Kraton BashingBrian's Kraton EXB...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashingBrian

#ArrmaAddict #RCwhore
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast EXB
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Typhon 6s
I'm still waiting.....

giphy.gif

Guess what, the front diff was practically empty from the factory ? and the center was the same..

IMG_7696.jpeg

Bit disappointed as I got fake droop screws that you can't adjust unless you take the suspension off..

IMG_7687.jpeg

Look at the bolt below there is no hole in it for a hex driver, so you can't adjust it from above ? so I fitted some bolts from a packet of ARA480017 I had laying around, I know Arrma do these bolts on their own also..

IMG_7689.jpeg

Few spares and first upgrades M2C shock standoffs

IMG_7677.jpeg

Droop screws fitted so now all adjustable from above, along with rebuilt diff full of 60k, couldn't get any 50k..

IMG_7712.jpeg

Managed to get one 0.15mm shim on the crown side, diff feels nice and tight..???

IMG_7710.jpeg

Mobil XHP222 grease just in case you want to know, this stuff is sticky as... ?

IMG_7713.jpeg

Quick test fit of the servo ( in EXB colors ? ), can't wait to see how powerful this thing is on max voltage.
Haven't decided if I'm going to stick with the EXB mount or go with my original GKA one..?

IMG_7714.jpeg

Put a longer caphead bolt and flipped it the other way up, also added 2 washers on top of the servo saver just so I could get the whole thing level..
I like the look of the red of the EXB servo mount but the GKA one is much better I think..?

IMG_7715.jpeg

That's it for now.....

Guess what, the front diff was practically empty from the factory ? and the center was the same..

View attachment 96216

Bit disappointed as I got fake droop screws that you can't adjust unless you take the suspension off..

View attachment 96214

Look at the bolt below there is no hole in it for a hex driver, so you can't adjust it from above ? so I fitted some bolts from a packet of ARA480017 I had laying around, I know Arrma do these bolts on their own also..

View attachment 96215

Few spares and first upgrades M2C shock standoffs

View attachment 96213

Droop screws fitted so now all adjustable from above, along with rebuilt diff full of 60k, couldn't get any 50k..

View attachment 96218

Managed to get one 0.15mm shim on the crown side, diff feels nice and tight..???

View attachment 96217

Mobil XHP222 grease just in case you want to know, this stuff is sticky as... ?

View attachment 96219

Quick test fit of the servo ( in EXB colors ? ), can't wait to see how powerful this thing is on max voltage.
Haven't decided if I'm going to stick with the EXB mount or go with my original GKA one..?

View attachment 96220

Put a longer caphead bolt and flipped it the other way up, also added 2 washers on top of the servo saver just so I could get the whole thing level..
I like the look of the red of the EXB servo mount but the GKA one is much better I think..?

View attachment 96221

That's it for now.....
You can adjust the droop from below if you compress the shocks all the way. It gives you just enough clearance to get a driver in there.

You can adjust the droop from below if you compress the shocks all the way. It gives you just enough clearance to get a driver in there.
My way is much easier though..?

So onto the rear diff...
There has been a lot of talk about the rear EXB diffs, I've read all the posts on here and I've heard more theory's.
As I'm in the UK I can't get any LSD star plates ( that's what I'm calling them ) so I decided to come up with my own recipe for the rear diff, I can get shims in so many sizes it's crazy so that's what I'm going to do..!!
Lets begin..

Plenty of grease on the outside, there was practically no oil on the inside though just like the front ?
QC on this car is really bad in my opinion..?

IMG_7693.jpeg

I had a shimtastic time doing this..?
Top row is the LSD replacement shims, ( next row is hub axle and camber spacer, they are for later ) all sizes are in MM

IMG_7782.jpeg

Next are the shims to replace the Arrma ones ( ARA709060, ARA709059 ) as they are also out of stock in the UK ?

IMG_7613 2.jpeg

So this is my recipe, the following will explain everything you need to know..?
Firstly I measured everything individually and noted the best combination of sizes, I had ordered a selection of 10 of each size as I was just planning on experimenting but in hindsight I should have bought 20 of each ?
You'll see that my measurements come up .2 short, but I'll explain that in a minute.

IMG_7783.jpeg

Next I noted the stated size and the actual measured size..!!
Everyone told me, including Arrma you can only use two shims under the pin if you run the 3x LSD plates, well balls to that ?
I tried lots of different combinations of shims above and below the pin, also different combinations of the bigs shims.
In the end, I used one of each of the Arrma shims plus that 0.1 shim, they all happily went under the pin and everything turned smoothly.
So my final setup is everything you see in the picture below EXCEPT the LSD plates..!! this is of course on both sides of the diff.

