodend on the truck, then flip the turnbuckle, thread the rod end that hasn't been threaded yet, then thread the other end while still on the truck.

Got it done thanks (kind of relieved). Used some soap combined with excessive force. my palms have new creases in them.

blessings †

Did you pull the wheel of Or did you push on it to force the ball joint in?
holy-thread-resurrection-batman.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back