Bashing videos from 2020/08/22, outcast 6s full run and ERBEv2 at the grass bmx track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

Bash Break Repeat!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Outcast 6s
The last time out with my outcast, I shelled the rear diff. Wasn't sure what happened, but ended up being a shattered larger sun gear and both output shaft pins snapped into pieces. I fixed that up with spares I had from previous ring/pinion failures, replaced all the bearings and as I was putting it back together, one of the diff cap screws stripped the threads... luckily, I had a diff case/bulkhead still in the package and I tore it all down and replaced it. This also made it easier to check the ring gear shimming. I had thought I bought some 8mm shims for the input gear, but for the life of me, I couldn't find them. So, I put in as many ring gear shims as would fit, there's still a hair more backlash than I'd like, but it's as good as it's going to get. I ordered some 8mm shims to add later.

I also pulled the front diff to inspect it as I swore I heard it popping a couple sessions ago when stopping on concrete with the trenchers. After cleaning the grease off, the teeth on the ring/pinion looked fine still, so I double checked the arrma 2 piece diff screws (used red on them) and they were still good. When putting it back in, I was able to fit a 3rd shim on the ring gear side as well. Regreased with red-n-tacky and buttoned it back up.

I only ran one set of packs through it, but I was already getting stupid as I had run my ERBEv2 for 2 packs before it. So I stopped while I was ahead. Pulled a screw through on it's TBR wheelie bar, but no other damage!:

As for the ERBEv2, I increased my pinion by a tooth to 19/54 since last time when I ran the stock talon ext tires for the first time and replaced the busted max6 OEM 35mm fan with an aluminum framed 30mm fan. I was able to run 2 sets of packs through it and had no issues really. I did pull a screw through the front t-bone skid/bumper.

Was a good day, a bit warm, could of used a little more breeze, but coming home with both trucks still functional was a good day.

I did notice the front of the revo bottoming out overly hard. I'm using VDK #3 with 70wt and RC Raven dual rate springs... kind of afraid to go any heavier with the oil, then I'll just snap the pistons in half. I'm running some atomik front variable rockers that have different holes in them, using the holes closest to the end:
2020-0320-ERBEv2-RPMArms-AtomikFrontRockers-high.jpg

I thought perhaps moving the bolts for the pushrods to the middle hole, would decrease the leverage/increase pressure needed to compress, but then the nut runs into the RPM arm really bad. So, figured I'd try using the lower holes for the upper arm hinge pin. That gave me the needed clearance. Not sure what that will do to the handling... I think it changes the roll center. Guess I'll find out the next time out.

Also with the lower OD of the Talon EXT's, I moved both the front/rear pushrods to the inside hole on the arms to give me a little more extension/compression on landings. Will see if that helps as well.

The ends on the front pushrods were stretched all out of shape, but all I had on hand today while fixing the skid/adjusting the rods were the old revo ends that use the spacers on the pushrod.
2020-0823-ERBEv2-FrontPushrodWithSpacers.jpg

I also ordered a set of the 8619 HD pushrods/ends for the front. I put those on the rear a few bash sessions ago and they seem to be holding up better at the ball end in the rocker than the old ends. I had to order them directly from traxxas.com, couldn't find them on amazon/ebay. Hope they don't take too long to ship. Also bought a spare set of the ends for those to have on hand.

Jealous of the bash spot! I just swapped a motor into my 2.0. What are you running? I’m running a leopard heavy duty 4275 and an xo-1 MM2 on 17/46 gearing. It’s fast and hits 170 after a hard run on 6000mah lipos on a 100 degree day.

Jealous of the bash spot! I just swapped a motor into my 2.0. What are you running? I’m running a leopard heavy duty 4275 and an xo-1 MM2 on 17/46 gearing. It’s fast and hits 170 after a hard run on 6000mah lipos on a 100 degree day.
In the ERBEv2, I'm running a max6 and arrma blx2050kv 4074 with 19/54 in the video, changed it to 20/54 when I got home. Will see how it does with that the next time out. With 19/54, I ran 2 sets of packs through it back to back without issue. I do have a 30mm high velocity fan on the motor. I'm not sure how fast it is, but it's not as fast as my outcast with 14/50 gearing and backflips.

On the ERBEv2, I checked the temps near the end of the first set of packs and was 126/139 for esc/motor. Near the end of the second set I was 130/149 esc/motor.

On the outcast, I had 136/155 esc/motor around the 15 minute point. Was running a set of hobbystar 6200 3S packs in it and got around 20 minutes out of it.

In the ERBEv2, I'm running a max6 and arrma blx2050kv 4074 with 19/54 in the video, changed it to 20/54 when I got home. Will see how it does with that the next time out. With 19/54, I ran 2 sets of packs through it back to back without issue. I do have a 30mm high velocity fan on the motor. I'm not sure how fast it is, but it's not as fast as my outcast with 14/50 gearing and backflips.

On the ERBEv2, I checked the temps near the end of the first set of packs and was 126/139 for esc/motor. Near the end of the second set I was 130/149 esc/motor.

On the outcast, I had 136/155 esc/motor around the 15 minute point. Was running a set of hobbystar 6200 3S packs in it and got around 20 minutes out of it.
I think I’m a little overgeared lol.

I think I’m a little overgeared lol.
I try to avoid that. I don't care to mess with things other than a quick fix when out bashing. So I gear conservative, then go run it and monitor things, then increase/decrease gearing when I get home. I try my best to make small changes to things so I'm not stuck fighting with a truck when I'm out. I drive 45 minutes to the bmx track and walk over 1/8th a mile dragging my truck bag. I like to show up and know things are good to go whenever possible.

I used to bash with guys that would show up with busted stuff and it never made sense to me. I was usually at least on my second set of packs by the time they even started driving anything.

I try to avoid that. I don't care to mess with things other than a quick fix when out bashing. So I gear conservative, then go run it and monitor things, then increase/decrease gearing when I get home. I try my best to make small changes to things so I'm not stuck fighting with a truck when I'm out. I drive 45 minutes to the bmx track and walk over 1/8th a mile dragging my truck bag. I like to show up and know things are good to go whenever possible.

I used to bash with guys that would show up with busted stuff and it never made sense to me. I was usually at least on my second set of packs by the time they even started driving anything.
Yeah that’s a good outlook

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back