Typhon Batteries lose half charge in just minutes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpjmjb

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hello guys, need a little help. Just bought a used Typhon that shows little use. Charged the batteries full and took out for some fun but after about a couple minutes, it looses about half power. New to electronic RC's so need a little help here.

3s x2 peak 45c 5000mah batteries

Anything else you need please let me know

Just sucks, cause all the bragging I did and bash talking on Traxxas, they blew right by me.

Just sucks, cause at first I was blowing right by them. Then I had to put away cause no power

Nope, but sounds like I will have to invest in some

I am making a trip to the LHS tomorrow to get the proper adapter for my batteries. Do you all have any suggestions on some parts I should get that tend to go first?

Steering blocks and maybe A arms I imagine...

i have some beat to sh!t batteries and they still go good... You may have a problem with esc.. Im about to get a typhon on tues and will be swapping esc/motor out... if you determine its bad and want a new motor esc combo let me know...

idk... i haven't had a prob with any of mine yet.... most likely its the battery... or your charger....

First off, welcome to the forum. You wouldn't expect much more time than that on a 5000 maH battery. Also, if you're running a 6s, which I assume you are, it's possible that your punch settings are high. Here's the link to the Typhon 6s manual:
https://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/manuals/ARB10387_6S_BLX.pdf
Pages 27 and 28 show you how to check a lot of the important settings for end points and esc settings. Since it's used, my guess is the last owner jacked it up on the punch. When checking punch settings, you have to listen carefully. 1 to 4 are single beeps, then 5 to 9 are one long beep, followed by the corresponding number of single beeps. I would reset the esc to factory default, which is 4. Also, the next time you charge your batteries, make sure to set the charger to balance setting. After you run, check the batteries with a voltage checker/tester https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-i...e-checker-lipo-battery-1s6s-intc24102/p651712 is an example of what I'm talking about. They're cheap and handy. You need to get a reading on each of the 3 cells and make sure they're all close to the same. If one looks unusually low, you could have a bad cell.
Last thing. When going into the esc and doing all your checks and settings, make sure the failsafe is set too. If your radio goes dead, your truck won't run away on you.
If you're running a 3s Typhon, sorry for wasting your time:)

Running 6s correct (2x3s batteries). I did go through the punch settings cause my daughter was wanting to drive it. I have it set at 1 currently. I did try charging a couple of times but not on the balance mode. But I guess I don't understand that part. So the stupid question is, you plug the little white balance plug and set it to balance mode on the charger? Was told not to worry about putting in balance mode since it was plugged in on the balance board.

Running 6s correct (2x3s batteries). I did go through the punch settings cause my daughter was wanting to drive it. I have it set at 1 currently. I did try charging a couple of times but not on the balance mode. But I guess I don't understand that part. So the stupid question is, you plug the little white balance plug and set it to balance mode on the charger? Was told not to worry about putting in balance mode since it was plugged in on the balance board.
My little Hitec RDX1 has different settings like charge, storage and balance. The only reason I suggest a balance charge is so you can test after you run. I used to just set it to charge too, but I read somewhere that balance charging might extend the life of the battery. It can't hurt.

Yes, use balance charge most of the time. It may be ok to not balance a known good pack once in a while, but most charges should be balanced. And for a new or new-to-you pack, use balance charge mode for the first dozen or so runs, till you know if it balances good.

Also, if you get a lipo as part of a used car deal, never assume it is good, or will hold a full charge. Lots of folks will dump their worst pack into a used car sale to sweeten the deal. Charge it, cycle it, watch it, till it proves to you that it can be trusted.

Yes, use balance charge most of the time. It may be ok to not balance a known good pack once in a while, but most charges should be balanced. And for a new or new-to-you pack, use balance charge mode for the first dozen or so runs, till you know if it balances good.

Also, if you get a lipo as part of a used car deal, never assume it is good, or will hold a full charge. Lots of folks will dump their worst pack into a used car sale to sweeten the deal. Charge it, cycle it, watch it, till it proves to you that it can be trusted.

Does a battery charge quicker if it's not in balance mode?

Yes. Most chargers are limited to around 10w - 0.2a - 0.1a during the balance cycle. So that last 0.02v on one or two cells can take 10 minutes or more. Some of the higher end chargers have 100w or more for balance. When looking at charger specs, check the balance discharge wattage (sometimes listed in miliamps).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back