Ballooning easy fix for Badlands and trenchers tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mansour545

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fazon
Hi guys

It have been long since my last post and I have upgraded my Fazon a lot

Traxxas lock pins for all 4 CVDs and 2 Diff drives TRA5145
Hot racing CVDs NRO288V02 in front
Hot racing CVDs NRO200E02 in the back
Aluminum rockers NRO27M01 X 2 sets for all wheels
Leopard motor LBP4082/2Y 1600kv for higher torque since the Fazon is pretty heavy
Hot racing Pinion gear 26T mod1
Arrma steel spur Gear AR310729
EVO P2 brushless servo
T-bone Thrasher for nero platform 10039-TBR
Badlands MX38 3.8" tires x1 set
Proline slingshot 3.8 tires x1 set << for sand bashing
I have NOT regret any of these parts "yet"

For the Badlands tires I couldn't use them freely because of the ballooning issue so then I used the kevlar threads with little drops of super glue on the strapped threads like every 3cm that will to make the kevlar reinforced and strap them on the tire between the tire treads shown in the video is the comparison.

I really recommend doing it it will really make you get full advantage of the tires using all the surface. I tried them on hard terrain and sand and tgey are doing pretty great no cuts no loose straps at all.
I don't recommend doing that for speed runs on asphalt though it might not be efficient I don't know.

Let me know what you think?

Attachments

• IMG_8548.JPG
    IMG_8548.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_8511.JPG
    IMG_8511.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_8211.JPG
    IMG_8211.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Hi guys

Leopard motor LBP4082/2Y 1600kv for higher torque since the Fazon is pretty heavy
EVO P2 brushless servo

For the Badlands tires I couldn't use them freely because of the ballooning issue so then I used the kevlar threads with little drops of super glue on the strapped threads like every 3cm that will to make the kevlar reinforced and strap them on the tire between the tire treads shown in the video is the comparison.

I really recommend doing it it will really make you get full advantage of the tires using all the surface. I tried them on hard terrain and sand and tgey are doing pretty great no cuts no loose straps at all.
I don't recommend doing that for speed runs on asphalt though it might not be efficient I don't know.

What kind of Kevlar thread is that and where did you buy it ? I ordered some online but what I got was pretty low strength so I never tried. It sounds like a good idea that could even work with old tires I have given up on ,as long as the thread stays on the tires . Thanks

I ordered it from amazon
It is a kevlar tape that doesn't have a sticky side so you have to use epoxy or any kind of glue really
Because when the kevlar absorb it, it becomes so strong.
Fibre Glast KEVLAR Tape - 1" - 10 yd Roll https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015NM490Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_BGshXneJ1xjsK
I unweaved this tape and used its threads they are softer "not sharp" on the tires and will hold it down without leaving a mark or cut in deep.

I just put drops on the thread end to stick to itself and some more drops around to make sure it sticks even if the end came out the next glue drop will hold.

I ordered it from amazon
It is a kevlar tape that doesn't have a sticky side so you have to use epoxy or any kind of glue really
Because when the kevlar absorb it, it becomes so strong.
Fibre Glast KEVLAR Tape - 1" - 10 yd Roll https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015NM490Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_BGshXneJ1xjsK
I unweaved this tape and used its threads they are softer "not sharp" on the tires and will hold it down without leaving a mark or cut in deep.

I just put drops on the thread end to stick to itself and some more drops around to make sure it sticks even if the end came out the next glue drop will hold.

Thanks I will be trying that this week hopefully

Nice upgrades! Takes care of the ballooning very well. How are you liking the servo? I ordered one a while ago but it's still on the slow boat from China.

The servo is very good actually!!
I didn't expect it to be this well made
I viewed a couple of YouTube videos reviewing it and thought that it's sound is the worst thing about it but in fact its sound is pretty normal
Fast and strong BRUSHLESS servo for a 1/3 of the price of other makers like Savox!!
It took mine a while too to be delivered.. but it is worth it.

The servo is very good actually!!
I didn't expect it to be this well made
I viewed a couple of YouTube videos reviewing it and thought that it's sound is the worst thing about it but in fact its sound is pretty normal
Fast and strong BRUSHLESS servo for a 1/3 of the price of other makers like Savox!!
It took mine a while too to be delivered.. but it is worth it.
Good to hear. The specs on it looked good. I don't really care if it's noisy. Did you have to run a glitch buster with it?

