Kraton Battery Choices For the Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the 1730kv ,motor both work great.The 1480 version needs 6s.

I understand that less juice is needed from the 1730kv vs the stock 2050kv, but is there any performance loss? I'm picturing downgrading from a Tesla to a Prius. Is this an accurate comparison?

Also, do you need an ESC upgrade to run it?

Last edited:
I understand that less juice is needed from the 1730kv vs the stock 2050kv, but is there any performance loss? I'm picturing downgrading from a Tesla to a Prius. Is this an accurate comparison?

Also, do you need an ESC upgrade to run it?

A Kraton with high end electronics is nothing like a ready to run Kraton. Although a ready to run is fine.

Stock I would run a 4s for a few weeks. Break in the Kraton. Then see if you want to change stuff. I think the newer Kratons can run 5S also. The stock motor loves 5S. ( I liked 5s on the 2050KV) The ESC Lipo shut off has to recognize 5s, I think it does now ????? Not positive. I could only get about 18 mins of run time. Speed and power was ok. Very enjoyable and fun. It doesn't have the punch of 6S but it works well with heat. 6S stock might get you a little toasty. A full run of a pack may see some high motor temps.
For strictly 6s.... the 1480kv Leo 4292/4092. (The 4292 has heatsink on the can) that's why it's a little fatter and called a 4292 . I have both of those motors 1730 and 1480. I prefer the 1480 for my usage. it's made for a heavy 1/8 scale to a light 1/5th scale. I'm running large heavy tires, a heavy body, and with a 20 tooth pinion, it does 52 mph. With a 21 tooth, it does 57 mph and I'm being conservative. I can fit in 2 more size pinions !!! I don't even consider that. I just ran this weekend off road, the motor hit 134 degrees F tops. The long motors mass produce more torque. I only run 6s low KV to run longer and cooler with my heavier parts. It just happens to also be insane on torque and 52-57mph is a fast monster truck. I rather not put 6s on a 2050k stock motor If you go 4s 5s you want a higher KV to get the speed and smaller pinions. I get the longest run time on a good 6s battery and low KV long can. Plus you can add weight and still be good on heat. I have no need to run any faster, hotter, or less run time. You can do the same speeds on 4s higher KV as 6s lower KV. However... the higher voltage seems to be something the ESC favors as long as the KV is lowered. . It seems to be more efficient when paired with the proper KV motor. A longer run time can be had and just gear up for speed. 4 pole motors always have plenty of torque. It's not like a gas engine.

Leopard motors do not bolt right into a Kraton. You have to drill and tap the holes out to the same size as the stock motor bolts for the best fit. So mods do take time and effort.

Last edited:
A Kraton with high end electronics is nothing like a ready to run Kraton. Although a ready to run is fine.

Stock I would run a 4s for a few weeks. Break in the Kraton. Then see if you want to change stuff. I think the newer Kratons can run 5S also. The stock motor loves 5S. ( I liked 5s on the 2050KV) The ESC Lipo shut off has to recognize 5s, I think it does now ????? Not positive. I could only get about 18 mins of run time. Speed and power was ok. Very enjoyable and fun. It doesn't have the punch of 6S but it works well with heat. 6S stock might get you a little toasty. A full run of a pack may see some high motor temps.
For strictly 6s.... the 1480kv Leo 4292/4092. (The 4292 has heatsink on the can) that's why it's a little fatter and called a 4292 . I have both of those motors 1730 and 1480. I prefer the 1480 for my usage. it's made for a heavy 1/8 scale to a light 1/5th scale. I'm running large heavy tires, a heavy body, and with a 20 tooth pinion, it does 52 mph. With a 21 tooth, it does 57 mph and I'm being conservative. I can fit in 2 more size pinions !!! I don't even consider that. I just ran this weekend off road, the motor hit 134 degrees F tops. The long motors mass produce more torque. I only run 6s low KV to run longer and cooler with my heavier parts. It just happens to also be insane on torque and 52-57mph is a fast monster truck. I rather not put 6s on a 2050k stock motor If you go 4s 5s you want a higher KV to get the speed and smaller pinions. I get the longest run time on a good 6s battery and low KV long can. Plus you can add weight and still be good on heat. I have no need to run any faster, hotter, or less run time. You can do the same speeds on 4s higher KV as 6s lower KV. However... the higher voltage seems to be something the ESC favors as long as the KV is lowered. . It seems to be more efficient when paired with the proper KV motor. A longer run time can be had and just gear up for speed. 4 pole motors always have plenty of torque. It's not like a gas engine.

