battery charger question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rummy12

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
hello everyone
I'm new to the hobby. I got my first rc vehicle on Friday. I have a question about my battery charger. I bought the dynamite prophet sport plus. The battery that came with my truck is a arrma nimh 3300 8.4v. It says to charge it at 1c but my charger doesn't have any "c's" on it. It only has "a's". Is this the same thing? Thanks

I came into this last Feb, still consider myself a noob.
With that said, this video from HH has been my go to on all things on RC battery charging.

Rummy you made it!!! Welcome=) the charging rate was confusing at first. The simplest way to learn is
3000mah at 1c is 3amps
5000mah at 1c is 5 amps
3300mah at 1c is 3.3amps etc

@Rummy12 - welcome to the forum. In complement with what @Rooles said, just divide the number by 1000, and you have your amperage (1000mAh=1A). I only glanced through the video that @Steve posted, but it looks really helpful!

If they didn't mention it in the video: If you're wondering how to calculate the actual amperage output capability of a pack when you're using it, take the "C" rating and multiply it by the amps of the pack. For the equation folks:

C x (mAh/1000) = Output of pack

For example, a 3300mah pack with a 30C rating has an output capability of 99 amps. So for an Arrma vehicle like the Talion that has a 180A ESC (Electronic Speed Controller), you would need a more powerful battery to get the full experience.

Hopefully this makes sense.

@Cranius Maximus - that's how I understand it from a "capability" perspective. From an actual delivery perspective, I'm unsure f the wiring and electrical components in a specific use case could actually pull 320A, especially for more than a few moments. I've come across a number of tests via YouTube and other forums that put batteries to the test in this way, but I've never done it.

Rummy you made it!!! Welcome=) the charging rate was confusing at first. The simplest way to learn is
3000mah at 1c is 3amps
5000mah at 1c is 5 amps
3300mah at 1c is 3.3amps etc
And this applies to nimh too?

20160329_112317.jpg

Need a lil help guys
Its my first time using this hitec x1 touch charging my
Traxxas power cell 3000mah 8.4v 7cell battery
What is the highest charged i can charged this nihm battery?
I have it at 1.5 at the moment since im not sure whats the highest charged i can charged this battery

Thanks

The highest would probably be 2.8, but it would be pretty hot, so set it around 2.6 or 2.7

Try 2.6 first

I have the venom 5000mah NIMH and I set it to 4.6 (4600 mah in 1 hr charge time) I tried it at 5.0 and it was hot... So best keep it safe at 2.6

The highest would probably be 2.8, but it would be pretty hot, so set it around 2.6 or 2.7

Try 2.6 first

I have the venom 5000mah NiMH and I set it to 4.6 (4600 mAh in 1 hr charge time) I tried it at 5.0 and it was hot... So best keep it safe at 2.6
Thanx man
I didnt know the hitec x1 touch will auto detect the amp charged of a nihm :D
Its charged it at 3.0a

I like this charger for a nihm its already finished charging but darn battery is a bit hot
I can hold it in my hand so its only a bit hot

20160329_113838.jpg

I totally forgotten about this battery charger sitting on the corner lol
Now i can chrged battteries anywhere

I know it's not your fault but a part of me got a little chuckle out of the DC to AC to DC charging circuit you have going there. if your Hitec has the option to connect to a DC connection i would see if you can do that, you'll get more efficient charging but i wouldn't try and force any jury rigged connections either if it doesn't have the option.

I know it's not your fault but a part of me got a little chuckle out of the DC to AC to DC charging circuit you have going there. if your Hitec has the option to connect to a DC connection i would see if you can do that, you'll get more efficient charging but i wouldn't try and force any jury rigged connections either if it doesn't have the option.
Wahahahha now that you mentioned it that is funny lol
Its an ac dc charger but i don't have the wires for the dc hahah

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back