Last edited:
Good to hear. The specs on it looked good. I don't really care if it's noisy. Did you have to run a glitch buster with it?

Nope I haven't..
It does however sometimes move one fast move like zeroing itself. Its unrecognizable and doesn't affect anything and that doesn't happen while driving.

Last edited:
How do you like the HR axles? Cold you maybe do like a mini review for them? I've been on the fence about buying them and was hoping to get some feedback before I order them.

How do you like the HR axles? Cold you maybe do like a mini review for them? I've been on the fence about buying them and was hoping to get some feedback before I order them.

Well.. okay.. aside from the great looks of them..

I have tried both models of them the good thing about them is that the screw pin doesn't have to be long like arrma stock ones and traxxas pins are shorter but stronger and much tougher. The best thing however is that the pins screw in metal threads and part not like arrma stock plastic pin holder wich is damaged and stripped easily. The HR CVDs are fully repairable with only some hardened steel pins 2x15mm or maybe 2x17mm. I know this because the model NRO288E02 isn't as flexible as the V02 and with hard bashing the heavy truck the pins broke in both CVDs both sides and after disassembling them I found some good pins left to be used in one CVD so I repaired it and ordered a bag of 20 pins same size for 5$ from China so I will be able to repair the other soon. Meanwhile I'm running 2x NRO288V02 in front 1xNRO288E02 and 1xstock in the back. Unlike the stock if you break it you have to order new ones.

About the lock pins I have been breaking them a lot on the stock CVDs because of the plastic holder doesn't seem to keep the pin held firmly but since then I didn't break any single pin yet. If you have the money I would say go for 2 packs "4 units in total" of NRO288V02 they are more flexible and much tougher if you are bashing hard. If you bash a little and you only go for wheelies and speed runs go for E02 they do handle the torque pretty great.

I hope I gave you a good thing here.

Last edited:
Phenomenal! Thanks for the feedback. I greatly appreciate your time and help. They sound like they'd be worth upgrading when the stock ones break.

Hi guys

EVO P2 brushless servo

Hi there I am doing a lot of Upgrading on my Kraton too and will shortly share a comprehensive summary in this forum when I am done. One thing I regularely do is Kevlarbelting of my tyres like you showed in the video. Only I do it from the inside and glue the tyres afterwards to the rims. However I tried to get unmounted MX38s and Proline will just not sell them unmounted, without explaination. I am so disappointed that I contacted the CEO. Lets see what comes out. With such expensive Tyres you should have the option to get them unmounted or even better belted from Proline directly!!! in the world of 6S + this should be standard if you ask me! What do you guys think. Thanks for the Video by the way. I love it and you see the convincing result that speaks for itself. I just would want to have that on the outside.

I am surprised they don't have unmounted MX38. That is kinda stopping me from buying them.

Hi there I am doing a lot of Upgrading on my Kraton too and will shortly share a comprehensive summary in this forum when I am done. One thing I regularely do is Kevlarbelting of my tyres like you showed in the video. Only I do it from the inside and glue the tyres afterwards to the rims. However I tried to get unmounted MX38s and Proline will just not sell them unmounted, without explaination. I am so disappointed that I contacted the CEO. Lets see what comes out. With such expensive Tyres you should have the option to get them unmounted or even better belted from Proline directly!!! in the world of 6S + this should be standard if you ask me! What do you guys think. Thanks for the Video by the way. I love it and you see the convincing result that speaks for itself. I just would want to have that on the outside.

hows the tires going? any signs of the kevlar cutting them yet ? exploded my stock kraton tires and looking to go to some proline trenchers

I've been belting my tires like this for about a year, except I use 80lb braided fishing line. Cheaper and last just as long. I still have my first set of belted tires.

This is a great tip. I have the kevlar thread and never thought of doing the outside. So after failing kevlar thread on the inside with glue I didnt feel like it was going to hold so i gave up on that idea. Best easiest solution I found was to Gorrilla tape the inside, that tape has got some stick.
After a few packs and a heavy sand and gravel bash it holds up great. On 100% throttle 6S the grow very slightly but hold really well.

Hi guys

EVO P2 brushless servo

That's mad crazy ballooning!! That would drive me nuts. Great idea using braided line !! You should grab a set of Backflips they balloon a little but not like a pizza Ha Ha !!! Cheers !

