Battery charging question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finfan88

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I usually run my battery down to 390 on each cell then balance charge. Does it hurt the battery to stop before the average 380 per cell? I have a smc 6s 7400mAh battery.

Doesn't hurt to discharge and then recharge before it bottoms out. If you run your truck and happen to not fully discharge your pack, you can charge it back up with no harm, no foul.

The average is 3.7 per cell.
Really you can go down to 3.5/cell and still do no damage. 3.4 is a little risky but still it’s like a 1% fault chance. I run my batteries to 3.4, no issues, been doing it for years.

This is from SMC:
For maximum cycle life we recommend the cutoff be set on the high side. For stock type motors we recommend that it (discharge) set at 3.4V to 3.5V. When using more powerful motors you can set it to 3.2V as there is more voltage drop under higher amp loads.

The average is 3.7 per cell.
Really you can go down to 3.5/cell and still do no damage. 3.4 is a little risky but still it’s like a 1% fault chance. I run my batteries to 3.4, no issues, been doing it for years.

Lipos can be ran down to 2.8V with no damage to the cells..

Holy mother of what the hell do your poor batteries go through. Many end up damaging them on 3.2v... 2.8 volts?????????? Those packs aren't lasting more than 30 runs before becoming footballs!
Realize after 3.5v a lipo only has about 10% of its capacity left, by the time you get to 3.4 you're looking at 7%... and 3.2 is close to 3%. Below 3 volts the battery is extremely unstable and definitely going to puff.

Lipos can be ran down to 2.8V with no damage to the cells..
Hell, if that works for you awesome but I keep at safe and standard LVC for all my packs anywhere and scary enough. I have some older Floureon 3s packs that never went lower than 3.5 and I can feel the puff enough to start trying to baby em nowadays. In fact, the oldest gensacearespammers 2s packs I've cycled twice as much and always kept at stock LVC have lived on stronger.

I'm not saying run your LVC to 2.8 I'm just saying they are safe down to 2.8 and even lower actually theres a ton of information out there on lipos and the consensus being 2.8 the lowest you wanna go.

as far as why your lipo's puffing that could be from another reason all together.

Deep cycling may not puff the battery, but to will shorten its life cycle.

But to the op-
I usually run my battery down to 390 on each cell then balance charge. Does it hurt the battery to stop before the average 380 per cell? I have a smc 6s 7400mAh battery.
Are you balance charging right after running? And then storing them charged? This is as bad as storing them at 3.4v. Run them down to 3.6v-3.4:, then Storage/ Balance them to 3.8v/3.85v. Store them around 50% charge for best battery life.

Holy mother of what the hell do your poor batteries go through. Many end up damaging them on 3.2v... 2.8 volts?????????? Those packs aren't lasting more than 30 runs before becoming footballs!
Realize after 3.5v a lipo only has about 10% of its capacity left, by the time you get to 3.4 you're looking at 7%... and 3.2 is close to 3%. Below 3 volts the battery is extremely unstable and definitely going to puff.

The way I hammer my trucks, not changing batteries at 3.5v and waiting to 3.2 would buy me about 2 minutes of terrible performance. Why anybody would want that extra few minutes of sluggish performance is beyond me. But to each their own as they say.

I'm just saying they are safe down to 2.8 and even lower actually theres a ton of information out there on lipos and the consensus being 2.8 the lowest you wanna go.
Got any links supporting that? You sure that's not for LiION 18650 type cells vs LiPO packs we use?

I run SMC lipo's for the most part. I have a couple 5200mah 3S HobbyStar's I picked up late last year that don't perform as well. Still, I have my LVC's set at 3.5V and I always storage charge at the end of a bash day and balance charge them the morning before I go out.

I've been running electric for just about 2 years. I'm still running all but 1 of my SMC lipos I bought way back in Jan 2017. One of the original 9000mah 2S packs dropped a cell (voltage drops within an hour or two on it's own). Some of the smaller 7200 2S packs I had take longer to balance, but otherwise work fine. I actually disassembled 3 of the 7200mah 2S packs to build 7200mah 3S packs for my stampde/ejato. They are old cells now with almost 2 years of abuse on them and still work ok. However, they do take a while the last .01v to balance.

Got any links supporting that? You sure that's not for LiION 18650 type cells vs LiPO packs we use?

I run SMC lipo's for the most part. I have a couple 5200mah 3S HobbyStar's I picked up late last year that don't perform as well. Still, I have my LVC's set at 3.5V and I always storage charge at the end of a bash day and balance charge them the morning before I go out.

I've been running electric for just about 2 years. I'm still running all but 1 of my SMC lipos I bought way back in Jan 2017. One of the original 9000mah 2S packs dropped a cell (voltage drops within an hour or two on it's own). Some of the smaller 7200 2S packs I had take longer to balance, but otherwise work fine. I actually disassembled 3 of the 7200mah 2S packs to build 7200mah 3S packs for my stampde/ejato. They are old cells now with almost 2 years of abuse on them and still work ok. However, they do take a while the last .01v to balance.

Google 2.8V lipo theres a grip of sources and yes im sure its lion even tho lipo and lions are onne in the same there both lithium one just uses a gel vs a solid electrolyte.

Theres a few threads on RC talk that go into 12+ pages debating the issue, I don't intend to take us there lol So feel free to google as I said before i'm not here to change anyones LVC or mind about how long they discharge there batteries, But it is fact even if i don't feel the need to back it up with a bunch of links :) No offence I'm just fiddlesticking lazy and did my research already You can too ;)

Google 2.8V lipo theres a grip of sources and yes im sure its lion even tho lipo and lions are onne in the same there both lithium one just uses a gel vs a solid electrolyte.

Theres a few threads on RC talk that go into 12+ pages debating the issue, I don't intend to take us there lol So feel free to google as I said before i'm not here to change anyones LVC or mind about how long they discharge there batteries, But it is fact even if i don't feel the need to back it up with a bunch of links :) No offence I'm just fiddlesticking lazy and did my research already You can too ;)
Yep, googled. Seems while it isn't immediately dangerous, it does shorten the life (quantity of usable charge cycles) a great deal.

Thanks for making google stuff!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back