Battery gone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkyenergy

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi ya all!

I have a Lipo 4S, 30C, 4000mAh with about 40 load cycles on the back..

When charged, all cells are OK, with a Voltage difference of about 0.01V
But when the car stops due to the empty battery, the battery gets a little warm.. at about 41°C. I use it with a 150A ESC and a 120A brushed motor. The battery is also a little bit rounded up when its warm, but when it cools off it goes back to normal size. (by a little bit i mean that the battery gets about 3/4 mm thicker..)

When the ESC shuts down, the measured voltages of the cellsa re these:
C1: 3,16v
C2: 3,54v
C3: 3,24v
C4: 3,63v

What do you think? is this lipo about to go dead?

Thaaanks!

Hi ya all!

I have a Lipo 4S, 30C, 4000mAh with about 40 load cycles on the back..

When charged, all cells are OK, with a Voltage difference of about 0.01V
But when the car stops due to the empty battery, the battery gets a little warm.. at about 41°C. I use it with a 150A ESC and a 120A brushed motor. The battery is also a little bit rounded up when its warm, but when it cools off it goes back to normal size. (by a little bit i mean that the battery gets about 3/4 mm thicker..)

When the ESC shuts down, the measured voltages of the cellsa re these:

What do you think? is this lipo about to go dead?

Thaaanks!
RIP. I bet the IR of that pack is all over the place.

RIP. I bet the IR of that pack is all over the place.

How can I measure that? Is that the reason for the temperature increase?
Uhm.. now after the last charge the cells are gone nuts... Is it dangerous to use in these conditions?

Attachments

• 15830906923894075938743868715345.jpg
    15830906923894075938743868715345.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 40
How can I measure that? Is that the reason for the temperature increase?
Uhm.. now after the last charge the cells are gone nuts... Is it dangerous to use in these conditions?
The nicer chargers have an ir meter built in but you can buy this and it has that feature https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0178P8H9U/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_OpbxEb0SAGD5V

But short story long that lipo is toast the heat and swelling are clear indicators of that. I would not worry about the ir at that point. Stick it in a vented ammo can with a 12v automotive light bulb connected to it. Stick the ammo can outside and away from anything flammable. Once the bulb goes out completely it will be safe to dispose of. Lowes, Home Depot, Batteries Plus will dispose of the batteries for you.

Thanks, since the battery is fully charged, is it safe to use it one more timento discharge it? With a lightbulb it would take a day... Plus at almost 17V it would probably fry the bulb..

Thanks, since the battery is fully charged, is it safe to use it one more timento discharge it? With a lightbulb it would take a day... Plus at almost 17V it would probably fry the bulb..
I can tell you like to live dangerously. If i was in your position and decided to run it one last time, my truck would catch on fire. That’s my kind of luck. Honestly, I wouldn’t even keep it in the house. Discharge it and recycle it.

Wow, Voltage is all over the place.

She puffed. IR's are high now. Check all your IR's when fully charged and you will find the culprit cell(s) that are toast. Honestly, 40 cycles and you pretty much got your moneys worth. Start shopping for a new one. And, use that battery till it explodes. :LOL:Just watch where you charge it and store it that's all.
Honestly, use at your own risk. I use slightly puffed lipos. But that's on me. Govern yourself accordingly.

When they are new in Factory packaging ( 3.8v/cell), Lipos are shippable to the consumer. (Domestic USA) They are shipped with a Federal Hazmat Certificate. We as consumers can't put them in the mail or ship. That's why no Lipo company wants them back if warranty is considered. They are not allowed to even ask for them or get them back. The consumer is responsible for disposing of them. A federal reg.
Next time you get a new lipo delivered check for that Hazmat label. Its always there.

A lipo with only .10 volts difference after a charge and doesn’t look like a football is nothing even close to “living dangerous” just my opinion. They’re hobby batteries, not some grenades used by the US military. They’re not going to set your house on fire unless they are absolutely giving you a huge middle finger of a warning, one of which is an extreme charge variation, like .3 volts. That’s still a usable pack in a 10th scale vehicle or 8th scale buggy.

A lipo with only .10 volts difference after a charge and doesn’t look like a football is nothing even close to “living dangerous” just my opinion. They’re hobby batteries, not some grenades used by the US military. They’re not going to set your house on fire unless they are absolutely giving you a huge middle finger of a warning, one of which is an extreme charge variation, like .3 volts. That’s still a usable pack in a 10th scale vehicle or 8th scale buggy.

Maybe my math is a bit off but I come up with 0.47v :unsure:

Yeah, (y)Lipo is bricked. you used it well. got your money's worth. If you want to keep using it, that's a personal call. I would toss it. properly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back