Leopard motors do not bolt right into a Kraton. You have to drill and tap the holes out to the same size as the stock motor bolts for the best fit. So mods do take time and effort.
Thoma P uses the 1730 leo on 6s,i will this weekend when my battery shows up.On 4/5s with a 17t pinion it is faster than the stock setup with the same battery with Badland Mx38's.

Great insights!

According to RCJuice support rep, it's confirmed that 5s is indeed recognized on the V2 Kraton stock ESC.

You mentioned only getting 18 min of run time with the stock motor. What mAh and C rating was the 5S pack? Was your pinion gear the stock 12 tooth as well?

In the future, the 1480kv Leo 4292/4092 sounds awesome. Will this application only pair well with 6S, or can I use a 4 or 5S with it also?

I think going 5s with 100c makes the most sense right now to start. If I went this route, what would the top speed be on the standard 12 tooth and stock 2050kv motor?

Great insights!

According to RCJuice support rep, it's confirmed that 5s is indeed recognized on the V2 Kraton stock ESC.

You mentioned only getting 18 min of run time with the stock motor. What mAh and C rating was the 5S pack? Was your pinion gear the stock 12 tooth as well?

In the future, the 1480kv Leo 4292/4092 sounds awesome. Will this application only pair well with 6S, or can I use a 4 or 5S with it also?

I think going 5s with 100c makes the most sense right now to start. If I went this route, what would the top speed be on the standard 12 tooth and stock 2050kv motor?
The 1480 is good on 6s ,but will be very slow on 4s.The 1730 can run 4,5,6s with a 17t and be faster than the stock setup with a 12t.

My Blx185 from my V2 Kraton requires you to set it to nimh setting and use a lipo alarm.

The 1480 is good on 6s ,but will be very slow on 4s.The 1730 can run 4,5,6s with a 17t and be faster than the stock setup with a 12t.

Great insights!

You will be going plenty fast... trust me !

RcJuice makes a nice 5200 mah 5S hard case with xt-90 connector plenty of C, I have Velcro covering my battery label so I can't see it. . I was running 14 tooth with badland tires. 12 tooth maybe for stock tires. (They are taller and heavier) I used no motor fan. Plenty fast, stays cool. Light weight. Very nice happy system.

The Kraton is advertised as a 6S 60mph truck. But that comes with heat and some insanity. Once you get a taste of it... you are hooked. You will see that there is a warning once you dig into the RTR kit. You have to watch temps and stay on the smaller gear. 60 mph is insane for these and it's pushing the limits of the tires. You will find soon you will want thicker center diff silicon to stop the front tires from ballooning on 6s. . For bashing and ripping around, you don't need the speed. I run in the 50-57 mph zone, it's still a bit much. Like I said, I converted to 6s, not for speed but because my rig is turning much heavier tires, I got a much heavier body on it also. I needed a solid 6S setup to get perfect heat, speed and not to mention, my run time is so long I get tired of standing. I like 6s the best but I have no stock electronics now.... diffs are shimmed, fluid changed, different motor and ESC. etc. It will run a full pack and never break a sweat. No warning needed.
The stock motor rips nice on 4S and 5S, get 2 packs so you can get some time. If you want the longest run times on one pack, look into what I got later down the road. 6S has one more gas tank than 5S and 2 more than 4S. So on the same mah.... you run longer, as long as you pick a KV that's suitable for the higher voltage and weight of your rig . Especially tire weight. And the Leopard motors are always beastly. The torque is noticed.

6s is awesome.... slowly work into it if you are new to it. you can run it now but it always got real hot for me on the stock motor.

Attachments

• IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
You guys are making me want to try the Leopard now!!! Think the addiction is getting out of hand, I'm calling the RC crisis line.....Lol

You guys are making me want to try the Leopard now!!! Think the addiction is getting out of hand, I'm calling the RC crisis line.....Lol

Lol... I've been on Christmas vacation for 2 weeks !!!!! I'm sitting home with my young one... he's sick. It's cold and rainy here on the east coast. My Kraton is on the operating table. What else is there to do besides BS with you guys ?Some parts came in today.... nothing exciting.

Lol... I've been on Christmas vacation for 2 weeks !!!!! I'm sitting home with my young one... he's sick. It's cold and rainy here on the east coast. My Kraton is on the operating table. What else is there to do besides BS with you guys ?Some parts came in today.... nothing exciting.
My Kraton is down due to broken shock shaft on backorder, unless I borrow from Outcast, ground is soaked from rain, suppose to dump in CA this weekend, dry tomorrow, going to do some type of driving for sure before next storm...Lots of parts coming, hope my wife doesn't see all of them, if so....oh well.

