Battery issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigj177

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
I some times get a popping issues from the batteries. I’m noticing a arch when I connect the batteries to the ESC CONNECTOR. What’s causing that. Would dye electric grease help with the arching?
Also I have tried two different batteries

DC316BDB-DA3C-4ED3-B8F2-53EFC07A68D4.jpeg

It’s just sparks, you can get anti-spark XT90s to solve that issue. I don’t really worry about it and I run Deans which spark a lot. I am planning on upgrading to EC5/IC5 to solve the issue but I don’t have the money or skills right now.

It's the capacitors in your ESC charging up. Basically you need an anti-spark connector with a resistor that limits the current that the capacitor can draw and that prevents the spark. It looks like you already have an anti-spark XT90 so maybe try plugging it in slower to allow the cap to charge up before fully seating the connector.

8mm bullets would solve this as you can plug them in separately.

It's the capacitors in your ESC charging up. Basically you need an anti-spark connector with a resistor that limits the current that the capacitor can draw and that prevents the spark. It looks like you already have an anti-spark XT90 so maybe try plugging it in slower to allow the cap to charge up before fully seating the connector.
^^^
I agree with you. And I too noticed that the OP has a spark arresting connector on one Lipo pack..
Those anti spark connectors fail at some point. The caps themselves. Probably why the OP has sparking with it, as well as the unprotected one.:unsure:
Ok… But you can at least plug one in at a time instead of both at the same time.
Sure you can, but it doesn't solve the sparking issue at all. The final connection made whether Pos or Neg will make a spark once completing the circuit. Energizing the circuit. Like stated above by @Engineer, the caps and PCB energizing, despite the ESC being in the OFF position. If ESC's were designed much better with this in mind, sparking would not occur. But we are dealing with Hobby grade electrics. Is what it is.
And, I don't feel sparking is much of an issue anyway. Just that over time the arcing will wear out the bullets within, and create a bad connector. Common to change them out for newones. Anti spark connectors may be more important for 8s + setups. Why you see the QS8's for instance being used for higher voltages. Just don't plug the connectors around any combustible material or chemicals.
The sparking caused my Dusty Motors Nylon chassis cover to ignite it on one occasion. A flash fire ensued.
And I am not making this up. :) Call it a fluke. But it did.
Deans or the generic T-Plugs suck. Don't use them. They are old school and for low amp/voltage circuits. Cheap garbage by todays Lipo standards. Risky to use them.
They were originally designed for Nicads and Nims of yesteryear. RC's running 8.4v max. Brushed 540/550 motor setups.
Edited.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back