IMG_7785.jpeg

Sorry I forgot to take a pic of it all laid so you'll just have to believe me that it's all there..?
The big shims support the sun gear really well, once I'd put it all together it was buttery smooth with no play in the drive cups whatsoever.
Best of all it's a totally open diff..???
I chose 20K this time as my other Kraton runs 30K and it doesn't turn in very well, you can see the stack of shims under the sun gear if you look ?

IMG_7786.jpeg

When I re-fitted the diff I squeezed 0.2 on the crown side and the diff is nice and tight and spins freely..
You can see in this pic the double headed droop screws AR727410 that I used too..

IMG_7787.jpeg

Finally just to finish up the rear diff housing, I always put a longer bolt with a nut on the lower tower mounting position as it stops the bolt pulling through the housing ( after a conversation one day, top tip provided by Mitch aka M2C )

IMG_7954.jpeg

Hope that all makes sense, good luck and enjoy your diff building..??

So that's it for now....

Where you bought the shims from? So you have put shims under the pin and under the sun gera without any slop??. I was able to put another 0.2mm shim on the lsd diffs but decided to remove them decided to trust arrma on that LSD design. But the issue is on the diff cup mine doesn't accept more than 0.7mm but when i used 4 0.2mm it had slop like if i had 0.7mm? the QC is so messed up on the arrma shims
I decidee to put the lsd diff from the front to the rear and a build v4 diff with mugen shims and kyosho shims should be bulletproof now but i did screw up the initial grub screw threads on the diff cup i play it doesn't burst open but it was quite tight before i filed the diff with oil
And you didnt have droop screws from factory i had in my version

Ordered a set of shims from a ~local bearings shop yesterday, I'll receive them today. 21.83€+10€ p&p. I'll test this solution first as it's totally open diff and if it fails I've got a center diff on the way.

(Edit: I fully expect this to work perfectly and would not order a center diff for LSD plates anymore. Unfortunately I ordered it before I was aware of this solution.)

order.png

Last edited:
So onto the rear diff...
There has been a lot of talk about the rear EXB diffs, I've read all the posts on here and I've heard more theory's.
As I'm in the UK I can't get any LSD star plates ( that's what I'm calling them ) so I decided to come up with my own recipe for the rear diff, I can get shims in so many sizes it's crazy so that's what I'm going to do..!!
Lets begin..

Plenty of grease on the outside, there was practically no oil on the inside though just like the front ?

View attachment 97707

Top row is the LSD replacement shims, ( next row is hub axle and camber spacer, they are for later ) all sizes are in MM

View attachment 97708

Next are the shims to replace the Arrma ones ( ARA709060, ARA709059 ) as they are also out of stock in the UK ?

View attachment 97717

Firstly I measured everything individually and noted the best combination of sizes, I had ordered a selection of 10 of each size as I was just planning on experimenting but in hindsight I should have bought 20 of each ?
You'll see that my measurements come up .2 short, but I'll explain that in a minute.

View attachment 97709

Everyone told me, including Arrma you can only use two shims under the pin if you run the 3x LSD plates, well balls to that ?
I tried lots of different combinations of shims above and below the pin, also different combinations of the bigs shims.
In the end, I used one of each of the Arrma shims plus that 0.1 shim, they all happily went under the pin and everything turned smoothly.
So my final setup is everything you see in the picture below EXCEPT the LSD plates..!! this is of course on both sides of the diff.

View attachment 97710

Sorry I forgot to take a pic of it all laid so you'll just have to believe me that it's all there..?
The big shims support the sun gear really well, once I'd put it all together it was buttery smooth with no play in the drive cups whatsoever.
I chose 20K this time as my other Kraton runs 30K and it doesn't turn in very well, you can see the stack of shims under the sun gear if you look ?

View attachment 97711

When I re-fitted the diff I squeezed 0.2 on the crown side and the diff is nice and tight and spins freely..
You can see in this pic the double headed droop screws AR727410 that I used too..

View attachment 97712

Finally just to finish up the rear diff housing, I always put a longer bolt with a nut on the lower tower mounting position as it stops the bolt pulling through the housing ( after a conversation one day, top tip provided by Mitch aka M2C )

View attachment 97715

So that's it for now....
Awesome job ?? this is how they should have been shimmed by OEM - on the OD, not ID

So onto the rear diff...
Lets begin..

View attachment 97707

View attachment 97708

View attachment 97717

View attachment 97709

View attachment 97710

View attachment 97711

View attachment 97712

View attachment 97715

So that's it for now....
great info thanks!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back