You will be going plenty fast... trust me !

RcJuice makes a nice 5200 mah 5S hard case with xt-90 connector plenty of C, I have Velcro covering my battery label so I can't see it. . I was running 14 tooth with badland tires. 12 tooth maybe for stock tires. (They are taller and heavier) I used no motor fan. Plenty fast, stays cool. Light weight. Very nice happy system.

The Kraton is advertised as a 6S 60mph truck. But that comes with heat and some insanity. Once you get a taste of it... you are hooked. You will see that there is a warning once you dig into the RTR kit. You have to watch temps and stay on the smaller gear. 60 mph is insane for these and it's pushing the limits of the tires. You will find soon you will want thicker center diff silicon to stop the front tires from ballooning on 6s. . For bashing and ripping around, you don't need the speed. I run in the 50-57 mph zone, it's still a bit much. Like I said, I converted to 6s, not for speed but because my rig is turning much heavier tires, I got a much heavier body on it also. I needed a solid 6S setup to get perfect heat, speed and not to mention, my run time is so long I get tired of standing. I like 6s the best but I have no stock electronics now.... diffs are shimmed, fluid changed, different motor and ESC. etc. It will run a full pack and never break a sweat. No warning needed.
The stock motor rips nice on 4S and 5S, get 2 packs so you can get some time. If you want the longest run times on one pack, look into what I got later down the road. 6S has one more gas tank than 5S and 2 more than 4S. So on the same mah.... you run longer, as long as you pick a KV that's suitable for the higher voltage and weight of your rig . Especially tire weight. And the Leopard motors are always beastly. The torque is noticed.

6s is awesome.... slowly work into it if you are new to it. you can run it now but it always got real hot for me on the stock motor.

I can't see running more than 50-60 mph, but I just want to get there super-fast! With that being said, I'm thinking of just starting out with the 4S, everything stock.

I haven't found a better one than this: https://www.maxamps.com/hard-case-race-edition-lipo-6500-4s-14-8v-dual-core-battery-pack

I want to go 5S, but Max Amps has discouraged me from it, but RCJuice says it's OK. So on the stock motor/ESC, is there a way to (safely) run 5S without issue?

Also, what would be a good AC/DC charger set up that would allow me to charge lets say (4x) 1-6S lipo packs on 5C fast charge?

I can't see running more than 50-60 mph, but I just want to get there super-fast! With that being said, I'm thinking of just starting out with the 4S, everything stock.

I haven't found a better one than this: https://www.maxamps.com/hard-case-race-edition-lipo-6500-4s-14-8v-dual-core-battery-pack

I want to go 5S, but Max Amps has discouraged me from it, but RCJuice says it's OK. So on the stock motor/ESC, is there a way to (safely) run 5S without issue?

Also, what would be a good AC/DC charger set up that would allow me to charge lets say (4x) 1-6S lipo packs on 5C fast charge?
Damn, that is one pricey pack. Don't think you'll get those speed numbers on 4s, I really haven't had temp issues running 6s with even 16 pinion. My packs don't have that mAh or c rating, but I've been very happy even with stock electronics. Just saying because there are lots to pick from, many reliable brands for far less. Just payed 80.00 shipped for 6s SPC which has a great reputation. That was with choice of connector soldered on.

Damn, that is one pricey pack. Don't think you'll get those speed numbers on 4s, I really haven't had temp issues running 6s with even 16 pinion. My packs don't have that mAh or c rating, but I've been very happy even with stock electronics. Just saying because there are lots to pick from, many reliable brands for far less. Just payed 80.00 shipped for 6s SPC which has a great reputation. That was with choice of connector soldered on.

Yeah, I'm pretty stuck on the C Rating. I'd like to stay 90-150

As a noob, I wondered about that.
Higher C should equate to less IR or internal resistance and thus better performance. I'm just glad that I'm happy with the overall performance of what I'm using. I'm not an electrical or lipo battery expert by any stretch. Just not sure you'll need top dollar packs to truly enjoy your rig. On that note, I went to single pack, single EC5 connector off ESC to eliminate extra connector, for simplicity, easy charging, and less potential resistance via the connectors themselves. More connectors does equate to greater potential resistance as does longer wires. You'll find what works for you, and when you get bored...Etc. you'll likely change things around, upgrade stuff, tweak things to your liking. That's part of what makes this such a cool and interesting, and sometimes expensive hobby.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back