Battery chargers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lipo charger I have charges, NIMH & lipo batteries. I have the one from Value Hobby but, I'm sure there are many other chargers that charge both as well. :)

What kind of battery charger do you use with NiMH batteries? Or do you just use the cheesy one that comes with the truck?
I use the Hyperion EOS0606I charger myself. It will charge pretty much any type of battery with no problems at all.

Another good alternative would be the Venom Pro 3. Great all around charger. I've seen others recommend cheaper chargers like Turnigy, I just get a little nervous trusting my LiPo batteries to cheap chargers.

I use a thunder power 610 ac/DC charger. Easy to use and will charge up to 10 amps. It have done a ton of charging with 8t so far. It charges life, lipo, nicad, nimh and some other one as well plus has the ability to charge of a battery or car if your out and about. Would recommend the charger in a heartbeat. Paid around d 130 on amazon for it. Only down fall is that it doesn't do multiple batteries. Depending on if you are planning on really getting into rc that can be a real negative. Now that my son's getting into rc cars as well that charger will be very busy keeping up with two of us. Will likely trade up at some point strictly for that reason alone.

I have an iCharger 206b. You really can't go wrong with this brand as long as the capacity is appropriate. Mine is a bit overkill for my truck, even with a 7200 mah lipo, but I fast charge heli batteries on it 6 at a time and that can eat up those 20 amps pretty quick.

If lipos are in the mix, or might be in the future, make sure it can balance charge. Either way I would suggest getting one that can handle charging your packs somewhere between 1 and 2c. For example, a 5000 mah pack at 1c is a 5a charge rate and 2c is 10a. Add the capacities if you are parallel charging more than one pack at a time.

I use a thunder power 610 ac/DC charger. Easy to use and will charge up to 10 amps. It have done a ton of charging with 8t so far. It charges life, lipo, nicad, nimh and some other one as well plus has the ability to charge of a battery or car if your out and about. Would recommend the charger in a heartbeat. Paid around d 130 on amazon for it. Only down fall is that it doesn't do multiple batteries. Depending on if you are planning on really getting into rc that can be a real negative. Now that my son's getting into rc cars as well that charger will be very busy keeping up with two of us. Will likely trade up at some point strictly for that reason alone.

You should be able to charge multiple packs of the same cell count and similar capacity on that charger with a set of parallel cables. Doing so will cut your available charge rate in half though.

You should be able to charge multiple packs of the same cell count and similar capacity on that charger with a set of parallel cables. Doing so will cut your available charge rate in half though.
How would I do this? Do the lipos gave to be the same mah?

This is from the link I posted in the lipo basics thread in the electronics forum. Speaking of which, this thread should probably be moved there as it isn't really specific to the granite.

Parallel charging can be dangerous if done wrong so do your research before attempting! Do not parallel charge nicad or NiMH!!!

https://sites.google.com/site/tjinguytech/charging-how-tos/parallel-charging

It's also important to note the Wattage available. My charger is a Hitec X1+, with 50W and 6 amps available to charge. All of my 2S packs charge at 1C no problem (5,000mAh is the largest capacity I own). When I go to charge my 3S pack, I can only charge at 4.5amps. So what gives? It's a 5000mAh pack, so I should be able to charge it at 5 amps, right?

Well, amps = charger wattage / battery voltage. So my 3S (5000mAh) battery is 50W / 11.1V = 4.5amps charge rate. I didn't realize this until I started using 3S packs. So it still charges OK, just not a 1C (or 5 amps).

Hopefully this helps and not confuses anyone...o_O

Thanks for all the info it will be a big help, batteries are quite an investment so I want to make sure I get every ounce of juice out of them.

I have the venom pro2. To agree with @WoodiE it charges lipo nimh glow ignitors and pretty much anything else you wanna charge very versatile, :)

I have a value hobby GT6, and its cheap enough, I actually bought two so I can charge multiple packs simultaneously, charges everything, has been working great since January

Sigh i should of looked around
I didnt know we have this thread here for battery chargers
Thanx guys
I will check out all of those chargers posted here

As mentioned up there, the watt rating of your charger is the important number to look at. It doesn't matter if it says 7 amps or whatever if it is a 50 watt charger. Throw a 4s battery on it you will find it will only charge at 3 amps. That is going to take a while. I'd suggest that an 80 watt charger is about the minimum unless you don't mind those long charge times.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back