Kraton Batteries 2 vs 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Boyce

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So I am new to this hobby very new. I've seen a lot of people using 2 batteries to make say 4s or 6s etc I wondered why not just buy the one battery to do the job. So I wonder what is the best thing to do buy one or two batteries. So if you have a 4s 5000mah 60c 14.8v Lipo battery vs two 2s 5000mah 30c 7.4v Lipo battery what is better please help. Also is there less weight with one or two batteries. Ha ha lots of questions please help

Two is slightly heavier all else equal but is a more flexible setup. For example, 2s 5000 packs could be used as 2s in a 1/10 scale or doubled up in series and used as 4s in an 1/8 scale. Two 2s might also be easier/faster to charge depending on your charger.

Using two also adds more resistance to the system due to the extra wiring and connectors which could be problematic for bleeding edge power systems. You would actually have to rewire your esc to avoid this because they set them up for two packs from the factory and give you a ‘loop’ to run with a single pack. So, in that case, the extra wiring and connector are there either way. This is normally not an issue for these vehicles but it is common to address this in more power hungry applications like boats and helis.

Also, do yourself a favor and get more than 5000mah. You should be able to fit 7000mah or even more if you get the right packs. Unless weight is a major concern, you won’t be sorry.

Nice one mate thanks for that. I was looking at 8000mah 4s 120c 90c constant hardcase from hobbystar they are 80$ US and £60 in the uk I've heard good things about them when I've looked on line

Forgot to say 14.8V

Two is slightly heavier all else equal but is a more flexible setup. For example, 2s 5000 packs could be used as 2s in a 1/10 scale or doubled up in series and used as 4s in an 1/8 scale. Two 2s might also be easier/faster to charge depending on your charger.

Using two also adds more resistance to the system due to the extra wiring and connectors which could be problematic for bleeding edge power systems. You would actually have to rewire your esc to avoid this because they set them up for two packs from the factory and give you a ‘loop’ to run with a single pack. So, in that case, the extra wiring and connector are there either way. This is normally not an issue for these vehicles but it is common to address this in more power hungry applications like boats and helis.

Also, do yourself a favor and get more than 5000mah. You should be able to fit 7000mah or even more if you get the right packs. Unless weight is a major concern, you won’t be sorry.
Which 7000 are you using?

also correct me if i am wrong if your wanting more run time 2x 2s 7600mah will be better than a 4s 7600mah

That is not correct, given you run the 2x2s in series as a 4s. The capacity would be identical in that case. You could also run 2x2s in parallel which would double your capacity but voltage would stay at 2s.

Which 7000 are you using?
I am running a smc 2s 7200 in a 1/10 scale but I don’t think they make that particular one anymore. It has been a great pack.

Another reason people run two is the setup of the truck like Nero, revo, savage, etc. I like to run one whenever possible as it is just easier and less bulky as previously mentioned

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back