Battery Charge Rate Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried a balanced charge today at 2c it really didn't seem to charge that much faster on my charger, I don't know if my balance port is limited? It was set on 10 amps, still took well over an hour to charge a 6s from 3.78 volts per cell.
The last 20% of a charge will always take ages compared to the first 80%. A charger doesn't charge to the max of your setting for the whole charge. Most LiPo chargers follow a 2-part process, using a "constant current" technique first and a "constant voltage" technique second. During the "constant current" portion of the process, the charger ramps up to its specified amperage output and keeps that amperage constant as cell voltage rises. When the cells hit a certain threshold, the charger switches over to "constant voltage." During this portion, the charger varies current output to keep all the cells of the battery at the same voltage. Balancing occurs in this part of the charging process. As the charger nears completion, current drops off significantly until the battery is fully charged at 4.20V per cell, at which point the charger stops. Note some of this is a quote I got from some guru ages ago but lost where I got it from to give proper credit.....I ain't that smart, but I can read if the font is large enough :ROFLMAO:

I'm presuming your charging a 5000Mah battery which means your charger needs to be supplying about 252W to charge it at 2C (half of that for 1C). If it can't then it will absolutely charge slower.

What charger?
What charger are you using, @Primarrma ?
What charger setup are you using..?? That seems slow to me..!!

I can do two 6s 6000mAh at 1c in parallel in just under 40 minutes..??? Haven't tried any higher 2c, 3c, etc as I don't think I need to..

Anything under an hour is good as far as I'm concerned, also safety is the number one priority..!!!

If you can't find any information on your batteries just charger at 1c..!!

Don't listen to some random muppet on the internet saying "Oh, it will be fine"..?? no point risking a fire or a ruined battery..?
The last 20% of a charge will always take ages compared to the first 80%. A charger doesn't charge to the max of your setting for the whole charge. Most LiPo chargers follow a 2-part process, using a "constant current" technique first and a "constant voltage" technique second. During the "constant current" portion of the process, the charger ramps up to its specified amperage output and keeps that amperage constant as cell voltage rises. When the cells hit a certain threshold, the charger switches over to "constant voltage." During this portion, the charger varies current output to keep all the cells of the battery at the same voltage. Balancing occurs in this part of the charging process. As the charger nears completion, current drops off significantly until the battery is fully charged at 4.20V per cell, at which point the charger stops. Note some of this is a quote I got from some guru ages ago but lost where I got it from to give proper credit.....I ain't that smart, but I can read if the font is large enough :ROFLMAO:

I'm presuming your charging a 5000Mah battery which means your charger needs to be supplying about 252W to charge it at 2C (half of that for 1C). If it can't then it will absolutely charge slower.
It's this charger, what is everyone else using it would be awesome to be able to charge in under an hour. Thanks for all the info guys.
20190508_175519-01.jpeg

If that's 100W (judging by the name), that's not even enough to charge a 5000mAh 6s at 1C! 5A*6*4.2V = 126W needed... you'll probably see your charging current drop off as the cell voltage increases.

I have the D400. By default it is 200w per channel but you can configure it to have upto 300w on the first channel with the remained on the second channel. I have been very happy with it

I have the D400. By default it is 200w per channel but you can configure it to have upto 300w on the first channel with the remained on the second channel. I have been very happy with it
Oh I'll see if I can allocate some extra to the first channel, thanks bro. I might need a new charger soon.

Oh I'll see if I can allocate some extra to the first channel, thanks bro. I might need a new charger soon.
I was using a couple of single channel skyrc chargersthat I think are either 80w or 50w each. I almost bought yours back into the day but figured 2 single chargers would be better should one die. Just not enough amperage so I finally upgraded and so glad I did. I think I got my unit from Banggood as it was the cheapest about, took 3-4 weeks which was frustrating at the time but in the past now

I was using a couple of single channel skyrc chargersthat I think are either 80w or 50w each. I almost bought yours back into the day but figured 2 single chargers would be better should one die. Just not enough amperage so I finally upgraded and so glad I did. I think I got my unit from Banggood as it was the cheapest about, took 3-4 weeks which was frustrating at the time but in the past now
Thanks again, I'll have to look into it, they aren't cheap a good charger.

Nope it still cost me a couple of hundred bucks, maybe $300 I can’t remember and don’t want to, but we’ll worth it in the long run. I just wish it accepted my Skyrc Wi-Fi adapter so I could monitor it remotely

I already upgraded the original charger I bought haha.
Picked up this Venom charger. I should have gone with a dual from the get go.

Nice to prep two batteries at the same time :)

Feeling a little more comfortable about charging meow. Haven't burnt my place to the ground yet either!

Haven't looked into whether or not my batteries can take charging at 2C, but I should check.

I ended up getting a https://www.skyrc.com/B6nano with the skyrc 380w power supply. It is so much faster than my other charger, but it's not as feature rich, you really need to use the app to use it properly. The d100 is better for the user interface, if you don't mind charging at 100w it's brilliant.

I ended up getting a https://www.skyrc.com/B6nano with the skyrc 380w power supply. It is so much faster than my other charger, but it's not as feature rich, you really need to use the app to use it properly. The d100 is better for the user interface, if you don't mind charging at 100w it's brilliant.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of features is it lacking? I was so surprised to learn that these chargers had an notification when the battery was full. I thought that was the only necessary feature...... I am new haha

Out of curiosity, what kinds of features is it lacking? I was so surprised to learn that these chargers had an notification when the battery was full. I thought that was the only necessary feature...... I am new haha
The thing I don't like is you can't set everything that the charger can do from the buttons, you need the app. The one thing I don't like is that you can't see the individual cell voltages on the screen, with the d100v2 you can. I would rather the high current charge over that though. I'm just glad I have both, the d100v2 is easier to configure for other battery types also. I charge nimh batteries a fair bit too.

I don't think you can read internal resistance with the nano and you need a very high quality power supply to be able to charge at 15 amps

The thing I don't like is you can't set everything that the charger can do from the buttons, you need the app. The one thing I don't like is that you can't see the individual cell voltages on the screen, with the d100v2 you can. I would rather the high current charge over that though. I'm just glad I have both, the d100v2 is easier to configure for other battery types also. I charge nimh batteries a fair bit too.

I don't think you can read internal resistance with the nano and you need a very high quality power supply to be able to charge at 15 amps

Thank you for the insight. Stuff I will keep in mind if I end up replacing my charger... again....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back