Basic RC Mistakes & How to Avoid Them

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Great video Amain.... as a beginner, he mentioned a lot of mistakes I made. Good beginner what-to-know video. I do mean those guys like me in Feb 2020 that never had a true hobby-grade RC, totally green. Appreciate all of you folks here. I have learned a ton going into my 3yr... doing stuff I was so scared to do (y)

Great video Amain.... as a beginner, he mentioned a lot of mistakes I made. Good beginner what-to-know video. I do mean those guys like me in Feb 2020 that never had a true hobby-grade RC, totally green. Appreciate all of you folks here. I have learned a ton going into my 3yr... doing stuff I was so scared to do (y)

Awesome video for those just getting into the hobby.even for some who have been in it ..wish I had a vid like this back in the day when I first started .it would have saved me a lot of time and money and most of all aggregation.simple things the vid mentions that all makes sense..good thread for those who need this important info..🤟😁👍 makes rc experience a joyfully one

That's a great video, thanks for the link!

I had to chuckle at the part about sealing both vent holes inside the rims. My truck arrived the other day, and today I finally got to try it. Before taking it out, I added vent holes to the tires, and sealed the vent hole in each rim. Then excitedly went out to try it, ending up playing in a field with wet grass.

Well, while going through the truck tonight, after removing the wheels, I noticed there were TWO vent holes in each rim. Dang it, I had left 1 hole in each rim uncovered, and they must have gotten some water flung in there. So now I have to hope that the 2 vent holes I made in each tire are enough to let that water back out again, and avoid damaging the foam.

If I had watched this video this morning, and really paid attention to his wording, I could have avoided my mistake.

I had to chuckle at the part about sealing both vent holes inside the rims. My truck arrived the other day, and today I finally got to try it. Before taking it out, I added vent holes to the tires, and sealed the vent hole in each rim. Then excitedly went out to try it, ending up playing in a field with wet grass.

Well, while going through the truck tonight, after removing the wheels, I noticed there were TWO vent holes in each rim. Dang it, I had left 1 hole in each rim uncovered, and they must have gotten some water flung in there. So now I have to hope that the 2 vent holes I made in each tire are enough to let that water back out again, and avoid damaging the foam.

If I had watched this video this morning, and really paid attention to his wording, I could have avoided my mistake.
Take a blow dryer on the lowest setting of heat and gently blow warm air into the back of the wheel.make sure to keep moving the blow dryer in circle motions and your water will dry out quick .just don't go close to the glue and stay away at least 8 to inches .you'll be fine .I've done this numerous times when I take my buggy's in wet surface and allways worked and the glue doesn't get ruined.🤟😁👍
Take a blow dryer on the lowest setting of heat and gently blow warm air into the back of the wheel.make sure to keep moving the blow dryer in circle motions and your water will dry out quick .just don't go close to the glue and stay away at least 8 to inches .you'll be fine .I've done this numerous times when I take my buggy's in wet surface and allways worked and the glue doesn't get ruined.🤟😁👍
Obviously if there is tons of water in the wheel then you would need to shake it out or drain it as much as you could then remove leftover residual water by the low setting hair dryer.

Just take it out for another run. Or even just run it when suspended in the air. The centrifugal force will expel most of the moisture out of the vent holes you added to the tires.

Last edited:
Just take it out for another run. Or even just run it in suspended in the air. The centrifugal force will expel most of the moisture out of the vent holes you added to the tires.
Thanks, I'm hoping to get it out for a run again today, and do some high-speed passes to try and eject any water. Hopefully this isn't a big deal, I just felt like an idiot. I wasn't worried in the wet field, knowing that I'd closed up the vent holes, so I was bummed when I later realized I'd missed half the holes :)

Thanks, I'm hoping to get it out for a run again today, and do some high-speed passes to try and eject any water. Hopefully this isn't a big deal, I just felt like an idiot. I wasn't worried in the wet field, knowing that I'd closed up the vent holes, so I was bummed when I later realized I'd missed half the holes :)
I wouldn't beat yourself up too much. The only thing better than not making a mistake is catching your own mistake.

It's not like these foams are made of paper either so sitting for a day wet will most likely not cause any lasting damage. If you left it for weeks it would probably be a different story.

Dang. I have a bunch of charged up batteries. Time to go run 4 6S batteries in my Fireteam. It’s cold but I get good run times. Even with my massive tires? I’ll just speed run it back and forth. And bash it too! I should have known this. 🤦🏻‍♂️

wet grass isn't too bad its the deep puddles I have found that ruin your inserts fast even if you cover your holes in the rim and vent your tyres

Thanks! There were no puddles, at least. And I zipped it around in a parking lot this afternoon, hopefully that helped fling some water out.

I wonder if you could use the tire vent holes to help dry them out. Imagine something like a basketball-inflator pin nozzle through one vent hole, slowly flowing air through the tire for an hour, something like that.

Thanks! There were no puddles, at least. And I zipped it around in a parking lot this afternoon, hopefully that helped fling some water out.

I wonder if you could use the tire vent holes to help dry them out. Imagine something like a basketball-inflator pin nozzle through one vent hole, slowly flowing air through the tire for an hour, something like that.
they will be fine if you ran them on wet grass only once brand new. just put some gorilla tape over holes in rim now and put two small holes in the tyres opposite each other

they will be fine if you ran them on wet grass only once brand new. just put some gorilla tape over holes in rim now and put two small holes in the tyres opposite each other

Great, thanks! I have 2 holes in the tires themselves. I'd put Scotch tape over the rim vent holes, I was thinking of using a small smear of RTV silicone to seal those holes more permanently. But I do have Gorilla tape (bought for reinforcing the body), I could use that instead, if that's better.

I use gorilla tape up to you really I forgot to say I ruff up the wheel a bit around the hole in the wheel before I put the tape on helps it stick a bit better (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back