Battery connector question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
I received my Nero last night and wanted to switch out the connectors to Deans since that is what all my batteries are. Took it to local business and they had a hard time so they put crimp quick disconnects on the end of the wires and soldered that to the deans connectors. Not real thrilled about it but my question is: Is this OK? Will I lose any current and risk damaging the esc or anything? Thanks in advance. So excited to use it but am afraid to hook any batteries up to it :/

I received my Nero last night and wanted to switch out the connectors to Deans since that is what all my batteries are. Took it to local business and they had a hard time so they put crimp quick disconnects on the end of the wires and soldered that to the deans connectors. Not real thrilled about it but my question is: Is this OK? Will I lose any current and risk damaging the esc or anything? Thanks in advance. So excited to use it but am afraid to hook any batteries up to it :/

may start to heat up the connections...eventually you will need to upgrade the batts to the xt90 min...to keep from heating the deans plugs..they just are not up to the current that the blx 200 can draw......run it for now...get connectors on order and replace those deans...or order a new set of batts with xt90 connectors...

may start to heat up the connections...eventually you will need to upgrade the batts to the xt90 min...to keep from heating the deans plugs..they just are not up to the current that the blx 200 can draw......run it for now...get connectors on order and replace those deans...or order a new set of batts with xt90 connectors...

Agreed. The XT90 are there for a reason. It's not just about performance. Drawing that kind amperage through the wrong connectors/wire size can cause a lot of heat. I've seen them get hot enough to melt solder and connectors back in my racing days.

I run them on my mamba monster 2s with zero issues so guess I figured they'd be OK. I ended up undoing what the shop did and redoing it myself. I am new to soldering and didn't want to mess it up but after seeing what they did..I figured I couldn't do much worse haha. I'll watch temps and change if necessary. Thanks for feedback.

Here you go @WoodiE. The one in the top of the pictures, the quick connect wasn't even soldered, just slid on. The other connector was soldered but the wires pulled out of the quick connects with ease. My solder job was far from perfect but thanks to them I felt like a professional lol.
20170217_175152.jpg 20170217_175226.jpg

I've had good luck with deans and will continue to run them for now. Run them with 6s in my other vehicles with castle mamba monster 2. Still come standard on HPI products, which while HPI has gone through a lot in the last few years, I still have a lot of respect for their products and designs. Thats what drew me to the Nero. Before I bought my HPI Savage Flux(many years ago), it was between that and the e-revo. They both had their advantages. The Nero takes the best of both designs and made a perfect design, IMO, with the twin vertical plates from the Savage and the the lay down shocks and lower COG of the e-revo.

Here you go @WoodiE. The one in the top of the pictures, the quick connect wasn't even soldered, just slid on. The other connector was soldered but the wires pulled out of the quick connects with ease. My solder job was far from perfect but thanks to them I felt like a professional lol.
View attachment 6731 View attachment 6732

WOW! My word of advice is to NEVER have them do ANY electronic work for you ever again. I'd much rather find an electronics group or even a builder/tinker group and have someone do it for you - or better yet get a decent soldering iron and practice yourself.

Whatever you do, never take it back to that LHS to solder anything. I can promise you that spade connector is no where even close to being rated for the amperage your truck is pulling. That is not only stupid of them to do this but very dangerous.

Holy crap!! You can't be serious. I'm saving those pics. Switch everything back to XT90, very easy to solder. Cut the charging leads off and replace with the XT90. Don't be shy to ask this forum how to solder. EC5 are great but harder to solder.

@WoodiE that was my thoughts exactly. When I asked if the setup they did could handle it, they said it was just a continuation of the wire. It was metal so electricity was flowing through it just like it would through the wire. Needless to say I redid it that same night.

@Ole Fart51 thanks for the feedback regarding connectors. I will continue to practice my soldering and if I have any questions, I will be sure to ask. Thanks!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back