Batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh nortz

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
I just bought spc racinghard case lipos and they fit perfectly in the nero with stock foam blocks... 7200mah 70c 3s. Much better battery than the onyx 5400mah 50c 3s ive been using. For the money i would say this battery is perfect. 147 with shipping.
20160814_204740.jpg
20160814_204747.jpg

Do they build them with the XT90 connectors?
No
Spc doesn't ship with xt90 connector. You have a choice of either Deans or traxxas and they won't ship without any connectors. I've verified already as I wanted them without any connector and they stated that it'd due to regulations.

Andynero

I just bought spc racinghard case lipos and they fit perfectly in the nero with stock foam blocks... 7200mah 70c 3s. Much better battery than the onyx 5400mah 50c 3s ive been using. For the money i would say this battery is perfect. 147 with shipping.
View attachment 2514 View attachment 2515

These are what I'm ordering next. How do you like them and what sort of runtime are you getting.
I have the 2s 6500mah and ive only ran it once and it gave me about 20min playing time.

Thanks
Andynero

I don't know if they would do that but i am going to email them and see if they will expand connector availability... max amps uses whatever you want for connectors but they are seriously over priced. I am gonna spank my buddys erevo with these batteries in my kraton. Headed to lhs soon to pick up some wheel bearings, a onyx battery he resoldered one of the balance wires for me and have him swap out the connectors on my spc batteries. I will be doing some speed runs later today or tomorrow comparing the onyx and spc batteries. my fiance is gonna video them for me but we have a busey day today may not get to it till tomorrow. Do you guys run fans on your kratons motor? And i have an extra onyx battery that i would sell bought it last wendsday ran 3 or 4 charges is all. If any one is interested let me know. They are good batteries but not as good as spc... i will give a good price... i will also try to list it in the classifides here... last time i tried to list something it would not let me.

I sent an enquiry to SMC last night and got this response a few minutes ago:

Hi Chris,
Yes on some models we offer a connector change option on the packs page where you can select XT90. If a pack doesn't have the connector change option on it's page you can request a connector change in the comments section when checking out.

Regards,
Danny Sullivan

I sent the same enquiry to SPC and I'll post their reply when and if it arrives.

And here's the reply from SPC:

Thank you for your inquiry. We do not carry the XT90 Connectors, only
Traxxas and Deans.

Janice

Last edited:
my local hobby store charges five bucks to soder connectors. I just go by and its 10 minutes...

If I had a local hobby store I'd be more inclined to pick up packs at the best price with whatever connector they had on them but my nearest shop is 40 miles and he is kind of a jerk to you if you want service on anything you didn't buy there. I used to build my NIMH racing packs with loose matched cells and battery bars but I'm not inclined to short out a lipo pack and kill it or set it on fire. My soldering skills are pretty rusty.

Guess I'm lucky. I have two stores close. Bruckner hobbies - great family owned since the 70s. Great store. They barely charge me for minor stuff. Servo install was 20$. They charge 22$/ hour. The other store is Mt Vernon hobbies. Total store from hell. Old guys who are grumpy 24/7. They are ok but never have that part you need.

Im also lucky i have 2 within 25 minutes... they both love me and are great to deal with. I am buying a soldering station soon but its so easy to go have them do it, i have a ton of xt90 connectors ive had all my batteries except the 2s ones converted to xt90 even had xmaxx esc converted to xt90... i solder every day but i use torches. I have no experiance with soldering irons. Im gonna buy one tho i have a few fans i need to solder wires back on and would like to be able to do the batteries i buy as well... smc are good batteries too, i have a 4s 6500mah 65c and like it alot. Picked it up used for 50 bux guy used it 3 times and decided to get out of racing. The smc packs are soft case if i recall correctly thats why i went spc i wanted hard case...

Josh - my 50c onyx batteries seem to be swelling up. It's like they are deciding to balloon like the prolines lol. What's that about? Are they dying? I just got them with the Nero.why does that happen?

Josh - my 50c onyx batteries seem to be swelling up. It's like they are deciding to balloon like the prolines lol. What's that about? Are they dying? I just got them with the Nero.why does that happen?
Yes, my onyx batteries i have 5400mah 3s 50c are doing same thing... i have a traxxas 3s that has been puffed for months it still works just don't like using it they puff cus they are not big enough they get very hot i do not like them at all... i have a brand new one i used 3 times and i wanna sell it... both my others puffed bad last night in kraton... im taking them back to lhs and having them replaced for 79 bux they should last more than a fuckin month... im not at all impressed with them.

No
Spc doesn't ship with xt90 connector. You have a choice of either Deans or traxxas and they won't ship without any connectors. I've verified already as I wanted them without any connector and they stated that it'd due to regulations.

Andynero

These are what I'm ordering next. How do you like them and what sort of runtime are you getting.
I have the 2s 6500mah and ive only ran it once and it gave me about 20min playing time.

Thanks
Andynero
Im getting sround 30 minutes maybe more... i haven't realy paid attention. Broke a rocker post today so i am ordering parts again lol...

Since we're talking batteries! I just received a pair of SMC 2s 60c 9000mah bigguns. I asked for XT90's as well and they delivered.
20160816_194845_resized.jpg
I wanted a set of longer running 4s power so the Nero wouldn't be as nutty as it is on 6s. I haven't run these yet as it's dark and they're still charging.

They fit perfectly width and height wise, and are about an inch longer than the default Onyx 5400's.
20160816_195148_resized.jpg

And just in case anyone had doubts, SMC does test each of their batteries:
20160816_204525.jpg

I'll post back after I give these a full run!

Since we're talking batteries! I just received a pair of SMC 2s 60c 9000mah bigguns. I asked for XT90's as well and they delivered.
View attachment 2559
I wanted a set of longer running 4s power so the Nero wouldn't be as nutty as it is on 6s. I haven't run these yet as it's dark and they're still charging.

They fit perfectly width and height wise, and are about an inch longer than the default Onyx 5400's.
View attachment 2560

And just in case anyone had doubts, SMC does test each of their batteries:
View attachment 2561

I'll post back after I give these a full run!
I have a smc 4s 6500mah 65c battery i am very happy with. The reason i did not buy more smc is i wanted hardcase the soft packs take a beating in my kraton. Smc and spc are both very good batteries. Ive read many reviews of both. My onyx batteries that are a month or so old are both puffing, my trucks are stock except nero has 444oz/in servo and kraton has badlands and a 16 tooth pinion. I got 61 mph out of kraton the other day with the onxy batteries i just don't think an 80 dollar battery should puff after a month. I balance charge them every time and i let themcool completely before recharging them. I storage charge if im having down time. They still puffed... i am not impressed with the onyx batteries and will be taking them back to my lhs where i purchased them and my nero. If they get replaced and they should then im selling them. Its nice smc has xt90 connectors option. my lhs has swapoed out all my vehicles running 3s or more to xt90 i have about 15 sets so for me its not a big deal spc does not have them im happy i get to use all the connectors i bought. The battery on the left is one i got when i bought my nero the one on the right is brand new excatly one week ago, its been ran 3 times. I will never buy another onyx battery just like i will not buy traxxas batteries again... expensive lesson learned.
20160817_075956.jpg

wow...yeah..my soft packs are taking a beating...looking forward to getting the hard case packs...I have rage and electron something packs..both work well...not puffing up yet...and I run the nero several times a week....but...time to upgrade. ..

Well this is what happens when you plug the balance lead into the wrong battery.... ordered another... very expensive lesson learned...
20160817_131515.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back