I'm Going to have to do this on the new DuraTrax 6 Packs I just bought. They are even wider than the Badlands, and are straight up dinner plates at half throttle. The car rides so high, and with that much rotational force, the front will lift off the ground way before I ever get to full throttle. I love the grip in the grass, the kraton will do a standing back flip with these tires. I hope the Braided Fishing line works, as well as it did in that video, for my tires.

Braided line vs. Zip ties to correct ballooning.

So as I said before, the Duratrax 6 packs are the worst ballooning tire I have seen yet. While it was fun running 60+MPH, on dinner plates, across the tightly mowed soccer fields, it was not the expected result. Since the tires are basically not usable on a 6S Kraton, and just barely usable on 4S I figured they would be a good test subjects to see what could be done to prevent ballooning. The tire came pre-glued so I did not try any interior “fixes”. The 2 options I tried were to wrapped the braided fishing line around the treads, and I also tried Zip ties.

Zip Ties – First I used 3 small zip ties, end to end, and laid them out in the section of the tire that had the straightest route through the tread. Then I ran out of zip Ties, so I wanted to get some thing that would go all the way around with only 1 zip tie, but they were way too wide. So I settle for some that would make it half way, so I only need to use 2 zip ties per wrap. But 8 zip ties per tire, sine I put them in 4 places across the tire.

Result – No ballooning. I held the Kraton off the ground and pulled the trigger. Wheels spin and the tires held their shape. One I put it on the ground I noticed the error in my ways. The bigger zip ties have bigger connectors, the “knuckle” that is made when on is connect to the other sticks out past the tread. So the rear of the car was just riding on those knuckles. I could have been trying to drive on buttered ice, for all the control I lost. I literally pulled the big zip ties off the rear after 2 passes. It worked in the grass, but if I can’t make a transition from grass to hard pack to street, at a decent speed, then it’s not what I want. HOWEVER!!!! The smaller zip ties held up great and because the knuckles are smaller, I did not lose the traction in the front tire like I did in the rear. It took 12 zip ties per tire, but they seem like a low cost, low maintenance method to eliminate ballooning, at least on these tires.

Braided fishing line- - - I found some 100lb Braided Fishing line on Amazon for $10.00 shipped for 500 meters, and bought it. Now please don’t think you can get actual 100 lb Braid for $10. My good 80 lb spectra was $65 for 300 yards, and I know it’s 80 lb line. The 100lb I bought is probably not going to keep 50 lb fish on for very long. If I were fishing I would not use this line ever, as I can’t trust braid that isn’t from a trusted brand. Anyhow, you could probably do the tire trick with 35 lb braid, and be fine. Still, I wasn’t going to use expensive fishing line for an RC CAR tire test. Anyway, I only did 3 wraps on each tire. Meaning I wrapped in around the center of the tire and the around the edge outside edge of the tire. I tied a quick slip knot and got it all seated in the tread, and then wrapped it around 5 times. I was just to keep just enough tension to make sure I was tight to the tire, but not re-shaping the tire. Then I used Gorilla Super Glue Gel, to hold down the end, and glue all the threads together. Then I glue the other side down as well. Once it had dried, I went around the tire and place a couple drops of glue I a few spots around each wrap of braid. I let it dry for several hours while I went to watch my daughter’s softball team whoop up on some out of town team. When I came home I mounted them up and did the hand held test again. NICE!!!! NO Ballooning. I dropped the car in the street and took off. This time I at least has as much traction as I should have had considering the tires. Off to the grass, Yep, all goood there. Then a small dirt, hill climb section was repeatedly run, up and down. All the braid stayed in place and the tires straight up dug holes in that hillside. And still no Balloons.

My final thoughts. Both zip ties and braided line work to prevent ballooning. The zip ties need to be small, and will take at least 3 zip ties to get around the tire 1 time. If you do 3 or 4 places across the tire it’s 12 zip ties per tire. And they don’t exactly enhance the look of the car. However, if you did break one or it came loose, it would be easy to have a few in the bag, and make a quick repair and bash on. The braid seems to be what I was looking for, It worked well, and is not overtly ugly and there was no loss of traction at all. The problem here is that it was a tedious process. But the final results are good . The Six Packs will be bashed.

I pulled the zip ties off the front and did those with the braided line, as well. Went to bash. Then lost one of the wrapps on the front tire because I did not let the glue dry enough. No time to re-glue or to clean the rubber before I glued, so I grabbed 3 little zip ties, made the fix and bash on. Came home and re-did the braid on the one I lost.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back